Replace pinion seal in rear (how much?)
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:10 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
I'm Ridin A Coyote!!!!!

mr.burton is a glorious beacon of lightmr.burton is a glorious beacon of lightmr.burton is a glorious beacon of lightmr.burton is a glorious beacon of lightmr.burton is a glorious beacon of lightmr.burton is a glorious beacon of light

Replace pinion seal in rear (how much?)

I got a very small leak, a drop a night pretty much. I tracked it down to the pinion seal in in the rear end (common problem with these cars). I know the part is really cheap but how long/labor would ford charge you think? I called em up, and they wouldn't give me a quote.

Another thing, the previous owner installed an aluminum one piece driveshaft and gears along with a rear diff LPW cover. Will they NOT touch the car because it is not stock?

Old November 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #2
I'm Ridin A Coyote!!!!!

mr.burton is a glorious beacon of lightmr.burton is a glorious beacon of lightmr.burton is a glorious beacon of lightmr.burton is a glorious beacon of lightmr.burton is a glorious beacon of lightmr.burton is a glorious beacon of light

Called up it's like $150 parts/labor. My question is should i even worry about this? There is only a drip on the floor sometimes, today after letting it sit 9 hours no drip. Is this something that can really get bad and pour out gear oil?
Old November 28th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Eat Springs, Shit Valves

2008 Mustang GT

AnotherS197GT has much to be proud ofAnotherS197GT has much to be proud ofAnotherS197GT has much to be proud ofAnotherS197GT has much to be proud ofAnotherS197GT has much to be proud ofAnotherS197GT has much to be proud ofAnotherS197GT has much to be proud ofAnotherS197GT has much to be proud ofAnotherS197GT has much to be proud ofAnotherS197GT has much to be proud of

I would get it fixed. Leaks are annoying and will only get worse. For $150 its better to nip it in the bud.
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #4
I'm Ridin A Coyote!!!!!

Originally Posted by AnotherS197GT View Post
I would get it fixed. Leaks are annoying and will only get worse. For $150 its better to nip it in the bud.
Yeah true man. I called the ford dealer the guy was really cool too. I'd do it myself but screw that lol all i have is jack stands.
Old November 28th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #5
"Spectre" Veteran

2006 Mustang GT

dragrace4fun is on a distinguished road

Still not too bad on jack stands...unbolt U-joint, pull pinion yoke, make mess, quickly replace seal...replace lost fluid; RP stuff needs no friction modifier. Still, if you're one to be strapped for a couple hours on a weekend and/or get frustrated easily, dealership is next best thing...or trusted local mechanic.
SCT Bama Tuned, C&L Racer CAI, GMS Hot Streets, MotoBlue UDPs, OBX LT & O/R-H, American Thunders, Pro 5.0 STS, DSS 1-pc D/S, FRPP P-springs/sways, JDM Strut Mounts, Tokico D-specs, Steeda UCA/LCAs, NT-450 275/50 all 4 corners
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/240752-replace-pinion-seal-rear-how-much.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread Rack and Pinion Seal? | Forums at Modded Mustangs | BoardReader This thread Refback February 19th, 2012 11:57 AM

Threads Similar to: Replace pinion seal in rear (how much?)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pinion Seal 02gtKev 99 - 04 8 July 19th, 2011 06:30 PM
Rear end pinion seal orangestang42 5.0 Mustangs 14 July 17th, 2011 02:50 PM
pinion seal... 99blackgt 99 - 04 4 August 3rd, 2009 07:20 AM
pinion seal 07stanggt 2005 - 2010 7 October 22nd, 2008 01:17 PM
How to replace the Rear Main Seal shawn91stang 5.0 Mustangs 3 January 4th, 2007 06:18 PM