Alternator or Battery Problem - 2005 Mustang GT
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (3) Thread Tools
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:29 PM   3 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Look Ma! My First Post!

cdalton08 is on a distinguished road

Alternator or Battery Problem - 2005 Mustang GT

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this type of question so sorry in advance!

2005 Mustang GT, 100% stock

Okay so last weekend my engine light came on and as I was driving to Pepboys by engine died. They said it was the alternator and that the battery was fine and just needed to be charged while I was driving. So Basically all they did was replace the alternator. About 8 hours later as I am heading out the battery light turns on and in the LED display it says "Check charging system". The battery meter looks about right (About 60% full like usual). My drive is about 30 minutes, and within that 30 minutes the battery light and LED warning turn on and off every 5 minutes. So I take it to Pepboys they test the battery and said it's fine and that I just need to drive it to charge the battery. For the next few days I drive it about 200 miles over a 4-5 hour span. The Battery light and "Check Charging System" warning now turns on about 1 minute after I turn on the car and stays on until I turn it off. The battery meter looks fine as well. I also read somewhere that it could be the wrong alternator that was put in and the on-board computer isn't recognizing it, could that be the problem? Like I said I went to Pepboys and I would assume a big company like that knows what they are doing. The car runs perfectly fine except for those warnings but I am afraid it will die on me again. Any reason why this is happening?

Thanks in advance guys!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

2008 Mustang GT Premium
13.30@101.67

Mr.Stang08 will become famous soon enoughMr.Stang08 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Mr.Stang08

Hi Cdalton I'm just running thru the same exact problem. These stangs tend to have this problem with the alternator. Ford installed a weak one on these. I ordered my alternator thru www.paperformance.com. They have a higher performance alternator that is better than the stock one and more economical with lifetime warranty. I am actualy waiting on a 4 gage wire to install everything from american muscle. Good luck with you situation. I'll let you know how mine goes. I'm installing mine on Dec 1st. I will provbably need to get a new battery as well to keep everything fresh and with a good start. Will keep you posted. Oh, and welcome to the forum!!! and yes you posted on the wrong section even thou it's general tech. You should go to the 05 section.
Paxton/Vortech Crew Founder #1
Kooks LT's with Catted X-pipe, Roush Stingers, Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O., Hurst STS, BMR Stage I Suspension Kit, FRPP Dampers, Tuned by VMP.
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #3
MM Fanatic

SVTfocus, F250

mxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nice

sounds like a loose connection check all the wiring on the alt
Old November 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

2007 G9 Eye Catcher

1rnkpny has a spectacular aura about1rnkpny has a spectacular aura about1rnkpny has a spectacular aura about

Normally it is the regulator that controls the operation of the Battery light. Do you have any corrosion/rust around the battery terminals or the battery ground on the body?
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Regular

2006 Mustang GT

mustangmallory will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to mustangmallory

I know this is probably off in left field, but I've been dealing with similiar issues here with other Mustang owners. Fortunately I saved a lot of money as other people dealt with it before I had to. If you have an aftermarket radio in the car, but not amps or anything else there is a wiring issue. The factory amp uses a 5volt trigger to turn on. A lot of people in this situation notice the annoying amp pop when you first start the car. The problem is that most harness adapters wire the amps to be on all the time, which leads to dead batteries and what a lot of people would think were bad alternators. I only saw in two cases that the car actually picked up an error could related to this problem. It's really a simple fix of rewiring the ground and power lines of the amps, while adding in a very cheap resistor inline with the power wire. Eliminates the charging issue and amp pop problem. Like I said, I'm probably off target here, but something to consider or might help someone else.

