Center of rim fell off - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old January 1st, 2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Center of rim fell off

Wife owns a 2006 V6 mustang. We are on vacation out of state right now but right before we left we found the center of the driver rear tire had fallen off and was sitting by the car. Another seemed to be loose. We tried to see if we could just snap it back in for a quick fix but it did not want to. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this or had this problem before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old January 2nd, 2017, 11:26 AM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun47 View Post
Wife owns a 2006 V6 mustang. We are on vacation out of state right now but right before we left we found the center of the driver rear tire had fallen off and was sitting by the car. Another seemed to be loose. We tried to see if we could just snap it back in for a quick fix but it did not want to. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this or had this problem before?
The center of the tire, as in the tread fell off, or the hubcap/lug nut cover fell off?

If it's just the hubcap, pop it back on, a good slap should do it unless there's something wrong with the wheel. Make sure your lug nuts are properly tightened. I would imagine that someone may have been trying to steal your wheels, and got spooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
You guys are barely 20 years old yet. A fart that vibrates your nutsack is fap material for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
post #3 of 7 Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

hell I had people try to steal the spinners off my stock rims. how sad is that. if its just the center cap fell off slap it on. if its the tire check the lugs on all the car to make sure they are tight.

'00 v6: sold
'05 v6: tint and le mans strips on the way......

post #4 of 7 Old January 8th, 2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Sorry been busy lately. It's the center of the rim that I guess just popped off. I can slap it back but it is still really loose like it may fall off while driving. I don't see any issue with throwing a ring of glue around the inside ring of it and slapping it back on. However I was trying to avoid this. Like I said another rim center cap is loose also but luckily hasn't fallen off.
post #5 of 7 Old January 8th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Sorry been busy lately. It's the center of the rim that I guess just popped off. I can slap it back but it is still really loose like it may fall off while driving. I don't see any issue with throwing a ring of glue around the inside ring of it and slapping it back on. However I was trying to avoid this. Like I said another rim center cap is loose also but luckily hasn't fallen off.
They need to be removable so that you can put new tires on the rims (tires mounted) as well as have those tires balanced. The center section is used on the tire mount/balance machines, so glue is a no go.

There should be clips on the centercap depending on the type

If it is a basic centercap (non spinner) like this: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...XmvsBC9P3IFpmA

the back should look like:

https://wheelcentercap.com/wp-conten...79686776_2.jpg
or

a spinner like this: http://www.cjponyparts.com/media/cat...m/1/m1096b.jpg

the back should look like:
http://themustangsource.com/forums/a...lz0w-60_57.jpg

There is another style, that is much larger and covers the lug nuts as well:
http://www.suburbanwheelcover.com//v.../3649CC-2T.jpg

I can't find a picture of the back of those, but they also have tabs/clips, and you use a screwdriver or similar in that slot pictured to remove them.

If any of the tabs/clips on your centercaps are broken that would explain the loose fit. If someone was trying to steal the wheels/caps they may have broken them or done the removal improperly, they generally are only supposed to be removed with the wheels off, by applying pressure from the center of the cap from the rear of the rim.

They should click into place and have minimal to zero play. Check the clips/tabs, if any are broken replace the center cap, or leave it off, your choice, they are pretty much for looks with slight protection offered to the hub/axle assembly underneath

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L built for turbo + turbo capable of 550 hp on the way

DD: 2015 SHO PP, CAI, Axlebacks, Tune,blacked out/AMR wheels. 12.87 @107 1/4 mile (1.8 60')
post #6 of 7 Old January 11th, 2017, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

They appear to be the non-spinner ones. I'll have to try and take a look at the one that came off and the other loose one to see how their tabs look. Worse case I'll try and buy a new set to see if they go on better. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply and even post links for to help us out!!
post #7 of 7 Old January 11th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
They appear to be the non-spinner ones. I'll have to try and take a look at the one that came off and the other loose one to see how their tabs look. Worse case I'll try and buy a new set to see if they go on better. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to reply and even post links for to help us out!!
No problem, if you end up looking to buy new ones, used ones are usually a safe bet, as long as all tabs are pictured. There are also generic ones (no mustang image, no writing, etc.) that can be had for ~$20 for a set of 4.

Ebay is a pretty good source for centercaps, as is craigslist some times. Good luck, and keep us posted. Feel free to post pics of the centercap backs, as well as the rim section they pop into when you look at them.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L built for turbo + turbo capable of 550 hp on the way

DD: 2015 SHO PP, CAI, Axlebacks, Tune,blacked out/AMR wheels. 12.87 @107 1/4 mile (1.8 60')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page