Problems with chrome or black chrome wheels??
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:28 AM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Admanistrator

15.10@93.13

v606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to v606er
Exclamation

Problems with chrome or black chrome wheels??

I was about to buy some 20" black chrome Fr500's with Nitto Invo tires from someone, but something came up, and now I have to put it off.

But this made me think more about it, and after some researching, I have found some confusion about the longevity of the finish on chrome wheels.

It seems that the chrome on both normal and black chrome wheels tends to chip, pit or flake off.

Have yall experienced this? Pictures?

How long does it take for this to happen?

What can be done about it?

Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
i liked the chilean miners before they went all mainstream. i liked them back when they were still underground.
MAD Stangs #8
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #2
booooost'd

2014 5.0 Brembo M6
1/4 Mile? Cones Baby!

Jucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to behold

Chrome will start to peel. How long it last depends on the quality. A good wheel, probably 6-7 years. A cheap wheel could start as early as a year. Black chrome doesn't peel... It's not really chrome, just a special paint and clear coat. Down side to BC is the finish will start to dull over time. Also, if you get nicks and scratches or curb rash your wheel will look like a lot worse than a regular wheel would. I would never buy chrome, BC you just have to be really careful with.

1988 LX Hatch 5.0 - SOLD!
2007 Vortech GT - SOLD!
2009 Procharged GT - SOLD!
2014 Oxford White 5.0 Brembo M6
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #3
Enthusiast

2007 Mustang Gt

Goldcomet is on a distinguished road

Juco, how about polished aluminum? I've had them over a year and they still look good, but are there any weakness in them?
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

2007 GT 2000 GT

onederful100 has a spectacular aura aboutonederful100 has a spectacular aura aboutonederful100 has a spectacular aura about

i've heard a lot of bad stories about the black chrome.
and i'm not too enthused about the chrome as well.
chrome is expensive to repair
whipple crew member
2-Stang Crew
My Car
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #5
May 08 ROTM

1953 F100

Emay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud of

Depending on region redipping a set of 4 (20")chromes will run from 500-1000.

The only reason chrome degrades over time is becuase of poor maintenance. It is by far the easiest surface to maintain and as long as you upkeep it (Weekly washes, monthly polish or coat of wax, remove them for winters) then they will last long beyond the length most people own their cars.

Keep this in mind, chromes is as easy to clean as glass cleaner and microfiber towel.

Even lesser quality chrome can last long periods of time as long as the elements aren't too harsh. Living by the sea, or in a climate where roads are white all winter long from overkill salt dispersion, will make the upkeep more and require anal attentive wheel care.

When I was chroming motorcycle components I sent every single wheel job to California and the money paid in shipping was worth the end result.

All that said, I'm a color wheel kinda guy these days. Polished or chrome lip with an anodized or powdered main section give me wood.

uniqueimagerybyemay
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

05filly is on a distinguished road

I have chrome...bad news for someone who's even a little bit lazy and lives in my area. I don't even want to put up pics, it's embarrassing. Thinking of going black on black (not black chrome though)..geesh this reminds me how bad I need to wash my car....
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Admanistrator

15.10@93.13

v606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud ofv606er has much to be proud of

Well if I get the black chrome wheels, they may stay on all year round because I may sell the stockers. But I have a Jeep too, so winter driving will probably be mostly in that.

But as you said emay, if I literally clean them every week with Windex or wheel cleaner & a good rag, they will keep for many years?

This is too much of an investment to have it look like crap in 6 months.

i liked the chilean miners before they went all mainstream. i liked them back when they were still underground.
MAD Stangs #8
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

2007 GT 2000 GT

onederful100 has a spectacular aura aboutonederful100 has a spectacular aura aboutonederful100 has a spectacular aura about

there was another thread about bad black chrome wheels but i think it got deleted

Faulty Black Chrome Wheels--Others Black Chrome Wheels are holding up much better - MustangForums.com
whipple crew member
2-Stang Crew
My Car
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #9
May 08 ROTM

1953 F100

Emay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud ofEmay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by v606er View Post
But as you said emay, if I literally clean them every week with Windex or wheel cleaner & a good rag, they will keep for many years?

This is too much of an investment to have it look like crap in 6 months.
It's the smartest thing you can do to help them last.

Another method to help if you do have to drive in winter/salty conditions, coat the wheels with a thin layer of wd40. It repels everything. Then wash them clean with dish soap (dawn as it is a known degreaser) at one week intervals. This will aid in stopping pitting and enhanced tarnishing. I've cared for several large chrome wheel sets on my SUV's in that manner when I had no stock wheels for winters here.

uniqueimagerybyemay
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #10
BWAL Is My Hero

1986 Mustang GT Vert!
TBD

JakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant future

Didn't the engineer from Kansas (IIRC) , can't remember his SN for the life of me, with the Blue Novi-powered car that came to Chicago with us have a problem with his Black/Chrom 20" FR500's?

*My YouTube channel*
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang GT

schoff will become famous soon enough

I agree with emay about chrome lasting along time. I have heard good things about it lasting as long as you take good care of it. But isnt that the same for everything?? The better you take care of something the longer it will last obviously. So just take good care of them!!!

My question real quick is are my wheels just powder coated or a black chrome?
Old October 13th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #12
Admanistrator

15.10@93.13

Schoff, your wheels look painted.

What is the average 1/4 mile difference between 18 and 20" wheels?

