HELP: 89 mustang. 2.3 not sure where to start
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 2.3 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Regular

1989 Mustang LX

sam89 is on a distinguished road

HELP: 89 mustang. 2.3 not sure where to start

im sure there are places to look on here for this information but i dont wanna search for days. i just got a 89 mustang and am lookin to do some cheap performance mods in all aspects. anyone have any good recommendations to start with. id like to make it look and perform better than stock.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Is the game, Ross is the name.

1998 M3,2K8 Ninja 250
Faster Than Fapsmith's Asian Girl

6DXR is a name known to all6DXR is a name known to all6DXR is a name known to all6DXR is a name known to all6DXR is a name known to all6DXR is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 6DXR

Cai, gears, udp's, exhaust, short shift. The works. Just search bolt on's
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Regular

1989 Mustang LX

is blocking off the egr as helpful as i've read. and whats the easiest and cheapest way to do a cold air intake
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Regular

1988 Mustang LX 2.3T

akatagyourit is on a distinguished road

Not to be a dick but if you had chosen to open your eyes the very first sticky in this forum is a 2.3L N/A performance thread. I'll make it even easier for you.

2.3 N/A Performance Thread

EGR delete isn't a huge help honestly. The N/A motors require a lot of money and time to get significant gains out of them. Better of just leaving it stock and doing a 2.3T swap or 5.0 conversion.
Old December 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Regular

1989 Mustang LX

well i read the performance thread but i didnt know exactly where to start on a budget. if i had 500 extra bucks to blow id be doin everything i could outta that thread. and whats the cost of a 2.3T swap anyways.
Old December 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Regular

1988 Mustang LX 2.3T

Usually i can find a block for with head for about 200-300 locally then it needs a rebuild. So rebuilt head is 165 and around 4-600 for the bottom end rebuild. Get a turbo for it and motor is done, just need an ecu for it and to repin the wiring harness. I think I did my 2.3T swap total for like around 2k.
Old December 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Regular

1989 Mustang LX

alright well i may do that in the future it sounds like it makes good project for the money and power. is there any common issues i may find or no.
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #8
Regular

1988 Mustang LX 2.3T

not really, it was pretty stream lined for us. I actually had a buddy locally who's done these swaps quite a bit and he was there to help. I think the hardest part of it was the wiring harness. Everything else was just plug in play.
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM   #9
Regular

1989 Mustang LX

so maybe im just retarded. but is there a way to just cut out one of the cats and put a straight pipe in or would i have to cut a way before and after it and make the bends and stuff. i bought a 18 inch straight pipe from autozone thinkin it'd be just that easy but i just looked and there are bends right before andafter the the second cat.
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Granny Shifter

1997 Mustang GT
13.118@120.64

NO_PI_NO_POWER will become famous soon enoughNO_PI_NO_POWER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NO_PI_NO_POWER Send a message via Yahoo to NO_PI_NO_POWER Send a message via Skype™ to NO_PI_NO_POWER

I just got myself one of these 89 2.3L's today, im gonna start workin on mine tomorrow.

Never Lift Racecars
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

Supercharged 89'/ 85' SVO
11.945 @ 119.6

OHC230 is on a distinguished road

I just got myself one of these 89 2.3L's today, im gonna start workin on mine tomorrow.

Be careful, they are horribly addictive!
Old January 25th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Granny Shifter

1997 Mustang GT
13.118@120.64

NO_PI_NO_POWER will become famous soon enoughNO_PI_NO_POWER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NO_PI_NO_POWER Send a message via Yahoo to NO_PI_NO_POWER Send a message via Skype™ to NO_PI_NO_POWER

Uh oh, lol.

Never Lift Racecars
Old January 25th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #13
Enthusiast

Enzo_Guy has a spectacular aura aboutEnzo_Guy has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Enzo_Guy

Originally Posted by akatagyourit View Post
Better of just leaving it stock and doing a 2.3T swap or 5.0 conversion.
This is the truth. The 2.3L N/A is a Pinto motor built for fuel economy, get rid of it for either a turbo 2.3L (usually referred to as 2.3T) or a 5.0L. Swapping to either motor involves time, money, and above all else you need to RESEARCH what you are doing. The major difference between these motors is what you are looking for in your specific application. The 5.0 will be cheap but need more extras to make it work, the 2.3T motor may be more expensive to purchase but is more of a plug-and-play application. Stock-for-stock the 2.3T will likely yield similar, if not better, performance numbers compared to the 5.0.

5.0L swap:
Being a V8 going into a 4-banger, you will need to do a little more front suspension and fuel system modifications to accommodate it. You will need to do a k-member swap to hold the 302; you may also find yourself wanting to use heavier springs and shocks depending on the condition of what you have now. The advantage to going this way is that the 5.0 is extremely popular, used parts are cheap and plentiful, and there is a wide selection of performance parts on the aftermarket. A potential benefit here would running a carburetor, depending on how good you are with fuel injection.
If you are looking to roast rear tires, rumble at stop lights, and build a naturally aspirated motor then this would be my recommendation. Other items that will most likely have to be examined and/or replaced include the rear differential, rear axles, the transmission, and wider wheels/tires depending on torque output. Information on swapping the motor and building it is quite abundant, finding a combination of performance parts to meet your desired power output is a google search away.

2.3T swap:
Not as common in the aftermarket or to find parts for, but don't think it can't be fast (and performance prices are not far from the 5.0). The 2.3T is a strong initial starting point for a performance build, even by modern standards. For swapping in a stock motor, you won't need to do too much to the car itself initially to accept the motor, probably just fuel system upgrades and other miscellaneous items. Want more power? Turn up the boost. This motor is capable of HUGE power for a 4-cylinder: John Huber's Mustang, the SVO, the Thunderbird S/C, the RS200 rally car (BEAST!!!!!), and even swapped Rangers are all good examples of what it can do. The aftermarket is considerably smaller, but the stuff available is generally very good quality.

My personal pick:
For a dedicated street or street/strip build, I'm 2.3T all the way.
Lowered truck? No

When you have a Ford Ranger packing a turbo 4-cylinder, all you can do is park in the back of the car show and realize that you're one-of-a-kind.

Last edited by Enzo_Guy; January 25th, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old January 27th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Granny Shifter

1997 Mustang GT
13.118@120.64

I've been running the car around the past couple days, it's dangerously quick, trapping at 53mph in the quarter.

Never Lift Racecars
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM   #15
Enthusiast

Enzo_Guy has a spectacular aura aboutEnzo_Guy has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Enzo_Guy

Originally Posted by NO_PI_NO_POWER View Post
I've been running the car around the past couple days, it's dangerously quick, trapping at 53mph in the quarter.
Careful, you might be able to go over the speed limit in that car!
Lowered truck? No

When you have a Ford Ranger packing a turbo 4-cylinder, all you can do is park in the back of the car show and realize that you're one-of-a-kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: HELP: 89 mustang. 2.3 not sure where to start
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1992 Mustang LX with 5.0 no start 05mustang_TT_charged 5.0 Mustangs 14 February 3rd, 2009 10:35 PM
what should i do with my v6 mustang to start with? Millan2007 V6 Mustangs 16 March 4th, 2007 03:20 PM
87 Mustang 5.0 won't start jtillery 5.0 Mustangs 6 November 26th, 2006 03:49 PM
95 Mustang Won't Start agrigar V6 Mustangs 9 September 24th, 2006 08:18 PM
'90 mustang will not start. HELP!! dkrch General Tech 11 June 23rd, 2006 11:10 AM