Why change gears?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Regular

2008 Mustang GT

napoleonpp is on a distinguished road

Why change gears?

Ok I opened one topic awhile back about which gears to buy so sorry about this. What exactly do upgrading the gears do? The different ratio determines how many times the tires turn correct? I want more power in the low gears. Faster takeoff is what I want. I drive mostly in the city everyday so that's what I enjoy most. Then just the one or two long trips a year to see family. I read 4:10s is what I need for what I want. That will not tear anything up on my long trips will it? Also I'd need to adjust my speedometer then correct? Thanks

2008 Mustang GT
-Pypes off road x-pipe
-Axle-back SLP Loudmouth
-4.10 Gears waiting to install
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2
2011 September ROTM

2006 Mustang GT
12.04 119

Yur2slo is a jewel in the roughYur2slo is a jewel in the roughYur2slo is a jewel in the roughYur2slo is a jewel in the rough

4.10s will give you alot better acceleration and will slightly decrease your fuel milage on the freeway. long term nothing will be bothered. have a professional install them and you will need a handheld to reprogram the speedo

F1a Procharger 14psi, MMR 900, Tr6060, Remote tuned by Ray Mcclelland = Daily Driver
Numbers coming soon
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #3
Regular

2008 Mustang GT

I will definitely have a professional install them. Yeah after I buy the gears I'm going to purchase a CAI and tuner combo. Will the tuner fix the speedometer or do I need to purchase something else for that?

2008 Mustang GT
-Pypes off road x-pipe
-Axle-back SLP Loudmouth
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Made in U.S.A.

2011 F150 FX4

Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the programmer will fix the speedometer.
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 Mustang GT

Kadorja will become famous soon enough

Damn here I thought I could help but Yur and Nasty covered it pretty much.

Depending on how you like to drive and how much highway speeds you see then I would say 4.10s or 3.73s. I love my 4.10s but with my louder exhaust its a pain sometimes on the highway which I see hardly any of so im ok with them.

If you do drive on the highway once or twice a week I would say 3.73s. Your low end would pick up but the fuel mileage should be great. I can get about 20+ on the highway now but the city driving kills me. Its mostly my cams but the gears dont help.

2004 Harley Road King
2008 Corvette

Youtube

08 Vette w/ forged LS3, P1SC, blower cam, long tubes, 3" exhaust and meth injection.
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #6
Enthusiast

2008 GT
12 is the goal

08redgt will become famous soon enough

Why change gears?
Because race car!
Old August 29th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #7
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!

07 GT
12.86@104

psycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to psycho bob

you'll love the 4.10's and they will also be fine on the highway and possibly improve city gas mileage.

w/ heads, cams, & 4.10's i was getting 18 city 21 highway. that's also with a 26" diameter tire which is smaller than stock so actually turning the wheels faster. if you're on stock height tires and since you don't have the other mods you may see better than that.

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:49 AM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT

DsmDave is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't fear the gear. When I was learning about gears my dad told me this and I realized it made more sense to me. 3.73 means if you turn the driveshaft one the wheels turn three full turn and 3/4 but 4.10 is just over four times.
bbk longtubes, bassani x, borla stingers, AM intake,bbk throttle body, Under drive pullies,Zex wet 125hp kit SCT Tuned by bama and drag radials, drag springs, agx shocks, lower control arms, subframe connectors

MM+Cleavage Club #26
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #9
Regular

2008 Mustang GT

Ok that's what I was thinking they do. I think I'm gonna throw 4.10s on it along with some 17s

2008 Mustang GT
-Pypes off road x-pipe
-Axle-back SLP Loudmouth
Old August 29th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #10
Regular

anothermustanguy will become famous soon enough

You didn't mention auto or manual. Gears are especially good for people wanting max accelleration from a dead stop, that have the tires and suspension to hook up the power on tap. On my car with near stock engine, 1st gear will rarely hook up so the main advantage would be making 2nd gear lower. Also, changing ratios changes the spacing between the gears, making more of a close ratio transmission.