I'm really leaning towards the 20"s, and I like there to be some meat showing on the tire-no super low profiles for me (but not as much as is on the stockers )

MAD Stangs #8
Old October 14th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #13
booooost'd

2014 5.0 Brembo M6
1/4 Mile? Cones Baby!

Jucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Emay View Post
Depending on region redipping a set of 4 (20")chromes will run from 500-1000.

The only reason chrome degrades over time is becuase of poor maintenance. It is by far the easiest surface to maintain and as long as you upkeep it (Weekly washes, monthly polish or coat of wax, remove them for winters) then they will last long beyond the length most people own their cars.

Keep this in mind, chromes is as easy to clean as glass cleaner and microfiber towel.

Even lesser quality chrome can last long periods of time as long as the elements aren't too harsh. Living by the sea, or in a climate where roads are white all winter long from overkill salt dispersion, will make the upkeep more and require anal attentive wheel care.

When I was chroming motorcycle components I sent every single wheel job to California and the money paid in shipping was worth the end result.

All that said, I'm a color wheel kinda guy these days. Polished or chrome lip with an anodized or powdered main section give me wood.
Most issues with chrome peel happen inside the rim under the tire. Most people don't have access to maintenance that area. The biggest problem is when the chrome peels around the bead which causes the tire to leak. You can clean the outside all you want, it won't fix this problem.

1988 LX Hatch 5.0 - SOLD!
2007 Vortech GT - SOLD!
2009 Procharged GT - SOLD!
2014 Oxford White 5.0 Brembo M6
Old October 14th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #14
Admanistrator

15.10@93.13

I just read this thread Faulty Black Chrome Wheels--Others Black Chrome Wheels are holding up much better - MustangForums.com

and some other information about BC, and then I went on AM to look around, and I came across the chrome Saleens.

I am blown away. There is a picture of a white S197 with those wheels, and it looks like they were made for each other. 18"

I wish American Muscle sold Nitto Invo's. All they have are 555's and NTO5's.

And sumitomo's....

MAD Stangs #8
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #15
May 08 ROTM

1953 F100

Originally Posted by Towelly View Post
Didn't the engineer from Kansas (IIRC) , can't remember his SN for the life of me, with the Blue Novi-powered car that came to Chicago with us have a problem with his Black/Chrom 20" FR500's?
Casey?

uniqueimagerybyemay
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #16
May 08 ROTM

1953 F100

Originally Posted by Jucostud View Post
Most issues with chrome peel happen inside the rim under the tire. Most people don't have access to maintenance that area. The biggest problem is when the chrome peels around the bead which causes the tire to leak. You can clean the outside all you want, it won't fix this problem.
Never had any wheel I've owned come apart from the inside, so I have no ability to talk to that. That's shotty prep for sure.

uniqueimagerybyemay
Old October 15th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #17
More Is Better.

2006 Roush Stage 1 Blown
12.4@117

DiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to DiMora

I have Roush chrome 18" rims...

Most people on the Roush forum have had their chrome peel, but I have not (yet).

I am meticulous about keeping them clean; I'll get out the air tools and pull the wheel just to clean them sometimes.

I use Mother's chrome polish or for quick touch-up I use Honda Polish which is a motorcycle spray cleaner that is good for everything (Plexiglass, paint, chrome, etc.). I buy it by the case. It isn't called Honda Polish anymore but it is the same thing (And Kalifornia banned Honda Polish for some reason; probably causes cancer in unborn lab rats, LOL) but I digress...in between polishings I have been using Optimum NO-Rinse car wash on the whole car, rims included.

I of course have no salt or sand in ATL, and the roads are excellent, so that probably helps.

My Website
Roush TVS Supercharger / T56 Magnum XL 6 speed
Steeda suspension /Big Brakes / BMR K Member
Mac L/T's / Prochamber / Roush Extremes
"Daily Driver" RWHP: 492@9 PSI w/ LT's
"Dyno Queen": 512@12 PSI-stock exhaust
Mods in Garage
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #18
Admanistrator

15.10@93.13

I think I am going to stay away from the BC, and I will get 18" chrome Saleens.

Chrome Saleen Wheel 05-11 (18x9) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Look like pure sex on that white car in the customer images.

MAD Stangs #8
Old October 16th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #19
Regular

2008 GT CS

whitestang04 is on a distinguished road

you can't go wrong with the saleens, i had them for almost a year and they still looked brand new when i sold the car, that was after driving the car one winter in salty conditions as well, because i sold the stock wheels.
Pypes headers, o/r x pipe, Bassani Axle Back, Hurst STS, Injen PowerFlow CAI, SCT SF3 w/ BAMA 93R tune, 3:73s, GT500 front end conversion
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #20
BWAL Is My Hero

1986 Mustang GT Vert!
TBD

JakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant futureJakeM has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Emay View Post
Casey?
I believe that is correct.

*My YouTube channel*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/187617-problems-chrome-black-chrome-wheels.html
Posted By For Type Date
Mustang Chrome Wheels This thread Refback May 22nd, 2011 12:33 AM

Threads Similar to: Problems with chrome or black chrome wheels??
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any love for the black chrome wheels?! Chris02 99 - 04 47 April 22nd, 2010 11:58 AM
black chrome wheels kodiak 99 - 04 5 December 30th, 2009 01:10 PM
Black Chrome wheels Chris02 Pictures 18 November 20th, 2009 07:28 AM
need pics of black chrome wheels bullitt5576 The Clubhouse 18 December 20th, 2008 07:22 PM
Black Chrome Wheels mrbill4 2005 - 2010 28 May 21st, 2008 08:49 PM