Reprogram computer/ speedometer for bigger rims?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs > 2005 - 2010 V6

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Regular

2010 Mustang V6

whiteandblack'10 is on a distinguished road
Question

Reprogram computer/ speedometer for bigger rims?

So I got my new rims and my mom has been nagging at me to get the computer reprogrammed because they put some rims on their Yukon and never had it reprogrammed and it messed up their transmission (supposedly). Anyways I took my car in to get an oil change today at ford and asked them if they could reprogram the computer or whatever and at first he was like oh yea' for sure then he called some guy and apparently they're not sure if they can do it on my car? They were gonna charge me 96$ to take a look at it and if they could do it then cool but if not then I'd have just thrown away 96$ basically. Anyways I guess my question is has anyone had this problem? And if so is it possible to do? Or are they being weird cuz they're after market rims or whatever? I mean I think it shouldn't be a problem since they're the same size as the gt500 rims but idk I'm just confused. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #2
!FACEPLATED!

2002 Mustang GT
7.84 @ 86.01

F8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to F8L GT

did you change tire diameter or are they the same diameter? if they are the same then you are fine. if they are a different diameter and you have an auto, then yes you need to have it reprogrammed. ford can do it, they just have to go into the computer and change the tire diameter, or you can buy a tuner and do it yourself

MM Bracket Racing Crew Co-Founder

Old February 7th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Regular

2010 Mustang V6

See that's what I thought. So I could just get like
The sct x3 tuner and do it on there? And yea' it definitely changed the diameter
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #4
!FACEPLATED!

2002 Mustang GT
7.84 @ 86.01

F8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond reputeF8L GT has a reputation beyond repute

yes you can do it with that

Old February 7th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #5
!FACEPLATED!

2002 Mustang GT
7.84 @ 86.01

I just looked at your other thread. you should be fine without tuning for them. The tires you got are almost the same overall diameter as the stock tires so theres no need to change the tune

Old February 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #6

Nick_Adam is on a distinguished road

It wont hurt your trany at all thats just stupid it will just mess with your spedo and it will make that read off... You can buy a tuner or have for re-cal it for you... I would buy the tuner they are a life saver
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #7
!FACEPLATED!

2002 Mustang GT
7.84 @ 86.01

if the tires were a diff diameter and him being an auto, it very well mess up the trans. with the computer not programmed to the right size, it gives the wrong vss readings making the trans shift at the wrong time which after time, will ruin the trans. but the op doesnt have to worry about that since his tires are the same diameter

Old February 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #8
Admanistrator

15.10@93.13

v606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to v606er

:

Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
i liked the chilean miners before they went all mainstream. i liked them back when they were still underground.
MAD Stangs #8
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #9

LinT is on a distinguished road

So you went from 17 stock rims on a 2010 v6 to 19 inch rims...right? I just left ford asking if i could do the same thing and they said NO, because 19 inch rims were not an option for any 2010 v6 model, so its not an option in the computer to calibrate the speedometer. Were you able to get it calibrated? (also, they said it would mess up my trans if i didnt have it calibrated)
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #10
!FACEPLATED!

2002 Mustang GT
7.84 @ 86.01

the rims have nothing to do with calibrating the speedo. the only time you have to calibrate the speedo is when you go with taller/smaller tires, not rims

Old February 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #11

Originally Posted by F8L GT View Post
the rims have nothing to do with calibrating the speedo. the only time you have to calibrate the speedo is when you go with taller/smaller tires, not rims
I'd be going from 215 60 17 to 245 45 19. I know someone said that going to that size wouldnt throw off the speedo but can anyone else confirm??
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #12
!FACEPLATED!

2002 Mustang GT
7.84 @ 86.01

the new tires are a half inch taller. I doubt with that little bit of a difference you would even notice or hurt the trans any. but if you didnt want to take the chance then I would get a tuner at the same time and change for the tire size added

Old February 19th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #13

the new tires are a half inch taller. I doubt with that little bit of a difference you would even notice or hurt the trans any. but if you didnt want to take the chance then I would get a tuner at the same time and change for the tire size added
ballpark... how much is a tuner? Ford said that 19 inch wasnt an option in the cars computer. would an aftermarket tuner be able to change it to 19?
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #14
!FACEPLATED!

2002 Mustang GT
7.84 @ 86.01

yes it will. you can change to which ever diameter you have. they might not have the options with what they have but an aftermarket tuner can change how many revs per mile you get from the tires. tuners can run anywhere from 150-300 depending on if you buy used or new

Old February 20th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #15

what if i went with the brembo rims? I think they are 255 40/19. Do you think I'd need to recalc the speedo with those? Also, is there any issue putting brembo rims on a stock v6 mustang?
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Admanistrator

15.10@93.13

v606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to v606er

Originally Posted by LinT View Post
what if i went with the brembo rims? I think they are 255 40/19. Do you think I'd need to recalc the speedo with those? Also, is there any issue putting brembo rims on a stock v6 mustang?
Reread what f8l gt said about the rims size not messing up the speedo.

The numbers you mentioned are the tire size. 19 inches is 19 inches is 19 inches.

Brembo is a break company. I don't know what you mean by brembo rims.

Do you want to upgrade your breaks too? If you have the 19" wheels, you will be able to use pretty much any break system out there.

Here: 2005-2010 Ford Mustang Chips & Mustang Tuners at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Get one of these tuners. Call the people at that shop and tell them what you're trying to do, and ask about the custom or preloaded tunes.

Edit: http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...b-ar56450.html

Are those the Brembo rims you're thinking of? If so, don't buy them. They kill babies and small puppies.

Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
i liked the chilean miners before they went all mainstream. i liked them back when they were still underground.
MAD Stangs #8
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #17
!FACEPLATED!

2002 Mustang GT
7.84 @ 86.01

he mentions brembo because of the wheels that come on a mustang when you order the brembo package. With a 255/40R19 you should be fine

Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:39 PM   #18

OK, i did it! I just bought the "brembo" rims with the 255/40R19 tires and will be putting them on my mustang this weekend!
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #19
Regular

2010 Mustang V6

Good stuff here guys thanks.
And LinT! U better put up some pics!
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #20

arrrghh... it wont let me upload a pic!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Reprogram computer/ speedometer for bigger rims?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
purpose of bigger MAF and bigger throttle body??? 1996blacksgt 96 - 98 13 October 18th, 2010 11:16 PM
speedometer calibration because bigger wheels/tires? CruizinKev General Tech 2 October 16th, 2008 02:43 PM
Bigger tires while not changeing rims flattusmaximus78 2005 - 2010 20 September 30th, 2007 07:59 PM
Why 18" rims and not bigger? DaemonJ V6 Mustangs 30 January 26th, 2007 08:56 PM
bigger rims GTSilver 99 - 04 2 August 28th, 2006 02:59 PM