Battery voltage fluctuation
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
RAGEman's MLP buddy

2008 Mustang GT
14.02 @ 103.5

Rhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Rhythm Stick Send a message via MSN to Rhythm Stick

Battery voltage fluctuation

Last night I noticed that my voltage meter on my dash was fluctuating badly between normal and low. The car runs fine but my radio turned itself off and my headlights were flickering. This all started after my buddy welded up my exhaust.

Any ideas?

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
I has the sex with your dog
Originally Posted by Mach1dmb! View Post
I can't imagine trying to run a man over in a car wash, but this is Burton were talking about.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Eat Springs, Shit Valves

2008 Mustang GT

AnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant future

The voltage gauge is a dummy light. Doesn't actually do anything.

Was the battery disconnected during welding?
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3
RAGEman's MLP buddy

2008 Mustang GT
14.02 @ 103.5

Rhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud ofRhythm Stick has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AnotherS197GT View Post

No.

I can't imagine trying to run a man over in a car wash, but this is Burton were talking about.

Old January 8th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Watch n learn

Ponyryd will become famous soon enough

Try disconnecting the battery and then touch the terminals together (NOT the posts, lol), reconnect and see if its better.
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Like A Boss

2008 Mustang GT

crackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to behold

srsly?
Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Eat Springs, Shit Valves

2008 Mustang GT

AnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant futureAnotherS197GT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by graystang01 View Post
No.
In the future, disconnect the battery first. You may have toasted something. It could also be pure coincidence. I would check the alternator since those are also shitty alternator signs.

Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
srsly?
Yep. Same with the oil pressure gauge.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Watch n learn

Ponyryd will become famous soon enough

^Ya, notice how the gauge never actually moves?
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #8
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2007 Mustang GT

07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Battery gauge is not a dummy light like the oil pressure gauge. Trust me, I'm on my fifth alternator. I once drove 50+ miles on the battery and watched it slowly get lower and lower until the car died. It might not be that accurate but it will reflect the charge in your battery.

Aaron, you should have unhooked the battery before welding. From someone who is well versed on alternators, go change yours before you get stranded somewhere. It will go out at the most inconvenient time if you don't.

Edit: Saw on the news last night that there will be another season of Midnight Mayhem this year. First night of racing is the 25th of this month.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Eat Springs, Shit Valves

2008 Mustang GT

I've had my car dead in my driveway several times from a bum battery, and the gauge was still reading normal. Its about as precise as a butter knife for surgery.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #10
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2007 Mustang GT

07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my car dead in my driveway several times from a bum battery, and the gauge was still reading normal. Its about as precise as a butter knife for surgery.
Your gauge must be bad. If your battery was dead it should have reflected that. I've seen mine read from dead, to pegged, when it was over charging, and everywhere in between.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #11
The Despised Vert

2006 Satin Silver GT
11.08@125.22

2006greyGT is a jewel in the rough2006greyGT is a jewel in the rough2006greyGT is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Yahoo to 2006greyGT

my gauge works.... bounces with the bass/subs when I crank it up...

Boss, they might have gone to dummy gauges after 07....IDK

2.6l KB 298 Stroker, Ported heads Pro Motion Built 3650/McLeod RST/ MGW Short Throw LT/O/R X /Borla Touring 8 rib/65 lb injectors/GT500 twin fuel 3.73 gear Detroit Truetrac /CDC AGR Spoiler CHE K-member w/tq brace Che adj UCA
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #12
RAGEman's MLP buddy

2008 Mustang GT
14.02 @ 103.5

Almost didn't make it home tonight. All of my lights shut off and the car sputtered a few times.

Old January 9th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #13
The Despised Vert

2006 Satin Silver GT
11.08@125.22

2006greyGT is a jewel in the rough2006greyGT is a jewel in the rough2006greyGT is a jewel in the rough

after you get it charged back up..check your ground connections.. and do the old school Alt test... pull the neg cable off the battery after you start the car... if it dies it is your Alt... most likely gonna be the Alt anyway... if it is the stock one then it is over due to die... I am on my third

2.6l KB 298 Stroker, Ported heads Pro Motion Built 3650/McLeod RST/ MGW Short Throw LT/O/R X /Borla Touring 8 rib/65 lb injectors/GT500 twin fuel 3.73 gear Detroit Truetrac /CDC AGR Spoiler CHE K-member w/tq brace Che adj UCA
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #14
3v reppin'

2007 Mustang GT Conv.
12.1@112

Taxman is a splendid one to beholdTaxman is a splendid one to beholdTaxman is a splendid one to beholdTaxman is a splendid one to beholdTaxman is a splendid one to beholdTaxman is a splendid one to beholdTaxman is a splendid one to beholdTaxman is a splendid one to behold

I've gone through the same thing twice now. I'm on my third alternator. Last time I upgraded the wiring and got a high performance alternator. It's been good so far but I did have a battery issue and I'm working on tracking it down now. Most likely a common ground issue. I bet your alternator has that diode issue that Ford alternators have.

2007 GT Convertible Build Thread
Vortech V3 trim, FRPP Intake manifold, MAC LT's, Prochamber, Ford Racing 3:73 gears, FRPP springs, Hurst Billet shifter, FRPP 62mm Throttle body, tuned by True Street Motorsports. 523 rwhp 440 lbft torque
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #15
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.

2000 GT
14.043@99.03

(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of(Kohrs93) has much to be proud of

A bad battery can still produce 12v and not be able to start a car. The CCA (cold cranking amps) are what determine the starting power of a battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

BONER CREW EMPLOYEE #3 - RECEIVING DEPARTMENT

[CUMYUM!]
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
i like pee pees i guess too
Originally Posted by TCStang View Post
Well my ass ain't going to fill it self motherfucker.
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #16
The Despised Vert

2006 Satin Silver GT
11.08@125.22

me and Tax have the exact # of posts... what are the odds???? well this ruined it...lol

Old January 9th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #17
Eat Springs, Shit Valves

2008 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by (Kohrs93) View Post
A bad battery can still produce 12v and not be able to start a car. The CCA (cold cranking amps) are what determine the starting power of a battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I'd venture to say it was voltage since I had left my interior lights on for a few hours each time lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.