Modded Mustang Forums banner

Gear Ratio

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  psycho bob 
#1 ·
Ok I am not even a tiny bit technical so bear with me.
I have a 2005 5 speed GT, what would the gear ratio be, what does it mean and if I wanted to change it what would it do and how much would it cost?
Thanks guys.

Mikey :wave

#3 ·
I have a 05 Manual and my stock gearing is 3:55. I have been contemplating on going to 4:10's. I checked with one of my local Speed shops on what it would cost to do the gears, they said $650. I think that is a little high since the gears themselves are only around $200-250.

#4 ·
Exseque said:
Ok I am not even a tiny bit technical so bear with me.
I have a 2005 5 speed GT, what would the gear ratio be, what does it mean and if I wanted to change it what would it do and how much would it cost?
Thanks guys.

Mikey :wave
changing gears in the rear end will get you off the line faster. if you have plans of putting on a supercharger i would suggest 3.73's if you plan on keeping it naturally aspirated then go with 4.10's. changing the gears will cost you a little on you top speed. few people worry about top speed though unless you are building your car for top speed runs.

#5 ·
Psycho is on. Gears just spread the power to a ratio that favors the short distance racer. You dont get more HP...but you do get it on a different gear. Fast off the line, great. Long haul trips...crap for gas because the engine is at a higher RPM for the speed. I left mine stock on my 07 manual for I will get a supercharger in the near future. Therefore, I dont need to tweak the gear ratio for my HP and Tq will make up for it

#7 ·
Gears multiply torque ay the rear whells.Thats what it does for you.I have 3:90s and love them!At 80mph Im at 2900-3000 rpms.In 5th gear of course.

#8 ·
Quick question... I'm about to order 4.10s (and an install kit) for my 05 GT 5 speed. Do I HAVE to buy a tuner right now, or can I take it somewhere and have it tuned (to correct the speedo and other little tweaks)?

#11 ·
yes they would still get you off quicker. don't know if either is better or not just cuz it is an auto. i do know some people think one is better than the other for the auto, but i would still start with deciding if you are going to blow it or keep it n/a.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.