All Black Dash Member #1
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

2007 G9 Eye Catcher

1rnkpny has a spectacular aura about1rnkpny has a spectacular aura about1rnkpny has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mustangmallory View Post
The problem is that most harness adapters wire the amps to be on all the time, which leads to dead batteries and what a lot of people would think were bad alternators.
An alternator wouldn't test bad because an amp is turned on. I have seen an alternator test low beacause of a bad battery. Modern AVR testers use the high beams and heater fans as loads to check the alternators capabilities. If people replace alternators because they THINK they're bad, then I guess their perogative. But hey, stranger things have happened with electrical issues.
Old May 4th, 2014, 04:19 AM   #7
Look Ma! My First Post!

yuppiestatic69 is on a distinguished road

HELP: I noted the comment about popping sound amps, and about a year ago, had Best Buy Mobile rewire, as they said, to somewhere in the dashboard. They didn't have the amps 'hot' or on all the time, as far as I know. I don't think they used any resistor or relay. What I do know is the car began having weird electrical behavior (I actually had a stall and had to take off a battery protector shut off device). I think the check charging system light came on starting a few days later. I have had batteries and charge system checked by 3 shops, they all say there's nothing wrong they can find! I called Best Buy corporate to complain about the installer (head unit), and he put in a fuse link, to unhook the radio. I tried that, but the charging warning came on the next day!
It's frustrating, b/c I'll have to sell the car eventually. Anyone got any advice I can give to another Best Buy shop nearby, b/c I need to get something done!
btw, miine is GT convertible, only mod is the Pioneer 9400 head unit, and sequential tail lights.
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #8

sircrashalot is on a distinguished road

are you using a pulley or a clutch pulley?
Old May 4th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #9
L&L

L&L is on a distinguished road

I recently went through the same thing. So I found that the alternator in these cars work intermittenty. I had mine checked and everything was fine, however I knew it was not, because 5 minutes earlier all different lights were going crazy and gauges shut down. As long as all your connections are good, you know it should be the alternator, however if your car is dying that means your battery is dead too. Never just put a new alternator on a car with a dead battery , this will lead to over-straining the alt and killing it prematurely. Ensure all connections are correct and wiring is in good health. Then fully charge battery and/ or replace it if it is old and won't hold a charge. Then replace the alternator and you should be good.
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #10
onehotpny

2005 Ford Mustang Gt

onehotpny is on a distinguished road

one thing to keep in mind is our s197's active alarm stays on all the time while the car is parked/ sitting. This causes a drain on the battery when car is not being used/driven.If it's a daily driver not so bad ,since the alt charges battery while going down the road, But if your sits in a garage weeks at a time, the problem will be there, i keep a float charge on my battery when car is in the garage. just something to think about.
Old May 5th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #11
loser

09 Mustang GT
N/T

wrxnfx is on a distinguished road

i feel like pepboys was your first mistake. most pepboys i have ever been to seem to only employ high school ricer type kids that dont actually know anything. it doesnt take much to enter things in a computer and have it give a part number for them to grab off a shelf. i feel like it wasnt your alt to begin with since it was your check engine light that came on before it died.
Old May 5th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Enthusiast

2005 Mustang GT Vert

Beerhunter will become famous soon enoughBeerhunter will become famous soon enough

How did they test the alternator. A simple voltage meter will not reveal the problem. It needs to be tested on an oscilloscope. There is a TSB out there somewhere on this

www.TheLondonProject.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/144620-alternator-battery-problem-2005-mustang-gt.html
Posted By For Type Date
What is 2005 MUSTANG GT ALTERNATOR PROBLEM? This thread Refback December 20th, 2013 07:29 PM
What Is 2005 Mustang Gt Alternator Problem at Askives This thread Refback July 15th, 2013 02:18 PM
What is 2005 MUSTANG GT ALTERNATOR PROBLEM? This thread Refback March 21st, 2013 11:37 PM

Threads Similar to: Alternator or Battery Problem - 2005 Mustang GT
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else have an alternator problem on their 06 GT? 06Black5spdGT 2005 - 2010 15 July 5th, 2009 01:40 PM
pre 2005 mustang and 2005+ exhaust notes 06GTMustang89 2005 - 2010 27 December 16th, 2008 10:29 PM
new alternator problem 01dutchGT Classic Mustangs 5 November 27th, 2008 08:37 PM
5.4L Swap - Alternator Problem Flapjack 2005 - 2010 14 May 6th, 2008 12:15 AM
Arched Battery, Alternator Smoked, what could be damaged? SteviGX 99 - 04 4 February 17th, 2008 04:40 AM