EBC Redstuff vs Yellowstuff: Which one and Why?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Regular

2007 Mustang GT/CS

casadyr is on a distinguished road

Tell me your experiences with each one and which you recommend for spirited street use.

Black Convertible '07 GT/CS --> Built and sold
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2007 Mustang GT

07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on what you mean by spirited street driving.

The reds will have more initial cold bite and work well if brake temps stay below 1400*.

The yellows will not grab as good on initial braking but will stand up better under repeated and sustained hard braking. I think they're rated up to 1800*. I use red stuff pads on all my street vehicles and yellow stuff on my track bikes. Never used the yellow stuff pads on anything other than motorcycles for the track, but if I had an AutoX or road race car I would run the yellows on it as oppossed to the reds. Never Felt I needed more than the reds on the street.

I've used EBC products for decades and will stand by them as far as performance reputation.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Old February 16th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Regular

2007 Mustang GT/CS

Precisely the answer I needed, thanks Boss

Old February 16th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
At the Apex pulling 1.28g

2009 Mustang GT
1/4 mile what?

Whiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to Whiskey11

I don't think either pad is really suited to road course life, even with proper cooling. Maybe on a car weighing a lot less than us. I don't know. I've read about failures of the yellow stuff pads on these cars when tracked.

I'm a Carbotech person when it comes to pads. I have yet to hear of anyone complain about the XP10 front XP8 rear setup with proper cooling except maybe needing to bump the fronts to XP12s on fast courses like Road America where the long straights are followed by sharp and slow turns which places a lot of load on the pads.

When money allows I wouldn't mind using their bobcat pads for street driving and the autocross pads for autocrossing. I think they are more expensive than other brands but Carbotech pads are not as harsh on rotors as hawks. My buddy switched from hawk track pads on his Evo IX to Carbotech and loves them and his opinion matches with basically everyone else I have talked to about track pads.

10 August 2014 After Action Report:
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...oints-5-a.html
Old February 16th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Regular

2007 Mustang GT/CS

Whiskey, which variety do you use for Autocross and which do you use for street?

Carbotech Performance Brakes

Old February 16th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #6

2009 Mustang GT
1/4 mile what?

Whiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant futureWhiskey11 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by casadyr View Post
Whiskey, which variety do you use for Autocross and which do you use for street?

Carbotech Performance Brakes
Carbotech 1521 (Also called the Bobcat pads) are for the street, the AX6 is for autocross.

I personally am still on stock brakes but from what I've seen of folks who use Carbotech, they love them. For a street car, I'm willing to bet you could pick about any non-track only pad and be fine!

Old February 16th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Like A Boss

2008 Mustang GT

crackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to behold

What about Hawks? I'm personally asking about street use.
Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Originally Posted by narleycarley View Post
I coached his boy in basketball last season. Giggity giggity
Old February 17th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #8

2009 Mustang GT
1/4 mile what?

Originally Posted by crackpotfox View Post
What about Hawks? I'm personally asking about street use.
Lots of guys love them. Traditionally Hawk pads are a bit harder on rotors than other pads but the tradeoff is longer pad life.

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #9
More Is Better.

2006 Roush Stage 1 Blown
12.4@117

DiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to DiMora

I run Stop-Tech street pads. They can be light-to-medium tracked too. They make a ton of dust, but they can handle high temps and don't need much heat to be effective )cold initial bite is good). With good fluid and SS lines, they are a big win.

I ran Axxis Ultimate pads before th Stop-Techs...I like the Stop-Techs better. Hawks have a good reputation, but the street pads are not as good as the Stop-Techs (on the street) as they can't handle as much heat, and the racing pads eat rotors at street temperatures.

Mustangs are heavy, so the only EBC I would even consider would be the BlueStuff.

I run EBC HH race pads on my Motorcycle.

