5R55S Trans Pan & Dipstick Kit
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 14th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Back For More

05 Mustang GT
11.62 @ 115.42

swflstang05 is on a distinguished road

5R55S Trans Pan & Dipstick Kit

The front seal is leaking on my trans so I figured while its out I might as well install an aftermarket alum pan and dipstick tube kit. I have my eye on the PA kit that Summit sells for $356. Anyone using this kit now? Pros / Cons? It's supposed to hold 4 extra quarts of fluid which is good of course but also looks like it might hang down a lot lower than stock, has anyone had issues with that? My car is not lowered but I'm not so sure that having the trans pan be the lowest part hanging down is a very good idea. If nothing else they also have a Trick Flow kit that only increases the fluid by 2 quarts and therefore shouldn't be as deep.

05 Mustang GT Premium - New Build In Progress

91 Mustang GT 9.86 @ 134mph - SOLD!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2007 Mustang GT

07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute

It hangs down pretty low. I was lowered then and took the pic at an angle but you can see I already had some raspberries on my headers. With the trans pan just a bit lower than that I did smack it a few times. No big deal though, the cooling fins got a little scuffed on the leading edge. You shouldn't worry about the integrety of the actual pan unless you pretty much rip it off the trans. The car is back to stock ride height and the pan is sitting on the shelf after my tranny swap. I was going to put it back in but I threw out the filter. Which, by the way, I would suggest getting a new longer filter to reach down into the bottom of your now deeper pan. Even though in theory the stock filter should be OK because your fluid level should be where it was in the relationship of the pick up, I just figured that there would be more sloshing around with the bigger pan and wanted to make sure my pick up was located as deep so as to not risk starving the pump of any fluid. And the actual dipstick is kinda vague on where you should be looking to see if it is full. I just made a mental note of where it was when I filled the trans and made sure it was around that mark when I checked it. I did have to reseal the dipstick tube connection at the pan but that was more an installation issue than a manufacturer issue. I had the dipstick come up by my battery.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Old July 15th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Back For More

05 Mustang GT
11.62 @ 115.42

swflstang05 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Boss, I thought you had that kit.

05 Mustang GT Premium - New Build In Progress

91 Mustang GT 9.86 @ 134mph - SOLD!
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Open Hood-Insert Money...

2006 Mustang GT
10.22@135

Fabman is on a distinguished road

I had that same setup. hangs down way too low. Hits every speed bump and broke several trans mounts which on two occasions made the car un drivable due to the driveshaft and shift linkage jammed up against the floor. My advice is don't do it....but hey, if you really want one, I'll sell you my old setup CHEAP!

Cammed, Slammed, Stroked and Blown

670rwhp/621rwtq
10.22@135

JDM 302E Stroker w/Stage 3 Heads & Cams, Kenne Bell@20psi, FRPP T/B, ARH Long Tubes w/X pipe, 3" Magnaflows,
TCI Streetfighter trans and shifter, PI converter, 4:10's and Tru-Track
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #5
Enthusiast

06 Mustang GT
12.837 @ 107.7

Darwin will become famous soon enoughDarwin will become famous soon enough

I have the same set up PA27455KT and since I am at factory height and have never seen a speed bump where I drive so I am not worried. I don't recommend it if you are lowered or plan to lower. Every shop I have been to comment how low it is. I also recommend the longer filter set up.

5R55S / 5R55W Transmission Filter - 2.125" PIck-Up
or
Filter : Automatic, Standard Transmission and Transfer Case Rebuild Kits, Cobra Transmission Parts 1-800-293-1848, Cobra Transmission

Call them for the application of the deep pan you choose.

I glued the magnet to the bottom of the pan about where stock was as that is where you have the most flow coverage, I let it cure 2 days before I did the install.

The extended filter should be added to the pan package from the vendor and I don't see why it is not unless the vendor could not get a good enough deal.

Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.