Foxbody LS swap can i do it!
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 2.3 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #1

1991 Mustang lx hatch
-

91FOXdude is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to 91FOXdude Send a message via AIM to 91FOXdude

Foxbody LS swap can i do it!

I have a 91 foxbody lx with the 4 cyl and i want to do something semi unique i have acess to a 2000 lincoln ls v8 engine computer and tranny would this swap be a feasable thing and what would i expect to encounter. any info including DONT DO IT! is welcome lol couldnt find any forums on it

cheers!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #2
muneris pro ego

97 5.0 Exploder AWD
snow has nuthin on me

Ninjawafers! is a splendid one to beholdNinjawafers! is a splendid one to beholdNinjawafers! is a splendid one to beholdNinjawafers! is a splendid one to beholdNinjawafers! is a splendid one to beholdNinjawafers! is a splendid one to beholdNinjawafers! is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Ninjawafers! Send a message via Yahoo to Ninjawafers!

if you want to do a swap in your fox, a 351W or 351C would be the better swap. LS swaps have been done, but are still rare. all in all, its what you want to do with your car. LS series engines are monsters, so if you have the know how, means, and money to do it then why not? just be warned that you will be changing everything drivetrain and suspension wise.

welcome to MM btw

Buy my M90 Kit and my Gears and T-Loc!
MM ZDC - Alaska Base Commander
MM+ Cleavage Club #24
MM Cares Crew / Military Crew
M2C2 President / USCG - OS2

Old September 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #3

1991 Mustang lx hatch
-

Thanks a million for the reply and i may or may not do the swap to the ls engine the 351w looks awesome the only reason i wanted to the the ls engine instead is it would be unique. anyone know if you can bolt a T5 to that 3.9l? the auto tranny is the 5r55n and new mustangs run the 5r55s i think so shouldent a manual transmission from a newer mustang bolt right up to the lincoln engine?
Old September 20th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Regular

1993 Mustang LX Notch
as fast as i can push

Chrome_Rust is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chrome_Rust

Originally Posted by 3.8Coastie View Post
if you want to do a swap in your fox, a 351W or 351C would be the better swap. LS swaps have been done, but are still rare. all in all, its what you want to do with your car. LS series engines are monsters, so if you have the know how, means, and money to do it then why not? just be warned that you will be changing everything drivetrain and suspension wise.

welcome to MM btw
He meant Lincoln LS, not GM LS engines (ls1-ls6 etc.)

I say do it! Back in the early 90's Hot Rod Magazine had their "Dare to be different" slogan. If you need wiring diagrams let me know!
302, UDP's,E-cam,1.7's,Explorer Intake,65mmTB,70mm MAF,Ported GT40's,FMS 1 5/8" Shorty's,3.55's,17" American Racing Torque Thrusts,2001 GT Front Brakes,86 SVO Rear Brakes,2001 GT Charcoal Dash swap seats,B&M Pro Ripper,3" Mac Catback,2.5" X-pipe.
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM   #5

1991 Mustang lx hatch
-

Man wiring diagrams would be awesome thanks for the support! in the process of getting the engine
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:45 AM   #6

1991 Mustang lx hatch
-

i have just found out the tranny is not included with this engine and i could get one for 650 but it seems like a real hassle to put an auto in my manual car so i have perused other engines and have decided to snag a triton v10 modular engine and throw it in there eventually i'll bolt a t56 up to it what do you guys think? v10 in a fox body? that was a 4cyl lol some dude did it with twin turbos
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:39 PM   #7

88 Notch
I go in circles

DualXhst289 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 91FOXdude View Post
i have just found out the tranny is not included with this engine and i could get one for 650 but it seems like a real hassle to put an auto in my manual car so i have perused other engines and have decided to snag a triton v10 modular engine and throw it in there eventually i'll bolt a t56 up to it what do you guys think? v10 in a fox body? that was a 4cyl lol some dude did it with twin turbos
Thats def a awsome idea man! Suggestions: Im sure you know this but just in case, the 4 cyl only has a 7.5 rear diff. So that would also have to be changed. 8.8 or just go all out w/ a ford 9". Also, tie that chassis together. The torque of the triton will twist the fox like a pretzel. Frame ties maybe even a small cage on the inside.

