$550 To install Racing Stripes!??!?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs > 2005 - 2010 V6

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Regular

2009 V6

Dreamer is on a distinguished road

$550 To install Racing Stripes!??!?

WHAT THE FU#@!?

I was prepared for 2...maybe 250$ to install but 550?! WOW for that I could jus get some damn 4.10s or LTs.

Is that the reasonable price?? The stripes alone weren't more than 100, I understand it takes hours but JESUS.

I live in brooklyn, ny does anyone anywhere know somewhere far less expensive?? Or will I have to suck it up and pay the bill.... I can't do it on my own (don't have the time or garage to do it in) so I have to bring my stripes somewhere.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #2
SPAMMER

2002, Ford, v6

ESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T Send a message via Yahoo to ESG-642T

Its paint, personally I wouldn't waste the money.

Edit:
If your car is the silver one in the garage, it needs rims before you go putting racing stripes on it.
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Regular

2009 V6

It is the silver one. And the stripes are vinyls not paint. And vinyls are alot cheaper than rims. Rims have to wait, for some reason rims aren't that high on the priority list to me. But I am going to do wheels and tires at the same time from AM so they can be mounted and balanced there and i can jus put them right on.

But is 550$ a fair estimate? I called another sign shop and they said "300 would be if its done quick.... but honestly depending on how long it take it might go up to 600"

I don't want to go somewhere thinking 300 - 400 and then when the job is done they go "its 600 cuz we needed an extra hour" =(
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #4
SPAMMER

2002, Ford, v6

ESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to all

Eh, I still wouldn't do it...

But its your car have fun.
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #5
2009 ROTY

2003 SVT Cobra
11.07@127

AzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud ofAzSonicSnake has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to AzSonicSnake Send a message via MSN to AzSonicSnake

you get what you pay for. and honestly, that price does not sound too far off. it takes a few hours, and well, time is money.

MM Cobra Club #25 My Autolog Profile
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Regular

2009 V6

No wonder everyone does it on their own. I would try to but i don't have a garage =( and I don't plan on running 60ft extension cord wires out my 4th floor apartment into the street so I can use a hair dryer to heat the vinyls lol. I guess i'll have to put down that $$. I really wanted these stripes on.
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Banned

6ER THEN I 8ER! has a reputation beyond repute6ER THEN I 8ER! has a reputation beyond repute6ER THEN I 8ER! has a reputation beyond repute6ER THEN I 8ER! has a reputation beyond repute6ER THEN I 8ER! has a reputation beyond repute6ER THEN I 8ER! has a reputation beyond repute6ER THEN I 8ER! has a reputation beyond repute6ER THEN I 8ER! has a reputation beyond repute6ER THEN I 8ER! has a reputation beyond repute6ER THEN I 8ER! has a reputation beyond repute6ER THEN I 8ER! has a reputation beyond repute

i dont heat vinyls when applying them to a vehicle....i heat vinyls when removing them...take your time and use something to press the air out as you put it on and your golden...the first time i've ever used vinyl was on my old v6...it was a stripe setup . took me 2 hours and a mnt dew
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Regular

2000 mustang v6
????

GOLDSTANG is on a distinguished road

instead buy tuner,or gears,t-lok,lowering, springs,cai one of those things i wouldnt even pay 100 for vinyls
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Regular

2002 mustang gt

shelton gt 500 is on a distinguished road

when installing the stripes make sure its above 65 degrees and have a freind there to help out.....use 1 tea spoon of dishwashing liquid in a 20oz bottle and fill the rest with water. Clean the area thats going to be applied very good. Spray the area on the car with the soapy water and then when you begin to peel the vinyl away from the papper spray it as you peel it off to prevent sticking. place the vinyl in the locaton that you want. Now use a putty squigy and start from the very end and work your way to the other end.....you can never use to much soapy water. Take your time and you can do this and save allot of money!!!!!
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Turbo'd Hot Hatch

2013 Focus ST
N/A

STRob will become famous soon enoughSTRob will become famous soon enough

Yeah that's about right for installation costs. I'm lucky, my parents do a lot of work with vinyl so they have experience putting it on. Didn't cost me a dime and turned out great.

Like the other members said, do on it a good day, use water mixed with a little soap, and have a buddy help you out. Also if you have a big enough garage to do it in, I would suggest doing it in there. It helps not having to worry about random elements outside.

Above all be patient and take your time.

Edit: Didn't see the part about you not having a garage, but don't worry about it. As 6er said, heat isn't needed. Only time we used it was to smooth the vinyl around corners/edges and to work out bubbles.
ST2 Build Thread
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #11
SPAMMER

2002, Ford, v6

Originally Posted by GOLDSTANG View Post
instead buy tuner,or gears,t-lok,lowering, springs,cai one of those things i wouldnt even pay 100 for vinyls
^this guy.
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #12
Regular

2009 Mustang V6 45thAnn
Not Tested

45thAnniversaryMustang is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
WHAT THE FU#@!?

I was prepared for 2...maybe 250$ to install but 550?! WOW for that I could jus get some damn 4.10s or LTs.

