Could someone please tell me what this is??!
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

scooter_81 is on a distinguished road

Could someone please tell me what this is??!

Hello all. So I've only had the car 3 weeks now and am still making my way into it. First off my mods are BBK twin 62mm TB, FRPP hot rod cams, SLP loud mouth exhaust with high flow catted x pipe, BAMA tuner. Steeda CAI. Now the problem; started my car the other morning and it died because it acted like it had a vaccum leak because it idled way down after first start. Took me forever to get it started back. Actually had to hold the accelerator half way open and it finally spitted and sputtered back to life. I was looking for any sign of a vaccum leak and found this and wasn't sure what it was. I'm guessing who ever had the car before maybe had a fuel regulator on it. If u know what it is please tell me what it is and if it could be contributing to my problem.And the car is also throwing a system too rich code.Thank u.
Attached Thumbnails
Could someone please tell me what this is??!-image.jpg  
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #2
cammed, geared, and blown

2006 Mustang GT

BlueDevil is a jewel in the roughBlueDevil is a jewel in the roughBlueDevil is a jewel in the roughBlueDevil is a jewel in the rough

Maybe a throttle body issue? Mine threw a couple codes when I changed my throttle body...I had to replace the GT500 electronics with my stock ones to fix the issue. Use your programmer so you can read the trouble code (is it even throwing a check engine light?)
These cars don't use a return style fuel system, so no "regulator" like the old 5.0s. Maybe replace the fuel filter.

| KB 2.6L | MGW | 4.10 | UMI | CHE | Steeda | Eibach | SCT | VMP | Pypes | EBC | Stop Tech | Prothane | Comp SPR | Shelby |
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

It's throwing a check engine light. It reads system too rich. Do u have any idea what that might be in the picture?
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4

2006 Mustang GT

BlueDevil is a jewel in the roughBlueDevil is a jewel in the roughBlueDevil is a jewel in the roughBlueDevil is a jewel in the rough

Nope! Maybe a rigged up sending unit for a fuel pressure gauge, or part of a nitrous system? Looks like a nitrous solenoid. You wouldn't need (external) fuel system mods for cams/tb...

Did you have Bama tune the car or was it tuned when you got it? I'd call Bama and tell them what code you are throwing.

| KB 2.6L | MGW | 4.10 | UMI | CHE | Steeda | Eibach | SCT | VMP | Pypes | EBC | Stop Tech | Prothane | Comp SPR | Shelby |

Last edited by BlueDevil; February 6th, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

It was tuned when I got the car. I need to call bama but work nights. I need to be Zzzzzz right now lol!
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Regular

2006 gt conv.
12.72@ 111.61

Badd GT has a little shameless behaviour in the past

did you check the voltage at your throttle position sensor before you installed the bbk 62mm and copy that reading to the bbk
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com

AMShaneLesky will become famous soon enough

I have a feeling Badd_GT is onto the right solution. Most likely the TB needs to be adjusted or cleaned. If the throttle blade is not sync'd properly with the pedal, you'll either end up in limp mod or experience stalling/idle symptoms.

I would start by taking the TB off and cleaning it on both sides, this will get the easy stuff out of the equation. Then we can go from there if the issues continue!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Regular

tdb4roncs is on a distinguished road

day after I had my car tuned had this same issue, not sure if its related to that or not but took it back to the dyno shop and they fixed it, havnt had an issue since then
Mac LT's
Mac o/r prochamber
Pypes pypebomb
Old February 6th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

alright fellas ill try that and see what happens. All the mods were all ready on the car when i bought it.Dont know what kind of past its really had? Still no ideas on what is tee'd in to my fuel rail? I think blue devil is right, maybe somebody had a fuel pressure guage on it at one time and just left the solenoid on it?? Thanks again ill try to clean the TB and let yall know what happens.
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by Badd GT View Post
did you check the voltage at your throttle position sensor before you installed the bbk 62mm and copy that reading to the bbk
So I'm guessing since its drive by wire. The voltage is what tells the butterfly what position to b in correct? Don't know a lot about DBW.
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

Next question is how do you match the voltage to your TB? Does the tuner have to do that?
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #12

2006 Mustang GT

Here ya go! Do you have a multi meter? You may have to know the original voltage off the stock tb, though... still have it? Then again, the guts to your original tb are probably what's inside the BBK unit.
For what it's worth, my stock was 1.2, and when I transferred it to the GT500 it was 1.21 so I called it good enough.

Old February 6th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #13
new guy

2008 Mustang GT Premium

mayo is on a distinguished road

Set your tb voltage at 1.25v and you will be fine.
It just has to be in a certain range to operate properly.
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #14
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

Thanks blue devil for that very helpful video. Mayo ill try the 1.25 setting. Hopefully this will take care of my problem. Thanks again!
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #15
Regular

2006 gt conv.
12.72@ 111.61

Badd GT has a little shameless behaviour in the past

don't exactly know the significance of the setting other than BBK says to do it.Thanks for putting up the video Blue Devil. My factory setting was 1.18 for what its worth and thats what I set mine to and have never had an issue.
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #16
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by Badd GT View Post
don't exactly know the significance of the setting other than BBK says to do it.Thanks for putting up the video Blue Devil. My factory setting was 1.18 for what its worth and thats what I set mine to and have never had an issue.
Thank you.
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

Morning folks. Checked my TPS sensor and its reading 1.25. Thats all i have time for today but i plan on setting the bbk TB to 1.25 in the morning. Thanks again and I will fill you in on the outcome.
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #18
AmericanMuscle.com

AMShaneLesky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scooter_81 View Post
Morning folks. Checked my TPS sensor and its reading 1.25. Thats all i have time for today but i plan on setting the bbk TB to 1.25 in the morning. Thanks again and I will fill you in on the outcome.
cooter_81,

At least that's one step of ruling an issue out. Let us know how the TB cleaning goes, too!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old February 7th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #19
Regular

2005 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
cooter_81,

At least that's one step of ruling an issue out. Let us know how the TB cleaning goes, too!

Shane
On the cleaning aspect I have some MAF cleaner. That should b safe for all the TB electronics right? And do I need to remove tps sensor and spring housing cap?
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #20

2006 Mustang GT

I just hold the butterflies open and use a rag to clean the housing openings and butterfly edges. You'll see the black residue. I use maf cleaner, but less is more. Some TBs have a clear coat that you don't want to destroy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.