new parts now rear end noise, help!
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
y u no fast?

2007 Mustang Shelby GT
N/A

Omeanix is on a distinguished road

new parts now rear end noise, help!

so i got a maximum motor sports panhard bar for my 2007 Shelby GT, installed it and now there is a constant metal whine that is consistent with the cars acceleration. (faster i go the louder then gets softer when i slow down) some i have talked to say its the harmonic vibration of the new panhard bar. anyone hear of this? dealt with this? fixed this?

I also picked the rear end up from the pumpkin cause this have contributed to the noise maybe changing the pinion angle and causing the flange bearing to make the noise?

also i installed a J&M UAC and Eibach lower control arms little after, no with those install i hear a clunking noise while driving when i push in the clutch and engage the clutch back. also another high pitched ringing at higher speeds. The clunking im assuming is the U Joints connecting the drive shaft to the rear diff.

I'm hoping i can just check the pinion angle once i get an angle finder and that will help. i want to swap out the drive shaft for an aluminium one anyway but would like to fix the noises before i get to that. any help, advice, your stories will help. thanks in advance.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2
At the Apex pulling 1.28g

2009 Mustang GT
1/4 mile what?

Whiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Whiskey11

Originally Posted by Omeanix View Post
so i got a maximum motor sports panhard bar for my 2007 Shelby GT, installed it and now there is a constant metal whine that is consistent with the cars acceleration. (faster i go the louder then gets softer when i slow down) some i have talked to say its the harmonic vibration of the new panhard bar. anyone hear of this? dealt with this? fixed this?

I also picked the rear end up from the pumpkin cause this have contributed to the noise maybe changing the pinion angle and causing the flange bearing to make the noise?

also i installed a J&M UAC and Eibach lower control arms little after, no with those install i hear a clunking noise while driving when i push in the clutch and engage the clutch back. also another high pitched ringing at higher speeds. The clunking im assuming is the U Joints connecting the drive shaft to the rear diff.

I'm hoping i can just check the pinion angle once i get an angle finder and that will help. i want to swap out the drive shaft for an aluminium one anyway but would like to fix the noises before i get to that. any help, advice, your stories will help. thanks in advance.
Don't know what to tell you about the whine other than I'm not surprised that a Ford 8.8 whines a little. Heck, my bone stock, 24k mile 09 GT has a little bit of a whine when cruising around at about 65 MPH. My previous 06 V6 had a similar issue at 24k mile and it went in to Ford 3 times for the same reason. I was told the issue was with the bearing races having pitting in them. None of the guys working on it at the time could figure it out. They eventually replaced the entire unit on the 3rd time in with one straight from the factory. The whine disappeared but I'm sure the new owner has the same issue.

As for the clunking. Did you replace the Upper Control Arm mount when you replaced the UCA? If you didn't, I'm willing to bet the bolt that is sent with the J&M unit is smaller in diameter than the OEM bolt is which allows the UCA bolt to move when you load and unload the suspension by pressing in the clutch. It COULD be the drive shaft clunking (notorious problem for the S197's 2 piece drive shaft) but I'm more willing to put money on the UCA bolt being the issue.

Needless to say, installing anything with stiffer bushings is going to transmit more noise, vibration and harshness to the cabin of the vehicle. It's the nature of the game.

10 August 2014 After Action Report:
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...oints-5-a.html
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #3
"Spectre" Veteran

2006 Mustang GT

dragrace4fun is on a distinguished road

I agree...there will me a little transmission of noise from the rear end when you involve poly bushings...MUCH more with solid bushings (spherical bearings). You'll get used to it.

+1 on that bolt thing. Steeda ones were the same on the UCA until they sent bushings/included them in the kits.
SCT Bama Tuned, C&L Racer CAI, GMS Hot Streets, MotoBlue UDPs, OBX LT & O/R-H, American Thunders, Pro 5.0 STS, DSS 1-pc D/S, FRPP P-springs/sways, JDM Strut Mounts, Tokico D-specs, Steeda UCA/LCAs, NT-450 275/50 all 4 corners
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #4
y u no fast?

