Burning calipers!
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs > 2005 - 2010 V6

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Regular

2009 Mustang V6
87.32@13.54

Nigel xD is on a distinguished road

Burning calipers!

No idea how it might of happened.
Heres the story:

I was on a highway (1&9 for anyone who lives in NJ) and I hit a red light.
I knew from previous experiences that this light is loooonggg so I put it in park and sat there.

Once it finally turned green my car just felt beyond heavy. Confused, I made the turn and drove past a bridge and hit another red light.
This is when I noticed the smoke coming from behind me.

My friend saw it too and said it could be my exhaust smoke but I said it couldn't be because it would of showed up before!
I thought my transmission blew when I put it in drive because I kinda slapped it in hard.

So I pulled into a parking lot and got out of my car and saw the smoke pouring out of my rear driver side wheels and it smelled BAD.
Like someone can't cook BBQ and made the chicken super burnt.

The more I looked at it, the more it was coming out of my calipers.

So with that, I drove it an extra 2 miles home, smoking and what not.

When I got home, I attempted to cool it down (see video) and the water was sizzling off my calipers.

Any idea what happened??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Not A Regular Member

McQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant future

1. Don't spray cold water on hot metal, especially the rotors. You risk cracking them. Just a heads up in case it happens again.

2. Was there smoke coming from BOTH rear calipers?

3. Did you drive with the parking brake on?
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Regular

2009 Mustang V6
87.32@13.54

1) My bad! I just was so worried it was the first thing that came to mind when I saw smoke! Lesson learned!

2) No, just that one

3) nope! I checked for that too! It was down the entire time!

Old July 7th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Not A Regular Member

McQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant future

1. No biggy, most peoples' first reaction to something being hot is to put water on it. Sudden changes in temperature generally isn't good for things.

2. Your caliper seized and you'll need to replace it, or it just got hung up and simply recompressing it may get it working again (I've had to do this on all 4 of my calipers). I'm not sure if S197 rear calipers need to be compressed the same way as SN95/NE calipers, but if they are then the caliper piston needs to be twisted back into place. If someone can confirm this, you'll either need to pick up a "cube tool" that attaches to a ratchet or a whole caliper compression kit (I got mine for $20 at Harbor Freight). Then just put the rear up on jack stands, remove the wheel, remove the bolts holding the caliper in place, compress the piston, put the caliper back in place, bolt it on, put the wheel back on, put the car back on the ground, and take it for a drive
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #5
MM Fanatic

2000 V6, 89 lx

Green_6er is a jewel in the roughGreen_6er is a jewel in the roughGreen_6er is a jewel in the rough

your calipers locked up. mine did that too and i had to replace all 4 of my calipers

The ole Cobra build:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...bra-build.html
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Regular

2009 Mustang V6
87.32@13.54

Ah I see!

Damn that sucks -_-
So are you saying if one caliper seized, I'd have to replace all of them??

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Not A Regular Member

Technically it's best to do brakes in sets so it would be a good idea to replace both rear calipers if your own happens to be seized. Although since your car is only 2 years old, you can probably get away with doing just one. I only replaced one of my front calipers and haven't had any issues.
Old July 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Enthusiast

2011 5.000000H

Lone Star will become famous soon enough

Should also plan on replacing the rotor and brake pads too, if it got that hot and smoke was billowing off it at a stop light and then got home and washed it down with cold water you probably glazed the rotor at a minimum and could have possibly caused small cracks in the metal of the rotor that can cause a sever fracture at a later time.
2011 5.0 Performance White Premium, 3.73's 401a, Roush Axlebacks, Eibach Pro Springs,BMR Panhard bar, 20% tint, FR500 black chrome wheels, 255/45/18 & 295/45/18's, hood struts, Blowfish Racing bracket, JPC Linelock, Airlift Dragbags

Old July 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Regular

2009 Mustang V6
87.32@13.54

Got it, I might as well just upgrade to a big brake kit.
I've been meaning to anyway

Thanks for everything guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Burning calipers!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burning out? ufc94champ Drag 14 April 8th, 2011 09:59 AM
I'm burning oil HausGT 99 - 04 7 July 6th, 2010 07:19 PM
Burning oil 69fastback Classic Mustangs 6 February 15th, 2009 10:46 AM
Fuel Problems Burning Rich / Burning Lean Steves LX 5.0 Mustangs 5 March 21st, 2007 09:46 PM