oil catch can vs oil separator
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 25th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Enthusiast

2006 Mustang GT
good enough

StutteringStang06 will become famous soon enough

oil catch can vs oil separator

so i just got O/R x pipe and i blowing out blue smoke so i thought i'd get me a catch can but then i was re-searching and found an oil separator for a little cheaper. Whats the difference between the two. And also dose it matter what side of the engine it goes on?

Mishimoto Carbon Fiber Oil Catch Can at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
05-10 Mustang GT & GT500 Oil Separator Steeda

308 RWHP and 322RWT with some stuff
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2007 Mustang GT

07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute

They are two different names for the same thing. Basically it's just some sort of baffle and a container to catcth the sludge.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Old March 25th, 2010, 03:17 AM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2008 Mustang GT
13.124@105.52

UrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really niceUrbanRedneck is just really nice

It has to go on the drivers side. You would hardly get any oil out of the passanger side PCV tube because all it does is let fresh air into the crankcase. The driverside is the one that carries crankcase vapor into the intake, and would be the one with the oil buildup.
Hurst Crew Member #20

2008 GT - ARH, C&L, Hurst, BORLA, BMR, Bilstein, FRPP, Axle Exchange. Awesome.
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

dysan has a spectacular aura aboutdysan has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by UrbanRedneck View Post
It has to go on the drivers side. You would hardly get any oil out of the passanger side PCV tube because all it does is let fresh air into the crankcase. The driverside is the one that carries crankcase vapor into the intake, and would be the one with the oil buildup.
Just to clarify this a bit, if you have a sealed PCV system the vapor will come out your driver's side. If you breath your motor, then the vapors will actually come out the passenger side as I found out after installing a breather catch can on my driver's side and I put the oil cap breather on the passenger side and it is the one that's releasing the vapors. I don't know if that will change back if I remove the internal PCV valve in the driver's side valve cover though.
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #5
More Is Better.

2006 Roush Stage 1 Blown
12.4@117

DiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to DiMora

Originally Posted by UrbanRedneck View Post
+1 What he said.

Read and become wise, grasshopper:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...cv-filter.html

My Website
Roush TVS Supercharger / T56 Magnum XL 6 speed
Steeda suspension /Big Brakes / BMR K Member
Mac L/T's / Prochamber / Roush Extremes
"Daily Driver" RWHP: 492@9 PSI w/ LT's
"Dyno Queen": 512@12 PSI-stock exhaust
Mods in Garage
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #6
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2007 Mustang GT

07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dysan View Post
Just to clarify this a bit, if you have a sealed PCV system the vapor will come out your driver's side. If you breath your motor, then the vapors will actually come out the passenger side as I found out after installing a breather catch can on my driver's side and I put the oil cap breather on the passenger side and it is the one that's releasing the vapors. I don't know if that will change back if I remove the internal PCV valve in the driver's side valve cover though.
If you remove the actual PCV valve you should get equal flow out of each side.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Old March 25th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

That's what I want to shoot for. I just need to grow a pair and take off my valve cover and remove it. :-)
300 stroker, 11:1, 7L2E iron block, 3.73's, MT ET Street Pro's. UPR solid LCA's, JPC race UCA. Kooks 1 3/4" LT's with 3" O/R H. 9.988 @ 136.55mph, E-Force with 3" pulley running E85. Tuned by Manuel from TUDYNO.
Old March 25th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Enthusiast

2006 Mustang GT
good enough

StutteringStang06 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DiMora View Post
+1 What he said.

Read and become wise, grasshopper:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...cv-filter.html
I did and thank you, I have learned now the ways of the catch can and am ready to study under ur knowledge master.......... Reps

308 RWHP and 322RWT with some stuff
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Regular

05 Roush GT

Chevykiller will become famous soon enoughChevykiller will become famous soon enough

I prefer to use the best of both.

I use a catch can hooked to both sides with a breather on top of the can.

Old March 25th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

2007 GT 2000 GT

onederful100 has a spectacular aura aboutonederful100 has a spectacular aura aboutonederful100 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Chevykiller View Post
I prefer to use the best of both.

I use a catch can hooked to both sides with a breather on top of the can.
^^^thats the balls best setup. vent to the atmosphere and catch the oil neatly.

i've had the steeda separator, some oil still went thru.
i've also had the moroso catch can, that worked well. just didnt like the way it looked.
now i run the triple breathers on both sides. small amount of blow by every few weeks. it helps to clean the breathers often.
whipple crew member
2-Stang Crew
My Car
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #11
Regular

AutoXRacer is on a distinguished road

I prefer the breather catch can method myself and cap off the intake completely.
With catch cans, you still get blow-by into your intake...specifically if you are FI.

