Engine fail safe mode 2005
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:02 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

mbv1922 is on a distinguished road

Engine fail safe mode 2005

I have an 05 gt with 110k miles, all stock, no mods at all, no custom tune. In traffic today while sitting at a light the 'engine failsafe mode' came on the display and the engine shut off. You can start it, but it will immediately stall. I had to trailor it home. I pulled the following codes out of the computer; p2104,p2106,p2111, & p2135. Not absolutely sure what these codes are, my book lists 104,106,111, & 135 but I can't find what the '2' after the 'p' means. I washed the car about 2 hours earlier including flushing out under the hood. Nothing else out of the ordinary, no hard driving and the oil and cooling are fine. I hope it is something I can fix, I haaaaate!! the dealer hear and I need this car back on the road, my wife drives it every day to work and we don't have a backup right now.

if the '2' in the code means nothing then I believe the codes are as follows:
according to my scanner book:
p0104 - MAF or VAF A circuit intermittent
p0106 - MPA/BARO CKT range/perf
p0111 - IAT sensor 1 CKT range/perf
p0135 - 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1, sensor 1

Any direction here?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Enthusiast

2008 GT

Kemp"Da_Chit"08GT will become famous soon enoughKemp"Da_Chit"08GT will become famous soon enough

My guess is that you got water in there somehow and now you will probably have wait till it dries out. Im not positive though. Good luck.

Procharged D-1SC W/4.0 Pulley, Comp "Mutha Thumprs", Mac Longtubes, O/R prochamber, Steeda CMCV Deletes, 3.73's, FRPP Stingers
Remote tuned by Shawn Ellis at www.socaltuning.com 598HP 512TQ
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Enthusiast

Last Three of VIN 666
13.7@104mph

bamagt will become famous soon enough

OBD II Code Definitions - EQUUS PRODUCTS, INC.

Try this link. All your codes are throttle related. Maybe some water got in your throttle assembly.

~ 08 Alloy ~ JLT CAI ~ BBR Tunes ~ Comp Stage II NSRs ~ UDPs ~ MAC LT O/R Prochamber/Violators ~ Hurst STS ~ FRPP 4.10 Gear ~ BMR LCAs ~ CHE Relocation Brackets ~ BMR Adj Panhard ~ Prothane Motor Mounts ~ Coast Drive Shaft ~
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #4
BWAL Is My Hero

1986 Mustang GT Vert!
TBD

JakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant future

To me that suggests a bad MAF sensor. At least thats where I would start testing things. Also, maybe (a big maybe) a 02 sensor got taken out too.

*My YouTube channel*
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #5
More Is Better.

2006 Roush Stage 1 Blown
12.4@117

DiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to DiMora

Originally Posted by mbv1922 View Post
I have an 05 gt with 110k miles, all stock, no mods at all, no custom tune. In traffic today while sitting at a light the 'engine failsafe mode' came on the display and the engine shut off. You can start it, but it will immediately stall. I had to trailor it home. I pulled the following codes out of the computer; p2104,p2106,p2111, & p2135. Not absolutely sure what these codes are, my book lists 104,106,111, & 135 but I can't find what the '2' after the 'p' means. I washed the car about 2 hours earlier including flushing out under the hood. Nothing else out of the ordinary, no hard driving and the oil and cooling are fine. I hope it is something I can fix, I haaaaate!! the dealer hear and I need this car back on the road, my wife drives it every day to work and we don't have a backup right now.

if the '2' in the code means nothing then I believe the codes are as follows:
according to my scanner book:
p0104 - MAF or VAF A circuit intermittent
p0106 - MPA/BARO CKT range/perf
p0111 - IAT sensor 1 CKT range/perf
p0135 - 02 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1, sensor 1

Any direction here?

What did you do, use a pressure washer under the hood?

I am with the others...let it dry out and see what happens.

My Website
Roush TVS Supercharger / T56 Magnum XL 6 speed
Steeda suspension /Big Brakes / BMR K Member
Mac L/T's / Prochamber / Roush Extremes
"Daily Driver" RWHP: 492@9 PSI w/ LT's
"Dyno Queen": 512@12 PSI-stock exhaust
Mods in Garage
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #6
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2007 Mustang GT

07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute

I washed my engine last week and got a code for lean condition on one side. I cleared it and it never came back. I just chalked it up to me not getting all of the water blown out of the engine bay. Never thought about it again till I read this thread.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Regular

2006 GT

mynameismike65 is on a distinguished road

Dont use a hose and direct water to wash under there.....take some time and use a wet wash cloth and some armor all wipes for the plastic pieces.
JLT Intake + Brenspeed Tune
Hurst STS
Mac a/b
Mac o/r Prochamber
Tint
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

2008 Mustang GT
13.124@105.52

UrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really nice

The code definitions you listed are wrong. The P means powertrain. A 0 in the second digit would mean it is an SAE generic code, a 1 usually means manufacturer code. Not sure what a 2 means, probably another lefel of manufacturer code, which means it won't be defined in most universal guides. The 3rd digit is the system, and the last two are the fault. I can't access anything to identify those codes right now, if you haven't gotten an answer by the time I go to work monday I'll take a look and see what they point too.

