Biggest tires for stock 18" 07 GT mustang
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #1

crazy horse is on a distinguished road

Biggest tires for stock 18" 07 GT mustang

I searched but did not find.
I have a stock 07 GT mustang with 18" stock wheels.

What is the biggest tires ( both high & wide) that I can run with out rubbing?

Any one have any suggestions?
Where / what to buy?

Thank you for all information.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

2005 Mustang GT

fullmetal7777 will become famous soon enoughfullmetal7777 will become famous soon enough

I'm kinda interested about this to, wanna get some 18's soon and big tired are sexy
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2007 Mustang GT

07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a tire that fits the stock rims you will never have a rubbing issue. I think 235/50's come on the stock 18's. I wouldn't go wider than 255 if you are getting a 40, 45 or 50 series profile. I wouldn't do 255's with a side wall shorter than that.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Insomniac

2006, Ford Mustang GT
12.42@113.00

BIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to allBIGCHRISS197 is a name known to all

I've squeezed a 275 on my stock wheels with zero issues, height wise I'm about to go with a 29" tire but there's still room to play, I reference this chart for side profile to inch conversions
Tire Height Chart
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
I <3 Car Crashes

05 GT premium

YoungBlood will become famous soon enoughYoungBlood will become famous soon enough

does the width go the same for 17 wheels? I can squeeze a 275 on? Cuz I have my stock wheels and I want some drag radials but I don't wanna DD on them, I just want them for track days

Selling and parting out my Mustang for another Jeep WJ!
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #6

2007 Mustang GT

07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute07 Boss has a reputation beyond repute

You guys all need to know why going too big is not going to give you any more performance and actually prevents the tire from performing the way it should. Too big of a tire can adversely effect tire wear and performance. Sure lots of people do it and are unaware of the of the issues because they either just are not that good of a driver (meaning really in tune with their car) or don't push it to a point where the effects are evident. But if you take the same size tire and put it on a proper size rim you will have a car that accelerates, corners, and stops better. Please read post #30 in this thread. I just don't want to type it all out and this guy pretty much nails it on the head.

315 Nitto NT05R's mounted on stock 9" wheels *pics inside* - Page 2 - SVTPerformance

I would like to think that us MMers are smarter than the rest of the folks out there. If you wanna run a big tire, please by a big rim. We make fun of the import guys when they do stupid shit. This falls right into that same boat. It looks stupid and is stupid if you think you're gonna get better performance by going too big. I think we might even refer to it being rice. Do it right please.

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
Old September 5th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

Na306Fox will become famous soon enough

I got 285/40/18's on the back of my '06

Sent from my EVO
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #8

2007 Mustang GT

And I have 305/45/18's on the back of my 07.

Old September 5th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #9
I <3 Car Crashes

05 GT premium

YoungBlood will become famous soon enoughYoungBlood will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
You guys all need to know why going too big is not going to give you any more performance and actually prevents the tire from performing the way it should. Too big of a tire can adversely effect tire wear and performance. Sure lots of people do it and are unaware of the of the issues because they either just are not that good of a driver (meaning really in tune with their car) or don't push it to a point where the effects are evident. But if you take the same size tire and put it on a proper size rim you will have a car that accelerates, corners, and stops better. Please read post #30 in this thread. I just don't want to type it all out and this guy pretty much nails it on the head.

315 Nitto NT05R's mounted on stock 9" wheels *pics inside* - Page 2 - SVTPerformance

I would like to think that us MMers are smarter than the rest of the folks out there. If you wanna run a big tire, please by a big rim. We make fun of the import guys when they do stupid shit. This falls right into that same boat. It looks stupid and is stupid if you think you're gonna get better performance by going too big. I think we might even refer to it being rice. Do it right please.
So if I wanted the widest DR i could fit on a stock 17 rim what would that be? it would be a track only setup.

Old September 5th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #10
Regular

2006 Mustang GT Convert

mamonti will become famous soon enough

I know they made a 18"X8" and a 18"X8.5" wheel so check to see which you have,,, also if you go to Tirerack site you can check each tires manufactures spec's on each tire.. This puzzled me as I thought (lets say) a 255x45x18 tire no matter who makes it is the same! But under the spec's of the tire you will see recommended wheel width. some may say 8" to 9" and others will be smaller???? so as an example (Just to say) a goodyear 245X50X18 has a recommended rim of 8 to 8.5" but a firestone 265X45X18 will have a recommended 8" to 9" rim!!!! I am not sure why???? but in reality,,I want to go with continentals ,, the biggest tire I can get in a continental is 255X45X18 but I could get a 265 or bigger from other companies!!!
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #11
I <3 Car Crashes

05 GT premium

I fit 12.5 tires on 8-9 rims all day on Jeeps that was to keep the wheel tucked in though