Is that the reasonable price?? The stripes alone weren't more than 100, I understand it takes hours but JESUS.

I live in brooklyn, ny does anyone anywhere know somewhere far less expensive?? Or will I have to suck it up and pay the bill.... I can't do it on my own (don't have the time or garage to do it in) so I have to bring my stripes somewhere.
i live in cincinnati ohio, i only payed 250
Crew Member #1

MM+ Cleavage Member # 26
MM ZDC - Ohio Base Commander
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Regular

2006 Mustang V6

TrueVF66 is on a distinguished road

the Ford dealership in my town offered to paint some on my car for 650$ and they told me with out a doubt i wont have to pay more then that. Paint them its way better and about the same price
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #14
I Handle Meat Entirely Way Too Much

2008 Mustang V6

serbiandude has much to be proud ofserbiandude has much to be proud ofserbiandude has much to be proud ofserbiandude has much to be proud ofserbiandude has much to be proud ofserbiandude has much to be proud ofserbiandude has much to be proud ofserbiandude has much to be proud ofserbiandude has much to be proud of

cost me 350$ with buyin them and installation

HANDSOME MEN'S CLUB -FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #15
Enthusiast

2005 Mustang GT Vert

Beerhunter will become famous soon enoughBeerhunter will become famous soon enough

...as an experience installer...

If you are supplying stripes that are just cut straight as apposed the stripes that are pre-cut it is going to take a lot longer to install as you have to cut around everything... gas cap, license plate etc... it takes a long time. Also, if it is not a cut kit then you don't want to wet mount the stripes as you cannot "work" the vinyl.

In the end it will work out to be about the same price. By a pre-cut kit for more money but the install price goes down. Simply buy stripes and not a kit and the install will go up.

www.TheLondonProject.ca
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #16
Turbo'd Hot Hatch

2013 Focus ST
N/A

STRob will become famous soon enoughSTRob will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TrueVF66 View Post
the Ford dealership in my town offered to paint some on my car for 650$ and they told me with out a doubt i wont have to pay more then that. Paint them its way better and about the same price
Wrong on various counts. Painting is almost always more expensive and more room for error.

Vinyl last longs longer, is a 1/4 of the cost, and is removable at any point you no longer want stripes.

What happens if your paint chips, or begins to oxidize down the road? New paint job. Vinyl you can just rip off and keep going.

I'm sorry but there are way too many downsides to painting. There's a reason the stripes on factory installed Mustangs are vinyl.

Edit: I'd also like to agree with Beerhunter as I've installed both types. I paid about $50 for my stripes on my last mustang. They were not pre cut and were a pain in the ass to install, especially on the hood. For the stripes on my new Mustang I paid $240 for pre-cut stripes. The price was well worth it in the end. Made install a lot easier, with the exception of one or two pieces that were a bit short.
ST2 Build Thread

Last edited by STRob; February 17th, 2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:09 AM   #17
Admanistrator

15.10@93.13

v606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to v606er

Originally Posted by AzSonicSnake View Post
you get what you pay for. and honestly, that price does not sound too far off. it takes a few hours, and well, time is money.

Dude sell those stripes. I paid less for installing tlok and gears.

Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
i liked the chilean miners before they went all mainstream. i liked them back when they were still underground.
MAD Stangs #8
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #18
Regular

2010 6er

rocerfi is on a distinguished road

one of my buddies payed $68 for glossy black stripes including installation and looks like if it came straight from the factory that way.... IMO stripes should only be for Cobras and or Super Snakes

Old February 17th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #19
Regular

2007 Mustang V6

MustangsFTW is on a distinguished road

Woah woah woah lol. I had my 12" stripes put on, and all my windows (minus the windshield) tinted for 300 dollars. And thats parts and labor. Find a good local guy who does detailing and get an estimate. You shouldn't be paying over 200-300 dollars just for some vinyl. Good luck and don't waste money

and I agree with the other guys, if the price is going to be that steep regardless.....

tuner/cai combo FTW
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #20
Regular

Vista Blue 2006 V6

Rated_R is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rated_R Send a message via Yahoo to Rated_R

I can say that is way to damn much! Im not into the stripes I need to actually take the side mustang ones off. I do have 2 buddies that have stripes.

1 of them got his painted in and paid $800.00 for them and has had no problems in the last 3 years.

the other buddy had the vinyl and after 1 1/2 had them fading. I wanna say he even had them put on for about 350.00 and had clear coat put on them Im not sure. Either way he ended up painting them on to.

I would look around before paying those prices. IMO painted looks alot better and if something happens well the is a warrenty that you get from body shops. Just something about vinyl. Thats my opinion though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: $550 To install Racing Stripes!??!?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Racing Stripes White96reborn 96 - 98 1 September 9th, 2010 12:30 AM
racing stripes gizmo222 99 - 04 16 July 28th, 2010 06:54 PM
Racing Stripes RJVetter831 Visual 15 August 10th, 2009 01:35 AM
racing stripes MxRacer253 2005 - 2010 5 May 14th, 2008 04:23 AM
Racing Stripes green machine Visual 23 September 24th, 2006 03:53 AM