Tuned by Lito: 680HP/605TQ (13.5 PSI) | 92 octane

Lito: http://www.tudyno.com/
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #12
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

Did you take out the built in PCV valve from the driver's side valve cover? I'm debating on whether or not that's necessary to do or not.
300 stroker, 11:1, 7L2E iron block, 3.73's, MT ET Street Pro's. UPR solid LCA's, JPC race UCA. Kooks 1 3/4" LT's with 3" O/R H. 9.988 @ 136.55mph, E-Force with 3" pulley running E85. Tuned by Manuel from TUDYNO.
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #13
Regular

Did you take out the built in PCV valve from the driver's side valve cover? I'm debating on whether or not that's necessary to do or not.
I didn't... With my setup, I don't get oil... I get this (mostly on the passenger side):

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

2008 Mustang GT

IronStomach has a spectacular aura aboutIronStomach has a spectacular aura aboutIronStomach has a spectacular aura about

Alright, that is one helluva setup, AutoXRacer, thanks for posting the pics. Next weekend's project right there.

Still have to order the dang oil filler breather. Did you get yours from Central Florida Motorsports?

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #15
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

Yeah...that condensation is the one thing that I don't like having the breather set-up, besides the wonderful oil vapor smell :-).
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #16
Regular

Originally Posted by EfylSetaf View Post
Alright, that is one helluva setup, AutoXRacer, thanks for posting the pics. Next weekend's project right there.

Still have to order the dang oil filler breather. Did you get yours from Central Florida Motorsports?
Yes, its the only place I know of that sells it...

Yeah...that condensation is the one thing that I don't like having the breather set-up, besides the wonderful oil vapor smell :-).
That was my big fear too... I can smell it very lightly; not bad at all, although I haven't used my A/C or heater yet...

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #17
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

You can get the oil cap breather right from Metco, that's where i got mine from.

Edit: Here's the link to the product... http://www.metcomotorsports.com/prod...BR0005&cat=102

Last edited by dysan; March 26th, 2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: added link
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

2008 Mustang GT

IronStomach has a spectacular aura aboutIronStomach has a spectacular aura aboutIronStomach has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Dysan, works out to the same as CFM, was hoping I could get Carquest to order it and be able to skip the shipping. I never realized I was such a cheap bastard, ah well.

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #19
Regular

Are they exactly the same...?

My CFM version is baffled so that no oil is sprayed out of (or onto) the filter...

Here is their description:
CFM Performance now makes it easy to vent the crankcase on your 2005-08 Mustang GT with our new billet valve cover baffled breather kit. This kit is a direct replacement for your factory oil fill cap and allows unwanted crankcase pressure to exit. The proprietary internal baffle substantially reduces oil particle travel without affecting air flow. The filter element is washable and has a chrome top for great looks. The pre-oiled cotton fiber traps dirt particles without restricting air flow. Although this kit was designed for use in racing applications, it works and looks great on any engine compartment.
The Metco one also seems to be taller.

Description:
This valve cover breather assembly replaces the original oil fill tube found on the factory passenger side valve cover. The base is CNC-machined from billet aluminum for precise fit, and the included silicone gasket is specially designed to prevent oil seepage at the base of the breather. The filter base is microfinished for surface protection and good looks, and is easily hand-polished to a mirror-like appearance. The removable filter element is a high-quality reusable unit from S & B Filters, and it is securely retained in the filter base by a specially machined retention groove at the top of the base.

The purpose of this valve cover breather is to vent unwanted accumulation of pressure in the crankcase, and to provide maximum circulation of ambient air in the crankcase to reduce oil temperatures. The installation of this breather will contribute to increased engine oil life and reduce the possibility of failed engine seals resulting from excessive crankcase pressure. This breather will reduce the effectiveness of the vehicle's PCV system, and it is not emissions-legal.

Note 1: Due to inadequate hood clearance, this Metco Motorsports Valve Cover Breather cannot be used on a 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra or the 2007 & newer Shelby GT500. Please see the Metco Motorsports MBR0013, listed elsewhere in this section.

Note 2: This breather stand is also available with a male #10AN connection at the top instead of the provision for the breather element. This configuration is designed for use in a custom crankcase evacuation system or for use with a vacuum pump. Please see Metco Motorsports PN MBR0004-10AN, listed elsewhere in this section.

Old March 26th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #20
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

They are different. I didn't know the CFM one was baffled or I would have gotten that one. Mine does not have a baffle so the filter does get oiled up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: oil catch can vs oil separator
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil separator pics.... 00silvergt 99 - 04 18 March 9th, 2008 07:15 PM
oil separator needed?? --94 mustang gt TIM350 94-95 0 January 20th, 2008 11:17 PM
Oil/Water Separator? 2006greyGT 2005 - 2010 11 January 9th, 2008 07:04 PM
oil separator angermgt 5.0 Mustangs 1 March 24th, 2007 01:58 AM
Oil Separator terribleonexx88 5.0 Mustangs 21 November 2nd, 2006 10:28 PM