Bought a used SCT Tuner... need help understanding something
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Regular

2006 Mustang GT Premium

ghst is on a distinguished road

Bought a used SCT Tuner... need help understanding something

I purchased a Steeda CAI and SCT SF3 (the tuner says SF3, but the box says X3 so I have no idea) from somebody who owned a mustang on craigslist (same as mine, 2006 gt), and I'm still a little confused as to how they work exactly.

I tuned my car to work with 91 octane & my CAI, and it's been running fine since. The tuner has an option for "Brenspeed Custom Tune", but I'm assuming that's a tune he received/purchased that came with the tuner when he bought it.

Am I in the clear since things have been running fine? Or do I still need to get a custom tune from brenspeed/AM?

Even though the tuner was unlocked and married to my car, am I still using a tune from the previous owner?

Are the strategy tunes & custom tunes completely different from each other, and the strategy tunes stay locked to the device?

Thanks guys, I'm just trying to clear up some confusion haha.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #2
KILLER

2008 Shelby GT500
FAAAAAAAAAST

stri8ed is just really nicestri8ed is just really nicestri8ed is just really nicestri8ed is just really nicestri8ed is just really nice

Did you, regardless of the hand held tuner, ever call someone or email someone and tell them to write a tune for YOUR car? If the answer is no, then I guess you are using one of his old tunes. The tuner is just the computer programmer. You need a tune written for YOUR car with YOUR mods.
Boost: 16lbs

Addicted
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #3
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!

07 GT
12.86@104

psycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to psycho bob

you're probably using the strategy tune from the xcal tuner. did you use the tune labeled brenspeed or did you tell the tuner what mods you have.

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Regular

2006 Mustang GT Premium

Originally Posted by psycho bob View Post
you're probably using the strategy tune from the xcal tuner. did you use the tune labeled brenspeed or did you tell the tuner what mods you have.
I went to strategy tune, and selected STEEDA 90MM CAI and Octane 91, then proceeded to tune the car. STEEDA 90MM CAI was previously saved onto the tuner when I first plugged it in by default (did it carry over from the previous owner?).
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Insomniac

2006, Ford Mustang GT
12.42@113.00

BIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to all

You're fine, you're using one of the preloaded tunes as long as you have all the correct options checked you're good to go. As for the brenspeed tune you're also correct that is a custom tune for the previous owner. I wouldn't suggest using the custom tune it without full knowledge of what it was written for.
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #6
Regular

2006 Mustang GT Premium

I guess I'm just getting confused, because I thought brenspeed/AM will make strategy tunes for you and that I was using a strategy tune from Brenspeed or something.

I just want to ensure that what I'm using is for my car & won't damage it by using the wrong settings.
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #7
Insomniac

2006, Ford Mustang GT
12.42@113.00

BIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to all

I have an x3 the "strategy tune" section are the preloaded tunes
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #8
Regular

2006 Mustang GT Premium

Originally Posted by BIGCHRISS197 View Post
I have an x3 the "strategy tune" section are the preloaded tunes
When I go to strategy tune, it gives me the option to use "Saved Option", "Default Options", or "Skip Options"... are these the preloaded tunes? The options?

So would I be correct in assuming that a default strategy tune is the same as stock settings in the car (since every option would be set to "stock")?
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #9
Insomniac

2006, Ford Mustang GT
12.42@113.00

Saved options are the options you chose in the tune, default options resets the tuner options, skip options just skips option menu. To return to stock there's a specific option for that
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #10
Regular

2006 Mustang GT Premium

So the strategy tune is just a single tune file I can continuously tweak to my liking as I upgrade my stang?
Old October 12th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #11
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!

07 GT
12.86@104

psycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to beholdpsycho bob is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to psycho bob

i also wouldn't suggest using the brenspeed tune that's on the tuner. in addition to not knowing what the tune is for you also don't know what the ecu code is. if the ecu the code was written for isn't the same as your car it won't work.