"back in the day" (im one of the old guys of this forum) many cars, especially autos had rediculously high gearing (low numerically). It wasn't uncommon to shift into 2nd at 60 mph. Combine that with a tight torque converter, and it makes for pretty sluggish takeoff. Our cars have much lower 1st gear so in my opinion not as much of an advantage. I've held off on gears because it seems like as is I"m already shifting out of 1st before I cross the intersection. But I'm thinking with lower gears I might be able to take off in 2nd without hurting the clutch.
Old August 29th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #11
Regular

2008 Mustang GT

I own a stock 2008 GT which is a manual. After I install gears I think CAI and tune is next. Then a short throw shifter. Another question. Should I get my tune after I mod everything else that way it's tuned to what all mods I have installed. For instance; install gears, CAI, Short throw shifter, and wheels and then tune or what? Thanks

2008 Mustang GT
-Pypes off road x-pipe
-Axle-back SLP Loudmouth
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #12
Hardcore Enthusiast

wrathchild is a jewel in the roughwrathchild is a jewel in the roughwrathchild is a jewel in the roughwrathchild is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by napoleonpp View Post
I own a stock 2008 GT which is a manual. After I install gears I think CAI and tune is next. Then a short throw shifter. Another question. Should I get my tune after I mod everything else that way it's tuned to what all mods I have installed. For instance; install gears, CAI, Short throw shifter, and wheels and then tune or what? Thanks
You need a tune right away for the CAI. And you need to reprogram the speedo (which a handheld tuner will do) when you do the gears.

So just buy the handheld now
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

wrathchild is a jewel in the roughwrathchild is a jewel in the roughwrathchild is a jewel in the roughwrathchild is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by anothermustanguy View Post
Also, changing ratios changes the spacing between the gears, making more of a close ratio transmission.

Not to jump all over you, but that is just flat out wrong. Gear ratios are gear ratios. Changing the final drive, changes the final drive, it doesnt somehow get inside the transmission and change the gears, which is the only way you can change gear ratios inside the tranny.
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #14

07 GT
12.86@104

psycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to behold

when you are shopping for a cai. do not even bother w/ one that doesn't require a tune. just do yourself a favor and go straight to a C&L or JLT.

Old August 29th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #15
Regular

2008 Mustang GT

Ok so I guess I will just get the short throw shifter after the gears, CAI and tune. Should I get a tune after the short throw or is there no need for that?

2008 Mustang GT
-Pypes off road x-pipe
-Axle-back SLP Loudmouth
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #16

07 GT
12.86@104

the shifter has nothing to do with the tune.

when you get the cai/tune combo you are able to adjust the parameters for things like gear ratio, tire rotation (changes depending on tire height), rev limiter, speed limiter, ect...

Old August 29th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #17
Hardcore Enthusiast

Originally Posted by psycho bob View Post
when you are shopping for a cai. do not even bother w/ one that doesn't require a tune. just do yourself a favor and go straight to a C&L or JLT.
100% agree with that. I cant see any reason to buy one that doesnt require a tune. Sure, ok if you are at lowish mod levels, there wont be a power difference (I doubt there would be anyway), but why set up a possible future bottleneck, and there is a 99% chance you will buy a tuner anyway, so just get one that needs a tune (bigger)

I love the JLT, its the cheapest (at least I think it is) and its HUGE.
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #18

07 GT
12.86@104

Originally Posted by wrathchild View Post
100% agree that......... its HUGE.
that's what she said

Last edited by psycho bob; August 29th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old August 30th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #19
Regular

2007 Mustang GT

garrin is on a distinguished road

What about new gears (3.73) with a blower? I do not want to stay N/A for much longer and have been a little nervous about changing gears with the plan for a supercharger? I've heard that it won't hurt and then I've heard horror stories.
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #20
Hardcore Enthusiast

From everything I have read. 3.73 is too much gear for a positive displacement blower, I would go like 3.55

But centrifugal blowers, 3.73/4.10 seems to be good.

This is just going off what I have read here.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Why change gears?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possibly Getting New Gears...THIS IS NOT ANOHER ''WHAT GEARS SHOULD I GET THREAD"! BC03 99 - 04 84 September 10th, 2011 05:44 PM
Color change me and change my wheels... PLZ RZNCAIN Chopshop 26 August 19th, 2011 10:57 AM
3.73 gears, speedometer change? stevenb913 2005 - 2010 V6 1 April 10th, 2011 03:02 AM
which to change... tires smaller or gears shorter? 2006greyGT 2005 - 2010 19 July 16th, 2009 09:58 AM
Will 4.10 gears change gas milage? MustangMo V6 Mustangs 2 May 20th, 2007 11:40 AM