Help finding front end popping noise
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs > 2005 - 2010 V6

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 7th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Regular

2005 Mustang V6

DrSunday is on a distinguished road

Help finding front end popping noise

Hello everyone. My car is making a popping noise from the front driver side when I drive over a pothole/bump. It sounds similar to the swaybar endlink noises, but I just changed them and noise is still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated because this sound drives me crazy

Also I have changed my struts before, but I didn't change the strut to spindle mounting kit (I read that these are one-time use). Could that be making the noise? The mechanic also told me that the wheel bearing is getting loose and that it should be changed later on, but I don't think that would make the noise. Thanks for any help
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Regular

2006 V6 Mustang

boostfreak is on a distinguished road

Mine was doing the same thing, tighten the main nuts on the struts at the top of the strut towers. They may not seem loose, but I tightened mine, and the noise quit
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #3
Enthusiast

07 Red 6

Coops6er will become famous soon enough

Make sure your lugnuts are tight
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #4
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast

2012 Mustang GT

UDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond reputeUDEAFBRO? has a reputation beyond repute

check the inside wheel well cover. i was missing a screw and it made a REALLY annoying popping sound because it would flex and pop when i went over bumps. and is that you saleh?

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee!
Dude if you had a vagina I would end you
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 mustang gt

cobra241 has a spectacular aura aboutcobra241 has a spectacular aura about

Sounds to me like the plate that your spring attachs to on the strut is going bad, that's happened twice on my fathers car, all after he lowered it
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #6
Regular

2005 Mustang V6

Originally Posted by cobra241 View Post
Sounds to me like the plate that your spring attachs to on the strut is going bad, that's happened twice on my fathers car, all after he lowered it
You mean the upper strut mount rubber seat? I don't think it would be that, the noise doesn't sound rubbery. Besides I already have MM c/c and they make some noise, so if it's the strut seat then the noises would be coming from around the same place. This noise seems more towards the bottom.

Coops6er that sounds like a good idea. I had every part of the front end checked at three places, so maybe we're over-complicating it and it is simple as that.

Moshe what's up, yeah it's me.
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 mustang gt

It's not so much the rubber, its the bearing inside, when we took them off his car, the rubber littetly feel off and little bearing balls fell out, his would pop when he steers it and over some bumps, there coil struts and the spring turns with the strut which is why it pops
Old June 12th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Enthusiast

07 Red 6

Coops6er will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DrSunday View Post
You mean the upper strut mount rubber seat? I don't think it would be that, the noise doesn't sound rubbery. Besides I already have MM c/c and they make some noise, so if it's the strut seat then the noises would be coming from around the same place. This noise seems more towards the bottom.

Coops6er that sounds like a good idea. I had every part of the front end checked at three places, so maybe we're over-complicating it and it is simple as that.

Moshe what's up, yeah it's me.

My rear lugnuts came loose after installing new wheels and made an awful popping noise while driving so it's just a thought
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Regular

2005 Mustang V6

Originally Posted by Coops6er View Post
My rear lugnuts came loose after installing new wheels and made an awful popping noise while driving so it's just a thought
Just checked them today, they're on tight. Also I checked my strut bearing not to long ago, when the noise was there.

I noticed today that the strut tower brace was crushing the washers, so I'm going to replace them soon and hope it gets rid of the noise. Thanks for all the help guys
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 mustang gt

Trying taking the strut plate off and see if it rolls free or binds. Yes it might be on tight but it could still be shot
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #11
Regular

2005 Mustang V6

Trying taking the strut plate off and see if it rolls free or binds. Yes it might be on tight but it could still be shot
If the strut mounts are shot, can't you usually tell just by turning the wheel. I'll try fixing the STB washers, and if the noise is still there, I'll try your suggestion when I go for my inspection & tuneup in July. Thanks for the help buddy!
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 mustang gt

Does it pop when it is turned? If so it prob is that cap I'm talking about
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #13
Regular

2005 Mustang V6

Does it pop when it is turned? If so it prob is that cap I'm talking about
No sound when turned, the bearing is fairly new as well, can't be more than a year old. I dont think its that causing the noise.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 mustang gt

The bearing is the cap
Attached Thumbnails
Help finding front end popping noise-uploadfromtaptalk1339708429708.jpg  
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #15
Regular

2005 Mustang V6

The bearing is the cap
Actually my bad man. I forgot that when I upgraded to the GT500 strut mounts, they didn't include the cap/bearing. I'm still pretty sure the noise though is from the STB washers. The noise is coming from the left side, where the washers have bent the most. The noise also started a few weeks after installing the brace. I haven't been able to change it because I've been busy with my moms bday and a friend's wedding, but I'll let you know if that was the cause of the problem, or the caps like you said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Help finding front end popping noise
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Popping Noise ?? Fanatic Ford Fan 2005 - 2010 19 February 17th, 2012 09:49 PM
Sick and tired of front clunking popping noise! :( Mr.Stang08 2005 - 2010 28 April 29th, 2011 04:03 PM
popping noise efulton95 94-95 16 September 25th, 2008 12:31 AM
Popping noise in the front lower area? lighterzen 94-95 3 October 18th, 2007 12:41 AM
Popping noise? BrightWhite98GT 96 - 98 4 July 22nd, 2007 11:46 PM