My Website
Roush TVS Supercharger / T56 Magnum XL 6 speed
Steeda suspension /Big Brakes / BMR K Member
Mac L/T's / Prochamber / Roush Extremes
"Daily Driver" RWHP: 492@9 PSI w/ LT's
"Dyno Queen": 512@12 PSI-stock exhaust
Mods in Garage
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Like A Boss

2008 Mustang GT

crackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to beholdcrackpotfox is a splendid one to behold

How does a ss line change how the car brakes? how much better, the feel, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #11

2009 Mustang GT
1/4 mile what?

It's mostly just feel. The biggest reason you see track guys switch to SS lines is because they prevent the ballooning of the rubber lines seen in OEM set ups. As the rubber lines get warm they tend to become more flexible and can balloon. Once they balloon the line is ruined. SS lines resist that by wrapping the entire line in a SS weave which keeps the inner line from ballooning.

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #12
More Is Better.

2006 Roush Stage 1 Blown
12.4@117

DiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud ofDiMora has much to be proud of

Better initial bite and linear control as you press the pedal harder or relax it. Decreases "pedal squishiness" (which is really just stock lines flexxing a bit).

SS lines are a nice upgrade on ANY vehicle, and I have noticed better brake "feel" as described above on EVERY vehicle I've ever put them on - from a daily drive Accord to a 170 RWHP racing motorcycle.

My Website
Mods in Garage
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #13
Like A Boss

2008 Mustang GT

So, would a ss line reduce the... I guess the word would be throw.. Would it reduce the throw in the brake feel, like you have to push it down x amount to have the pedal firm up.

Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #14
Enthusiast

06 Mustang GT
12.837 @ 107.7

Darwin will become famous soon enoughDarwin will become famous soon enough

Being still on stock this is a good thread. Please keep asking and responding.

I only focus on my breaks at the track where I put them through harsh treatment. Hitting them after crossing the line has got to get them hotter than the intended design.
I drive to and from the track and drive the car as my daily driver during the better months and have wondered what would be the best to replace the stockers under these combined conditions when the time comes to replace them.
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #15

2009 Mustang GT
1/4 mile what?

So, would a ss line reduce the... I guess the word would be throw.. Would it reduce the throw in the brake feel, like you have to push it down x amount to have the pedal firm up.

My understanding is that a SS line will increase the feel by reducing line flex but I don't think it will have any noticeable effect on the pedal travel. If your pedal is feeling squishy it is possible that you need to do a brake flush. DOT3 fluid in the braking system, even sealed, has a limited life. All brake fluids attract water and the more water you get in the brake fluid, the lower and lower the boiling point of the brake fluid is and the more likely the water in the brake fluid is to boil and create air in the lines. You might be able to get by with just a bleed, but if you have never changed the brake fluid, it is probably a good time to do so.

Otherwise, the floating calipers on the S197 are almost always guaranteed to have pretty crappy feel and throw. The whole way the caliper works is the reason for that. You can upgrade to the Brembos if you have wheels that will clear them, which will have much better feel, but I'm not sure the pedal will firm up all that much.

Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Being still on stock this is a good thread. Please keep asking and responding.

I only focus on my breaks at the track where I put them through harsh treatment. Hitting them after crossing the line has got to get them hotter than the intended design.
I drive to and from the track and drive the car as my daily driver during the better months and have wondered what would be the best to replace the stockers under these combined conditions when the time comes to replace them.
I'm assuming you are talking about braking at the end of a 1/4 mile run? I honestly wouldn't worry about the stock stuff not holding up in that condition. Unless you are hot lapping A LOT you aren't putting that much stress into the braking system. I believe Ford's standard is something like 4-5 60-0 panic stops before noticeable fade while performing those panic stops in quick succession. You probably spend more time between runs in the staging lanes then they do between the panic stops. There is a standard out there that they have to meet at a minimum. Anything else, like on the Brembo stangs, is just a bonus.

You could literally get by with pretty much any street pad you want. When we start talking about high temperatures generated under braking, we are talking about running on a road course where you have 7-14 turns with straights before them that you have to drag 3700ish lbs with driver and fuel down to a specific speed before making the turn or you end up with an agricultural excursion.

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Like A Boss

2008 Mustang GT

^Thanks for the help.
Carolina Crew #54
Always Clean Crew
Old February 18th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #17
More Is Better.

2006 Roush Stage 1 Blown
12.4@117

Yes, SS lines will reduce throw due to less line flex. It will be minimal. I will tell you again that I definitely feel a difference every time I add SS lines to a vehicle.

My Website
Mods in Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.