2007 Mustang Shelby GT
N/A

well mine was over 35k miles with no whine in the rear until i installed the panhard bar. which i installed first and tested then got the other parts later.

with the UAC you are right i kept to the stock mount, but there wasn't any bolts sent with the UAC it used the OEM bolt. i think i may have found one issue causing some noise one of the lower control arms locking nut is loose on one side but not sure if thats it. the UAC i used is the adj. J&M UAC from americanmuscle.com for the 05-10 models. i will def have to get back under there and check for signs of movement near the UAC mounts and such. thanks for the info.

yeh more road noise was expected but not noises like this, i do want to go with a 1 piece drive shaft next. i heard that it makes for a smoother feel when driving.

i did read on some dodge truck 4x4 forum where a guy had a similar whine and it was the flange bearing and its not crucial just annoying. i just don't want my rear end cracking apart like a lego house going down the road lol.
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #5
y u no fast?

2007 Mustang Shelby GT
N/A

here is a link to an install guide using the exact UAC i got, in step 11 you can see they sent anti-clunk bushings that came with it.

S197 Ford Mustang Adjustable Upper Control Arm Install StangNet

it was pretty solid and tight all around.
Old February 18th, 2012, 03:23 AM   #6
Enthusiast

06 mustang gt

pitbull4.6 is on a distinguished road

did you set the pinion angle with the uca?

was it an adjustable panhard?

Last edited by Nasty; February 18th, 2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #7

2009 Mustang GT
1/4 mile what?

Whiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond reputeWhiskey11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Omeanix View Post
here is a link to an install guide using the exact UAC i got, in step 11 you can see they sent anti-clunk bushings that came with it.

S197 Ford Mustang Adjustable Upper Control Arm Install StangNet

it was pretty solid and tight all around.
As interesting as a set of anti clunk bushings are, its not a solid replacement for a new mount, however I don't think they would cause that sort of problem with new parts. I'm sure its a matter of pinion angle adjustment and the drive shaft making noise. My driveshaft makes tons of noise on my GT and I have only replaced the shocks and struts!

For the PHB noise you could try wrapping a small section with electrical tape and see if it dampens the bars movement at all. Make sure to get the bar super clean before wrapping if it works. Then again, the problem could go away entirely with the pinion angle. Being corrected too.

Old February 18th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

wrathchild is a jewel in the roughwrathchild is a jewel in the roughwrathchild is a jewel in the roughwrathchild is a jewel in the rough

my vote is either the pinion angle isnt right (just adjust it) or its a noise that has always been there, but has been isolated from you because of the softer bushings, and now its transmitted to you through the harder bushings. As for fixing it, double check the pinion angle, and if you dont have the weights on your axle you could try getting ahold of them and installing them to see if they dampen the vibrations.
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #9
More Is Better.

2006 Roush Stage 1 Blown
12.4@117

DiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to DiMora

Pinion angle has nothing to do with the pan hard bar.

All the PHB does is center the rear axle when the car is sitting at rest.

If the noise started after you added the PHB, but before the UCA / LCA's, then it is the PHB...either poorly lubed bushings, improper torque on the bolts, the bar touching metal, or the design of the bar itself.

My Website
Roush TVS Supercharger / T56 Magnum XL 6 speed
Steeda suspension /Big Brakes / BMR K Member
Mac L/T's / Prochamber / Roush Extremes
"Daily Driver" RWHP: 492@9 PSI w/ LT's
"Dyno Queen": 512@12 PSI-stock exhaust
Mods in Garage
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #10
Regular

2007 Mustang GT

FordEvangelist will become famous soon enough

I would double check all the torques. I think most of the bigger rear suspension bolts are about 129 lb/ft of torque. If you only get maybe 110 lb/ft, it's not enough. I know from experience! I had clunking on mine and re-torquing everything properly fixed it. Double check the pinion angle, too.