Old September 5th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #12

2007 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by mamonti View Post
I know they made a 18"X8" and a 18"X8.5" wheel so check to see which you have,,, also if you go to Tirerack site you can check each tires manufactures spec's on each tire.. This puzzled me as I thought (lets say) a 255x45x18 tire no matter who makes it is the same! Buy under the spec's of the tire you will see recommended wheel width. some may say 8" to 9" and others will be smaller???? so as an example (Just to say) a goodyear 245X50X18 has a recommended rim of 8 to 8.5" but a firestone 265X45X18 will have a recommended 8" to 9" rim!!!! I am not sure why???? but in reality,,I want to go with continentals ,, the biggest tire I can get in a continental is 255X45X18 but I could get a 265 or bigger from other companies!!!
There are some variances from one company to the other as far as what they call a 255 or whatever tire size you look at. There are also different types of tire construction. Some tires are supposed to have a bulge in them and some have very stiff flat side walls. The slicks I am looking at are measured across the widest section of the side wall bulge, not the tread. So even within the same company, two different tires might have two different recommended rim widths. Every tire maker has a rim/wheel size chart. The will usually have the ideal size and then an acceptable range listed. When looking for tires I often have looked backwards, looking at suggested rim size and then looking to see what size tire it is.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
So if I wanted the widest DR i could fit on a stock 17 rim what would that be? it would be a track only setup.
How wide is a stock 17"?

Old September 5th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Regular

2006 Mustang GT Convert

mamonti will become famous soon enough

So I guess it is best to check out the tire manufactures recommendations on the size you want. I am wondering about this also,,,,, So if I want to get a continental tire and I really want to go with 265 or 275 then I will have to buy new rims to have the proper setup. I will see what I can afford to do next spring when I get it out of storage since I want to go with koni's, springs and tires. So may be I will try a set of the 255's and save the cost of going with rims and if I decide I want something bigger the next set I will get a set of rims! Then of course comes the next problem.... if I go with rims, what tire will fit without rubbing and what if I want to go with bigger brakes,,,, will the rims fit??? I like buying once so if I go to bigger rims I will go to the size that will fit the tires I want and the brakes I decide on!! Damn Modding !!!!
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #14

2007 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by YoungBlood View Post
I fit 12.5 tires on 8-9 rims all day on Jeeps that was to keep the wheel tucked in though

And with an 8" side wall.

And you will also notice than rim size can change for the same style and width tire because the aspect ratio or side wall height is different. It's not so much bulge but the angle of the side wall from the rim to the edge of the tread.

Old September 5th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #15
Enthusiast

2007 Mustang GT

kraigster will become famous soon enough

I was on discounttiredirect.com put in all the info for a 2007 Mustang GT with 18" wheels, they have optional sizes and it looks like the largest 18" is a 275/45R18. Like Boss said, bigger is not always better. Maybe other members with this size can chime in with their experiences.

Last edited by kraigster; September 5th, 2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #16
gtscrewd

2008 GT

faym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud offaym 08 has much to be proud of

I used to run a 265 mt et street on my factory wheel fit great.

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #17

2007 Ford Panty Dropper

kmac1622 is just really nicekmac1622 is just really nicekmac1622 is just really nicekmac1622 is just really nice

I run a 305 on 10.5 in rims and they worlds better than my 285s granted that was on crappy Goodyears, but that thread that Boss posted he link to, WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE DO THAT! I could see for drag racing, all that sidewall would be nice but why not get the correct rim and tire for your application. Make me happy I spent the extra money because I never thought I was going to need bigger than a 285 on my car.
Saleen SuperCharged, C500 Side Exhaust, Cervinis Ram Air IV Hood, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Chrome GT500 Replica Rims, GT500 Front Splitter ModBMR 1.25 Lowering Springs, ADJ Panhard Bar, CHE Torque Limiters and K Member Brace
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:25 AM   #18
booooost'd

2014 5.0 Brembo M6
1/4 Mile? Cones Baby!

Jucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to beholdJucostud is a splendid one to behold

For non drag radial tires, max for stock 18x8.5's is 265 width. I'd only recommend 255/45/18 though.

1988 LX Hatch 5.0 - SOLD!
2007 Vortech GT - SOLD!
2009 Procharged GT - SOLD!
2014 Oxford White 5.0 Brembo M6
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #19
Regular

2006 Mustang GT

Rankus06 will become famous soon enough

When you guy's say 10" wheel I assume they are only on the back? When it comes time to buy wheels is 9" the way to go if one does not want to be staggered?
C&L Racer CAI with Bama 93 tune, Kooks headers with catted H & Borla Touring, FRPP 3:73s, Steeda UDP, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, CHE UCA, MGW shifter, Brisk plugs, UPR oil separator
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #20
Regular

2006 Mustang GT

ncstang06 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rankus06 View Post
When you guy's say 10" wheel I assume they are only on the back? When it comes time to buy wheels is 9" the way to go if one does not want to be staggered?
With the right offset you can easily fit 10s up front, I think you can even fit 10.5s but you might need a spacer
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.