Modded Mustang Forums banner

Gas Mileage

1K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  JKennedy 
#1 ·
Okay, so I am curious. Is the mileage in the S197 GT really as bad as the sticker says? It says like 16 and 25 for city and highway.

I'm just curious so that I know what I'm getting into when I purchase. I am trying to decide between a Fox body and a newer S197. So, any information you guys/gals can provide on this issue would be great. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I think of them.

#2 ·
ya it's really that bad lol, and worse if you start modding.

and also i dont think the fox body's are that great either....

#3 ·
I get about 23mpg on the highway with the mods in my sig. In the city I get about 14-15mpg. Its no Prius thats for sure but I didn't buy the car for the gas milage.

#4 ·
Oh, gas mileage won't be the decision maker for sure. I just wanted to know what I was getting into. The wife and I make more than enough to support my vehicular lusts. But, that being said doesn't mean that I am in the habit of wasting simply to waste. So, I just wanted to know what I was getting into. I have seen on here guys getting 17 to 18 in town and then the mid to upper 20s on the interstate.......assuming they are only 5 over the limit. Does that seem accurate?

#9 ·
I have seen on here guys getting 17 to 18 in town and then the mid to upper 20s on the interstate
Thats about right. Again it has a lot to do with what mods you have.

#11 ·
I reset mine after every tank. Since my gear change it has been just below 17 mpg per tank. It's been consistant everytime. I can nurse it to about 26 mpg on the freeway at 70-75, but I don't nurse it very often. My car sees WOT many times in a day. I lost about a mile and a half in mileage after the gear swap, but that could be because I get on it a little more with these gears. You know it is all about the way you drive though.

#13 ·
with 3.55 and a k&n filter and 5 speed i averaged almost 30MPG comming home from minneapolis traveling at 70-80MPH.
but now i get about 21MPG and am pushing 470HP to the wheels.
btw i filled up in Minneapolis and made it to Iowa City on 1 tank.

#17 ·
If buying 93 octane for your mustang getting around 20ish w/ 'festive' driving, runs too close for you... may reconcider b/c w/ modding, etc... make sure all is good for you financially before you get yourself in a bind.

#18 ·
Wow, on my average gas it hardly never drops 23 mpg I really dont know how much that calculates for street and highways. But I put gas once a week and that average reading includes my weekly friday night at the track with about 12 runs. I guess my cars and outlier.

#20 ·
i still have the stock 3.31 gears, but i got 430 to the tires, i usually run about 13-14 in town and around 25 on the hwy running 70-80

#21 ·
Okay, well what this tells me is that since the majority of my driving is in town I will get probably 18 or less. In fact, my weekly commute to and from work is less than 13 miles. So, I'd be burning about a gallon a day. That's not too bad I don't think.

For me its not about not being able to afford the car. I'm an accountant and by nature I am overly careful with how my wife and I spend our money. So, I'm making sure I accurately understand the issues (fuel, insurance, maint.) before I purchase a newer car. I saw on here that someone listed that they were running 93 octane gasoline....if I only plan on driving the car and keeping my mods N/A (street action not track) would I need 93 Octane fuel? I know that if I am boosted I would want it to slow the explosion speed and have a better burning fuel, but for N/A it doesn't seem necessary. But, I'm not sure.

I bet my v6 gets less than 20 in town. Because I only get about 240ish to the tank in town right now. So, that is:

240 / 14 (gallons) = 17 and change.

I say only 14 because I refuel with the fuel light comes on. So, I still have 2 gallons left at that point. What do you guys think?

#22 ·
Granted I drive my v6 like I stole the thing. Not all the time, but it takes a lot more romping on the gas to feel a live in that car. Meaning, quick burst of acceleration, rpm flair, and exhaust tone. I suspect that I would actually drive more restrained with the GT when in town because it would be much easier to get a nice rich exhaust one without laying on the gas. That is what I really want.

Also, not driving like I stole my car would be a plus too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.