Modded Mustang Forums banner

What are my options

746 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jason2103 
#1 ·
So I installed my GT500 Brembo breaks, Stop tech SS lines on all 4 corners, and bleed the brakes. That is the good news.

I had my dad buy 2 quarts of dot 3/4 synthetic brake oil from pep boys yesterday night because I was working and I planned to install my GT500 Brembo breaks, Stop tech SS lines on all 4 corners, and bleed the brakes today. So I pick up the 2 bottles from his house, put them in the passenger seat and head over to a friends garage to put them on. When I got there I take the bottles out and notice there was a wet spot. I touched it and come to find out one of the bottles had a leak in it! :eek: There was a small hole in the bottom of the bottle and was slowing leaking into my leather seats! :( I got some wipes and proceeded to clean the mess up. Well the oil started to eat away the material of the seat!! I cleaned it up and noticed a little later more kept seeping to the surface. :eek:

I went to pep boys and told them the young man at the counter the story and he refereed me to a manager. Which in turn told me to speak with another manager. Then every Tom, Dick, and Harry that worked there wanted to know what the hell was the matter which I had to keep telling the story to, which they all seemed like they could have gave 2 shits about the problem. They finally told me to speak to this manager who isn't a manager anymore from what everyone was saying. I don't really know his story. So I moved to the side and patiently waited for him. About 15 mins went by , he walked up, I smiled at him and introduced my self as I extended my hand. He eyed me up and down then shook my hand. I told him the story and before I could really finish he said I can't do anything. Due to the faulty product they sold me the only thing they could replace it. The "manager" said just call cooperate and deal with them.

I was patient, clam, and respectful. During this whole mess not one single person said I'm sorry for what happened, is there naything I can do to help. NOTHING! I know it wasn't their intentions to sell my a faulty product. My seat is unusable and ruined, but more to the fact how they handled the problem. They were unhelpful and not willing to assist me in any way. YES I was looking for some type of compensation. I would have been surprised if they bought me a new leather chair and didn't expect that, but I mean can you give me some cleaning supplies to where I can remove the mess a little better? Or a ****ing discount on those cleaing supplies. I shop there often but I won't be going back.

Now what should I do about the problem? Should I persue it further? Is there anyway I can save my seat? I really don't feel like buying racing seats right now... Ugh.. this just blew my mind on how much of a piece of **** I was being treated as.

See less See more
#2 ·
Pep Boys has absolutely zero liability in this case. It sucks but it is what it is.

Call the dealership and ask how much the leather for the bottom part of that seat costs. Its not like you have to re-do the entire seat.

And never, EVER, EVERRRRR put chemicals on your seats, regardless of how well sealed you think they are. I dont even put chinese take out on my seat, it goes on the passenger side floor.

#4 ·
break fluid will literally eat everything it sits on. and it does suck that stores like that have no liability on that sh** happens.

#6 ·
just take that seat out and save yourself some weight. you might like it.

i'd persue it further though. those seats are not cheap. pepboys might not be responsible, but what kind of company puts a corrosive chemical into a bottle with holes in it? had that **** leaked into, say, your groceries which you later consumed, you could've developed cancer and died. call the manufacturer of the brake fluid.

#9 ·
Okay, I thought about it a few days and this is what I'd figure I might try. Is there any way I can swap the driver seat to the passenger side? This way I can just buy 1 just one racing seat. I've looked at some that start at 199.99 shipped and then go to a few grand. If there is a way to do this or has any one heard of this feel free to chime in guys. I searched but didn't find anything.

NOTE: Searched on s197 Forum

#11 ·
Honestly, I don't think you can get them to do anything about it. The reason they were looking at you weird is because they probably don't remember you. Your dad picked it up for you, so they are probably thinking, who the hell is this guy? If they know that you weren't the one that picked it up they are going to question if your dad dropped it, so I would just give up on that.

+1 on never putting that stuff on your seats. I personally will not put anything in the cab of the car for things like this, everything goes in the trunk. Food, oils, everything.

Can you post pictures of this so we can see the damage? Would help in giving advice.

Sorry again man, that blows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.