That being said, it is possible you may have gotten too much water on the PCM (front passanger side of engine compartment), look and see if it is wet, and let the car dry out for a while with the hood open to see what happens.

And it wasn't overheating was it?
Hurst Crew Member #20

2008 GT - ARH, C&L, Hurst, BORLA, BMR, Bilstein, FRPP, Axle Exchange. Awesome.
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #9

Great responces here, thanks. There was no overheating, I did find a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the air cleaner box. I disconnected everything in the throttle area and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner. I let the car dry for 24 hours now. Just tried it again, same thing; you can start it but it will immediately shut off.
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #10

I found the codes:
p2104 - throttle actuator control system - forced idle
p2106 - throttle actuator control system - forced limited power
p2111 - throttle actuator control system - stuck open
p2135 - throttle/pedal position sensor/switch "a"/"b" voltage correlation
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #11

Just got it running but still in failsafe mode. Now it won't let me go over 4000 RPM. I took the connections off the throttle sensor, throttle actuator, and PCM and cleaned them with electric contact cleaner. I reconnected the PCM while the key was in the on position. I reconnected the other two and tried starting it. This time it started and was working fine. I let it sit and idle for a few minutes then started rev'ing it. I then let it idle a few minutes longer and then shut it off and restarted it. It worked normal for a few more minutes and then after rev'ing again went into this current state. All gages reading good and at least my wife will be able to get to work tomorrow.
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #12
Enthusiast

Last Three of VIN 666
13.7@104mph

bamagt will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you might need some professional help on this one. Best of luck.

~ 08 Alloy ~ JLT CAI ~ BBR Tunes ~ Comp Stage II NSRs ~ UDPs ~ MAC LT O/R Prochamber/Violators ~ Hurst STS ~ FRPP 4.10 Gear ~ BMR LCAs ~ CHE Relocation Brackets ~ BMR Adj Panhard ~ Prothane Motor Mounts ~ Coast Drive Shaft ~
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #13

Ok now, seems to be gone. Thanks to everyone who helped. Hope this info will help someone else in the future. I am not a fan of putting a computer in charge of my throttle like this. Anyone know of a mechanical conversion? Might be a good idea in the future.
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

2008 Mustang GT
13.124@105.52

UrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really nice

It's a better idea to have the computer in control. Ford didn't do it to save money. This way, the computer can prevent a lot of potential problems. Plus, there's plenty of sensor failures that can have an identical efect on a mechanical throttle car.

Looks like your fault was more than likely either in the throttle body or the pedal position sensor, but I really can't give any advice on that over the internet, I'd have to do a good bit of electrical testing to determine the cause. Only thing I can suggest just as an easy check is to see if the throttle body is very dirty or anything.

But it seems like it is working fine now? Hopefully it was just some water incursion and won't happen again, if it does I reccomend taking it to a professional for diagnosis.

One more thing though, never ever ever plug a PCM in with the key on.
Hurst Crew Member #20

Last edited by UrbanRedneck; April 26th, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #15
Semper Fi

2006 Killer

beefmobile is just really nicebeefmobile is just really nicebeefmobile is just really nicebeefmobile is just really nicebeefmobile is just really nice

ok,

i had this same problem when i put in my gt500 throttle body..... whenever i would start it, it would roar up to about 2k rpm and then automatically die. over and over and over, and sometimes it would idle really weird and low and then die.

however, my problem was that the little spring that auto-closes the butterflies was not loaded, just sitting there....but you said you havent modded it at all, but it's really weird that it has the exact same symptoms.....

USMC CREW
OEF Vet
Originally Posted by 07stanggt View Post
You would think they used camm'd LS1's to launch space shuttles.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bill of Rights
(Must be 18, void where prohibited, not available in all states, restrictions apply)

Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

2008 Mustang GT
13.124@105.52

I worked on an equinox today that had 2 codes for APP/TP faults and 2 codes for transmission faults, and was stuck in a failsafe mode where it wouldn't accelerate. Turned out to be due to a clogged sunroof drain, that allowed water to run down the car's a-pillar into the kick panel, soaking a connector on the BCM harness. Dried it out, fixed the clogged drain, and problem solved. I found that interestingly similiar to your issue.
Hurst Crew Member #20

Old April 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #17
MM Fanatic

KB'd GT

Trick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to allTrick Tuners is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Towelly View Post
To me that suggests a bad MAF sensor. At least thats where I would start testing things. Also, maybe (a big maybe) a 02 sensor got taken out too.
+1. A intermittent maf signal could cause those other codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/120877-engine-fail-safe-mode-2005-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
What is ENGINE FAIL SAFE MODE FOR FORD F150? This thread Refback April 27th, 2013 10:06 AM

Threads Similar to: Engine fail safe mode 2005
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fail Safe Question. Please look over. AdvocateOfGod 2005 - 2010 9 September 26th, 2008 10:42 PM
safe to spray engine with water? ocsailor86 96 - 98 5 June 23rd, 2007 04:37 PM
fail safe problem! msolaas1 2005 - 2010 7 May 24th, 2007 08:49 PM
safe mode codes p0446/ p2106 need help ozan169 2005 - 2010 6 March 29th, 2007 05:51 AM
engine question about 2005 GT steve24 2005 - 2010 12 December 24th, 2006 11:01 PM