Modded Mustang Forums banner

Foxbody LS swap can i do it!

13K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  TaterTodd 
#1 ·
I have a 91 foxbody lx with the 4 cyl and i want to do something semi unique i have acess to a 2000 lincoln ls v8 engine computer and tranny would this swap be a feasable thing and what would i expect to encounter. any info including DONT DO IT! is welcome lol couldnt find any forums on it

cheers!

#2 ·
if you want to do a swap in your fox, a 351W or 351C would be the better swap. LS swaps have been done, but are still rare. all in all, its what you want to do with your car. LS series engines are monsters, so if you have the know how, means, and money to do it then why not? just be warned that you will be changing everything drivetrain and suspension wise.

welcome to MM btw

#4 ·
He meant Lincoln LS, not GM LS engines (ls1-ls6 etc.)

I say do it! Back in the early 90's Hot Rod Magazine had their "Dare to be different" slogan. If you need wiring diagrams let me know!

#3 ·
Thanks a million for the reply and i may or may not do the swap to the ls engine the 351w looks awesome the only reason i wanted to the the ls engine instead is it would be unique. anyone know if you can bolt a T5 to that 3.9l? the auto tranny is the 5r55n and new mustangs run the 5r55s i think so shouldent a manual transmission from a newer mustang bolt right up to the lincoln engine?

#6 ·
i have just found out the tranny is not included with this engine and i could get one for 650 but it seems like a real hassle to put an auto in my manual car so i have perused other engines and have decided to snag a triton v10 modular engine and throw it in there eventually i'll bolt a t56 up to it what do you guys think? v10 in a fox body? that was a 4cyl lol some dude did it with twin turbos

#7 ·
Thats def a awsome idea man! Suggestions: Im sure you know this but just in case, the 4 cyl only has a 7.5 rear diff. So that would also have to be changed. 8.8 or just go all out w/ a ford 9". Also, tie that chassis together. The torque of the triton will twist the fox like a pretzel. Frame ties maybe even a small cage on the inside.

Your going to have to do alot of customizing to the engine compartment and underneath, for mounting purposes. You'll prob also need a custom driveshaft.

Good Luck! Keep us updated!

#9 ·
fuel, exhaust, LOADS of time rewiring and getting things to work rt. and if no one has told you. your better off going 5.4 instead of 6.8 you do have the torque you want but a 4500 redline and the pain of wiring it up.when i swapped out my 3.8 in my stang i considered it till i started looking at all the facts.

#12 ·
well what ever you decided to do let me know. I can get diagrams for anything....

I say V10. would be different.

#14 ·
Ya the lincoln mark 8's had a 4.6l dohc engine. I think all the engine swap ideas sound pretty awesome. Personally i think the 3.9L lincoln ls v8 would be a cool swap. I had one in my LS and it was a stout little motor. I had thought about doing a 4.6L cobra swap into my car, but i too want to do something a little different. So for now my plans are to get the newer 2.3 in and swapped to efi. Then just have fun with that while i try to gather parts to do a 2.3l duratec swap in the car. Which should be rather interesting and unique.

#15 ·
I'm one to say go for it. Mustang guys will get pissed, but to me it's just like puttig LS's in RX-7's...

Makes a helluva car.

You do what you want to do. If you want to spend the time on it and enjoy it, than go for it. Your car, your choice.

:2cents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.