Modded Mustang Forums banner

Gas Mileage with 3.73s... 4.10s??

3K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  fomocoro 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has swapped their stock gears for the 3.73s or 4.10s. I wanted to know what the difference in gas mileage was from stock. Also wanted to know what rpms I'd be taching at interstate speed...

Thanks!

#3 ·
#4 ·
I have had my mustang geared-up to 4.10 It's a 5-speed and I'm running about 2800-3000 @ 80mph. My gas mileage stayed about the same... CRAPPY. But I didn't buy it for mileage. :) Yea.... it's fast!

#11 ·
1LOUDGT said:
Well if you bought a gt for the gas mileage your a comlpete ****ing idiot.
Perhaps, but if you're an average Joe like me who can't afford two cars and has a commute, it might be important. All I can afford is to put mine up for the winter and spring for a shitty winter beater,other than that, in the summer, the Stang has to be fairly realistic mileage wise.I don't go around thinking it should be getting fantastic fuel economy, but since I commute quite a ways, I need at least 25 mpg out of a car to be able to use it every week.
If I hit the jackpot, I'll quit my job, ram a blown aluminum stroker in it, and say **** the fuel mileage. lol Until then, it does hold some importance to some people.

Rick

#12 ·
Gears: Are great for the track, but street stuff. Not worth it. Remember, gears don’t give you more horsepower..nor more torque. They simply spread the same power drop thru a different spectrum of gears. 1, 2, 3 etc.. Your rpm's will change, but the power remains a constant.

#13 ·
yes.. But seriously 3.73's are the best gear 4.10's are to damn torquey.. 1st gear is useless and no way are you hookin up at all with stock tires.. 3.73's are the way to go IMO

plus you can without a problem at all do highway driving, at a low rpm.. doin 65mph in 4th gear.. someone rolls next to you slam it down to third and punch it and your gone..

#15 ·
All depends what you're into I guess. For the average guy who uses his car on the street, 3:55's with some decent power are more than enough, maybe 3:73's if you start getting into serious power, and 4:10's if your car sees mainly track time.If you don't really drag your car, you'll be sorry when you take your car on a road trip, unless you can afford to spring for a nice 6-speed tranny to compensate for the steep gear.

Rick

#16 ·
Upping your gears is like carrying a gun. You never want to use it but you know you have it just in case. If you do use it you don’t want to realize afterward that you should have bought a 45 cal instead of the 38 special. 3.73 for stick, 4.10 for automatic. If you’re a conservative driver don’t get gears at all.

MPH RPM
30- 1250
35- 1450
40- 1600
45- 1800
50- 1900
55- 2100
60- 2300
65- 2500
70- 2700
75- 2800
80- 2900

#17 ·
Wow! You guys rock. I guess you could say I'm starting to care more about performance and less about mileage... My first car was a '74 Mercury Comet with a stock 302. Then I spent 12 years owning a Jeep Wrangler, but when I saw the new 2005s I lusted in my heart. So I've had my 2005 for almost a year now and my infatuation with its stock performance has begun to fade. I want MORE so I'm starting to figure out how to begin the process. Like most average Joes, I'm doing things one mod at the time due to the fact that last time I looked, money was NOT falling out of my butt.

My idea is to upgrade to 3.73s, then exhaust, then CAI and tuning...

Any thoughts... I am still fairly new to the modification game.

Jeff

#21 ·
Gearing

Hey, Ive got 4.10s in my 05 5 spd with aftermarket Cobra Chromes, and 275 nitto 450s in the rear, I also have about 350-360 flywheel hp...(havent hit the dyno yet). First gear spins like a b**ch, but hooks up right before the shift to 2nd. If I am hammering it, 1st and 2nd barely hook up, but enough that on a stock gt, i am 1 length ahead (while spinning).
Like Fastback said, going Highway speeds, dropping to 3rd, im gone...and love it :)
I have stock suspension by the way. I plan on fixing this with a CHE rear brace, upper and lower adjustables, and tokico shocks...Im also putting some 315s or 325s out back....but idk if its my mods, or gears, but the lil comp says i get 33.5 mpg at 60 mph on the highway, and 29-30 at 68-70...and the mileage kinda shows it...hope this helps ya some...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.