Also, if any bolts were replaced, be sure they are Grade 8 or better. Made that mistake, too
Old February 18th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #11
KILLER

2008 Shelby GT500
FAAAAAAAAAST

stri8ed is just really nicestri8ed is just really nicestri8ed is just really nicestri8ed is just really nicestri8ed is just really nice

Originally Posted by dragrace4fun View Post
I agree...there will me a little transmission of noise from the rear end when you involve poly bushings...MUCH more with solid bushings (spherical bearings). You'll get used to it.

+1 on that bolt thing. Steeda ones were the same on the UCA until they sent bushings/included them in the kits.
Small hyjacking of this thread: I have Spohn Del Sphere LCAs im installing next week, should I expect noise, due to them having bearings instead of bushings? thanks.
Old February 18th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #12

2009 Mustang GT
1/4 mile what?

Originally Posted by DiMora View Post
Pinion angle has nothing to do with the pan hard bar.

All the PHB does is center the rear axle when the car is sitting at rest.

If the noise started after you added the PHB, but before the UCA / LCA's, then it is the PHB...either poorly lubed bushings, improper torque on the bolts, the bar touching metal, or the design of the bar itself.
Unless of course the PHB was added post lowering (as it seems it is) in which case it could be falsely attributed to the PHB but its actually the pinion angle causing the noise. The easiest check is to put the stock PHB back on and see if the noise is still present. If it is then it could quite easily be the pinion angle. If its not then checking torque and all that is a good idea.

Old February 18th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2009 Mustang GT/CS
274hp 296tq bone stock

DRock will become famous soon enoughDRock will become famous soon enough

The mm panhard bar has rod ends. They will ad a little noise.

New setup coming..........
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #14
y u no fast?

2007 Mustang Shelby GT
N/A

sorry for the delay, i work long days in a data center, so when i see outside light i run around like a kid lol j/k

@ pitbull: i didn't set the pinion angle, the UCA was sent set to stock length and i matched it up to make sure. now they say when a car is lowered it needs to be adjusted but the shelby gt's came lowered 1.5 inches from shelby and no noise ever since i bought it until i jacked it up and installed the panhard bar. i bought a magnetic angle finder tonight though and will hopefully have that checked and set soon.

@ whisky: yeh i have tried a little electrical tape already but didn't do anything, i could try wrapping the whole bar but i dunno. the stock bar sounded like it had sand in it lol i thought at first it was just road dirt but now that i think about it maybe it was put there to soften the vibrations to eliminate the sound, the new bar is super light and sounds like it has a hollow core, maybe stuffing some play sand in there will help lol. and yes this was all done post lowering like i said before i bought the car lowered, all the shelby gt's come lowered but no issues before so i figured all the "stock" settings would work so i hope its the pinion angle, or a bad flange bearing.

@ fordevangelist: yeh i have gone over all the bolts again and again with the torque wrench and everything is snug, as soon as i heard this mess i was under there kicking and torquing lol no bolts where replaced, everything i got utilized OEM bolts and i will be checking the pinion angle shortly.

@stri8ed: yeh i would expect more noise with anything aftermarket in the rear, the Lower arms will be stiffer and transfer noise more, i was expecting more road noise, not a collection of noises like rock band lol.

lastly i will be checking the pinion angle first due to the car being pre-lowered i think its that or the flange bearing boinkin' out cause i lifted the car from the pumpkin. sorry to be redundant here had many people to address. thanks for all your input guys it really helps. and yeh whisky after some reading i will prob upgrade the UCA mount soon anyway from what i have read up about them, thks.

A friend of mine did suggest getting one of those floaty pool noodles and wrapping at around the panhard bar to suppress it lol will def do pics if it comes to that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: new parts now rear end noise, help!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear end noise? 98GTstang 96 - 98 13 October 29th, 2010 01:55 PM
REAR END NOISE>>> Please help Daniel4.6 99 - 04 3 May 21st, 2009 12:15 AM
Noise from rear - vid tomzac Modular Mustangs 1 October 8th, 2007 10:12 AM
rear end noise dirg5 General Tech 6 July 18th, 2007 10:41 AM
Noise in rear end OTreborO 5.0 Mustangs 3 August 7th, 2006 04:47 PM