Your going to have to do alot of customizing to the engine compartment and underneath, for mounting purposes. You'll prob also need a custom driveshaft.

Good Luck! Keep us updated!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM   #8

1991 Mustang lx hatch
-

yeah looking at at least an 8.8 i mean i could run the 7.5 but it wouldnt last long so the running list is:

Rearend 9inch
chassis ties
brakes
suspension
engine
t56
driveline
wiring

have i forgotten anything or is there other stuff i should be doing?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Regular

another dahm ford

mmikeclass06 is on a distinguished road

fuel, exhaust, LOADS of time rewiring and getting things to work rt. and if no one has told you. your better off going 5.4 instead of 6.8 you do have the torque you want but a 4500 redline and the pain of wiring it up.when i swapped out my 3.8 in my stang i considered it till i started looking at all the facts.

97' 3.8 to 4.6 swap all stock
67' mustang gt coupe
88' ranger, just a clean ass truck
48' jeep cj2 the work hogg
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:20 PM   #10

1991 Mustang lx hatch
-

so the 5.4 is easier to wire up? that was one of my concerns everything else dosnt bother me as much
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:23 PM   #11

1991 Mustang lx hatch
-

Engine pulled from 2004 F150 with 198,000kms. 5.4L SOHC 24 valve modular V8. Only have engine no accessories wiring etc...

what do you think? decent deal? i could get the v10 for 300$ with a wiring harness and 176k this one is 450
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:34 PM   #12
Regular

1993 Mustang LX Notch
as fast as i can push

Chrome_Rust is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chrome_Rust

well what ever you decided to do let me know. I can get diagrams for anything....

I say V10. would be different.
302, UDP's,E-cam,1.7's,Explorer Intake,65mmTB,70mm MAF,Ported GT40's,FMS 1 5/8" Shorty's,3.55's,17" American Racing Torque Thrusts,2001 GT Front Brakes,86 SVO Rear Brakes,2001 GT Charcoal Dash swap seats,B&M Pro Ripper,3" Mac Catback,2.5" X-pipe.
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #13
Regular

1988 Mustang LX coupe

TaterTodd is on a distinguished road

If I'm not mistaken wasn't the lincoln mark VIII engines the same as the Cobra engines ....
Old August 24th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #14
Regular

Av8tor is on a distinguished road

Ya the lincoln mark 8's had a 4.6l dohc engine. I think all the engine swap ideas sound pretty awesome. Personally i think the 3.9L lincoln ls v8 would be a cool swap. I had one in my LS and it was a stout little motor. I had thought about doing a 4.6L cobra swap into my car, but i too want to do something a little different. So for now my plans are to get the newer 2.3 in and swapped to efi. Then just have fun with that while i try to gather parts to do a 2.3l duratec swap in the car. Which should be rather interesting and unique.
Old August 24th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #15
Resident DJ

'01 Cobra Vert.

Lefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one to say go for it. Mustang guys will get pissed, but to me it's just like puttig LS's in RX-7's...

Makes a helluva car.

You do what you want to do. If you want to spend the time on it and enjoy it, than go for it. Your car, your choice.

2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe (the daily)
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition (the other toy)
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #16
Regular

1988 Mustang LX coupe

TaterTodd is on a distinguished road

2004 Thunderbirds are running the 3.9 V-8's also. They were a decent little engine. I didn't realize that was the size of engine in the LS's ...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Foxbody LS swap can i do it!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Foxbody is #1 Speedstang302 5.0 Mustangs 76 March 24th, 2012 09:35 PM
351w swap into foxbody Speedstang302 5.0 Mustangs 15 June 11th, 2009 11:26 PM
A/c on 93 foxbody sctravis77 5.0 Mustangs 2 March 6th, 2009 07:39 PM
4.6 from a lincoln mark viii in a foxbody swap? rusty2407 5.0 Mustangs 4 November 20th, 2008 10:27 PM
90 foxbody 1990gtfreak 5.0 Mustangs 7 June 3rd, 2007 12:02 AM