Old October 12th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #12
Regular

2006 Mustang GT Premium

I keep reading on other forums that there are like 3-5 strategy tunes for people's vehicles... I'm not seeing any strategy tunes other than it asking me to select my vehicle, and then adjust the options or skip them.
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:31 AM   #13
Regular

2006 Mustang GT Premium

Does mine just not have any canned tunes for some reason?
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #14
╚⊙ ⊙╝

2000 V6 - 1995 GT
2000 Silverado 1500

Goose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ghst View Post
Does mine just not have any canned tunes for some reason?
from my understanding the only difference from the sf3 and the x3 is that the sf3 comes from sct with some basic canned tunes, while as the x3 does not.

i am not 100% sure of this, but i remember reading it somewhere
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #15
Regular

2006 Mustang GT Premium

Originally Posted by southfour! View Post
from my understanding the only difference from the sf3 and the x3 is that the sf3 comes from sct with some basic canned tunes, while as the x3 does not.

i am not 100% sure of this, but i remember reading it somewhere
Well I contacted the person who sold me the tuner, and he assures me it's an SF3. I just don't understand why there are no canned tunes to choose from...
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #16
╚⊙ ⊙╝

2000 V6 - 1995 GT
2000 Silverado 1500

Goose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant future

Well I contacted the person who sold me the tuner, and he assures me it's an SF3. I just don't understand why there are no canned tunes to choose from...
maybe he deleted them?

its a good idea to get a tune made for your car (dyno) it will show much better results than a canned tune
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #17
Regular

2006 Mustang GT Premium

Originally Posted by southfour! View Post
maybe he deleted them?

its a good idea to get a tune made for your car (dyno) it will show much better results than a canned tune
I just did a little reading, and apparently the 3 canned tunes that come for the 4.6l Mustang are the three octane tweaks (87,91,93). I thought that it would give you a sub-menu, similar to selecting a custom tune - but I supposed the strategy tunes "Octane" sub-menu are the canned tunes.

I'm just having trouble understanding this as a whole. Can anybody confirm this is correct? It seems the X3 is lacking the strategy tune option in general.

So, as long as I am selecting "Strategy Tune" and correctly modifying the settings to my mustang, I'm in the clear?
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #18
╚⊙ ⊙╝

2000 V6 - 1995 GT
2000 Silverado 1500

I just did a little reading, and apparently the 3 canned tunes that come for the 4.6l Mustang are the three octane tweaks (87,91,93). I thought that it would give you a sub-menu, similar to selecting a custom tune - but I supposed the strategy tunes "Octane" sub-menu are the canned tunes.

I'm just having trouble understanding this as a whole. Can anybody confirm this is correct? It seems the X3 is lacking the strategy tune option in general.

So, as long as I am selecting "Strategy Tune" and correctly modifying the settings to my mustang, I'm in the clear?
i dont really know enough to tell you your in the clear, did you have a tuner in mind for your car? i would just talk to them or give them a call to get their advice, if not there are plenty of people on here that know much more than me who can chime in for you.
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #19
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2007 Mustang GT

07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Delete or do not use any of the custom tunes as they are not written for your car or the mods that you have. Some tuners come with canned or generic strategy tunes in them. I have the XCal 3 but I have never actually looked to see if there were any canned tunes, but either the SF or XCal comes with them and the other not. The canned tunes come for a variety of CAI's and octane levels. Some may even come with more aggressive tranny shifting (if you have an automatic). The options are what you have the ability to tweak in whatever tune you choose. There is not a whole lot that you can do here but some basic changes to ignition timing, fuel trims, gear ratio, tire size, etc. When you make these changes they will be saved so whenever you change from one tune to another you don't have to make the all the option changes again. These are your saved options. Default options are basically your stock settings for when your car came from the factory. if you choose this option it resets your options to the stock tire size, gear ratio and whatever.

Hope this answers your questions. Let us know if you're still not clear on it because even though you can't screw it up too bad, it can be a hassle when you do.

When I got my first tuner I went in and played around with all the settings to see how to and just never loaded them into the car. This might be a good idea so you can become familiar with and feel confident about your tuner.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Old October 13th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #20
Made in U.S.A.

2011 F150 FX4

Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond repute

You have the SF3. The SF3 has preloaded canned tunes on it. I believe that's what you've been using. Delete the custom tunes. Order new ones from VMP Tuning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.