2.3T
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 2.3 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #1

87LX is on a distinguished road

2.3T

Hey guys, I'm new here. I've got an 87 lx (2.3 n/a), completely stock. My plan was to build a 347 stroker this year, but with the rising gas prices a 2.3T sounds better and better, especially as this is my daily driver. I read the sticky about the swap, but had a few questions. I'm keeping an eye open for a turbo coupe, and hear that I'll be getting roughly 200hp from a freshly rebuilt 2.3T. How many of you guys have hit 350hp with a 2.3T? With the 4cyl, I'd imagine I wouldn't get nearly as much torque as with the stroker, even if I get it up to the same hp, true? How much torque do your 2.3T's make? A couple of my friends drive cars in the 380hp range, and I'd like to run with them. How much cash do you figure I'll have to dump into this to make it happen? I'll be swapping the auto for a t5 at the same time, shouldn't be too tough, should it? Also, do you think the 7.5 rear end will be alright with that much power, or should I get an 8.8?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Regular

1988 Mustang LX 2.3T

akatagyourit is on a distinguished road

the 7.5 will run for a bit but if your looking for gas milage get rid of the 3.73 gears in it and go with 3.55 gears. I just recently swapped over to the 2.3T setup and love it. I'm only in the 200rwhp range no official dyno yet, but its a blast. I've got 3.73 and run on the highway alot of the time and doing 85mph down the interstate = tacking 3k rpms in 5th gear. Not best for gas milage. As for hitting 300+ hp just gotta mod, tune and dyno to get to you range. Quickest way I'd say to increase the hp on a stock motor is get a boost controller and max the boost out, but while doing this replace the head studs and gasket as the stock gaskets don't like very high boost, I just blew my headgasket under 25psi. Other than that, a front mount intercooler will pep it up then from there probably going with more costly stuff. If your doing a full rebuild on the motor before putting it in, i'd recommend getting the stroker kit for it. Theres one on needhp.com I believe thats 1400 but its the crank, rods, pistons everything for the lower end essentially. Get that and a bare block and take it to a machinist and have them hone, bore, and balance the block and you'll have a rock solid bottom end, then its just dealing with head work, exhaust, and turbo/intercooler modifications. Also make sure you get a 255lph fuel pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator for it. Otherwise once you start modding the motor your gonna run lean.
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

90 vert

shadowgames81 will become famous soon enough

If I was gonna do it I'd find a complete turbobird thas in a junk yard and snatch everything from it. It had an 8.8 in it w/ disc brakes and auto was 3.73 gear and standards had 3.55 gears. plus the 87-88 had top mount intercooler. Stock they had 190hp I believe. Plenty of performance mods you can do to them. I have a friend doing the swap into a ranger currently and it has been bored and forged internals. He's bumpin the boost up and should have a very quick ride. I just think gettin the whole car would be better because you get so much from it and its not much more than buying just the engine and tranny.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Regular

1988 Mustang LX 2.3T

Up to you, I did the swap on my 1988 2.3L LX mustang and the motor + mods + install was about 2800, I need to get the rear end with disc brakes still and beef it up but i'm happy with it. 25psi from the t3 turbo, gutted upper with the sn95 65mm throttle body plus all the intercooler piping for the isuzu front mount intercooler. Works decently, but ya if you can get a whole car that would be the best course. You can salvage alot of the wires from the harness unless you want to swap it out, but there is alot of stuff on the turbo bird that the n/a 2.3s do not have.
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #5

I guess you really do learn someting almost every day. I didn't know the turbo coupes came with 8.8's. As for the complete rebuild, I don't have my turbo coupe parts car yet so I'm not sure. If i can score one with real low km's I wont bother... so it wont get the stroker kit either. Anyone know how much power I'd gain with the extra few cubes anyway?
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

90 vert

not too sure how much extra power you get but I'd think it'd be just like the diff between a 302 and a 347 stroker......enough to warrant doing it if you have the extra money I would say. I'm not an expert though so I'd still get another opinion. Definitely a fun car/motor to mess w/
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

whtpny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to whtpny

i just hope i have the cash whenever i stumble across one of these.. i think they'd be a fun project/dd.. there is a guy selling a gt turbo just a few minutes from me but hes asking a little much and it's outta my price range currently

Mods: Fidanza Al Flywheel, Steeda UDP, EMP/Stewart Components WP, PP Plenum, K&N FIPK, Mac Prochamber, Magnapacks
WhtPny's Videos
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Regular

1988 Mustang LX 2.3T

Oh the 2.3Ts are major fun. Im glad I did the conversion. Its god alot more pep to it than the na motors. As for the stroker kit, well it increases the displacement period thats already more power there, but when you ad more boost to it youll be building quite a fair deal of power easy. Im in the mark for a bare 2.3T block right now to build up and then swap into my car. Im gonna be getting the stroker kit or at least just the crank and doing research for the build up. Im trying to achieve 6-700hp by the time im done with this thing.
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Regular

1992 4cyl hatch
too slow

lite_em_up is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lite_em_up Send a message via MSN to lite_em_up Send a message via Yahoo to lite_em_up

We built a 2.3tt... it was a little more interesting... but not sure you wanna drop that kind of cash... but I will say buying the stroker crank will def. help in the long run.
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #10

I'm a student, so I'm deffinately on a tight budget, which kinda shuts down the twin turbo idea. That'd be interesting though. I don't really have any experience with forced induction. That being said, I'm an engineering student so it's pretty easy to find people willing to lend a hand when I can't figure something out . I could see the stroker kit increasing torque a lot with the longer stroke, and there'd obviously be a fair hp gain aswell, was just wondering if anyone had a number. The stroker kit sounds like a better idea the more I think about it, and then I'll still end up with a stroker like I wanted to build originally .
Old May 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #11
Regular

1992 4cyl hatch
too slow

lite_em_up is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lite_em_up Send a message via MSN to lite_em_up Send a message via Yahoo to lite_em_up

I dont know any numbers on the stroke alone... we didnt do any dyno testing on the stoke alone... now that I think of it we didnt dyno it at all
Old May 25th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

90 vert

I know my 88 Turbobird is a blast. You'll love it when you get one. I see blocks all the time so if I see one I'll let you guys know and see if ya'll wanna see about getting it.
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #13
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1988 Mustang LX Turbo

TurboLX has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLX has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to TurboLX

My 2.3 was 491hp before i snapped a valve, im shooting for 700now on a Ford Racing 2.5 Block
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.