Modded Mustang Forums banner

best year for 05-09 gt

5K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  patriotu 
#1 ·
hello,
i want to go for a 05-09 gt coupe and upgrade. Is there any " best year " ? Or any important differences between ?
Thank you !

#2 ·
2007's are the fastest!!!

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
Also if you listen to your Ipod a lot the 07s were the first year for an Aux port.

#9 ·
I have an '05 and it's been great, no problems even after all the molestation. You would figure the '09 would be the best after the engineers hash out all the quirks.

#11 ·
The only thing I dislike about the '09 is that the intake manifold has the CMCVs built into it, so for me to do a CMDP mod I would need an 05-07 IM and plates to mod, or buy the Steeda plugs (which have mixed reviews). Other than that, I really think Ford ended that style nicely in '09. I typically am a SHAVE ALL THE THINGS type of guy, but I love the 45th Anniv. emblems.

#18 ·
Steeda makes CMD plugs for the 09's same mod but only cost's $70 instead of close to $300
CMD Plugs

#29 ·
Lol but cold air intakes are so technical!
My 07 came with 3,55's as well. Also much like you, 4.10's are in there now :)

3.55's with stock OD tires will get you to 108mph @ 6250 and 112mph @ 6500. If the car is relatively stock, or with some bolt ons aren't trapping 112mph so it will not be bouncing off a 6500rpm rev limiter in 3rd, and 6500 is perfectly safe. Now with 4.10's the shift the 4th is required lol.
My 05 came with 3.55's. I have My Color gauges. No seat airbags in the 05's though. Which shaves weigh so I'm faster ;)

Look for low miles and a good price with the options you want. I looked at an 07 base model with 67k miles, for $16k. Went and picked up my 05 Premium that is loaded, with aftermarket wheels n tires, and the stock wheels and tires (brand new which was awesome) with 31Kmiles for 14k later that day. I will take the 2-4 year older car with half the milage, more options, etc that was totally babied any day of the week over the newer year. You do get a better resale value with the newer year, but with the low milage on mine I don't give a faurk, my resale is still titties compared to what I paid for it. I got it for below low book value. :thumb:

#21 ·
yes. Had 2 stangs. But both v6. A coupe and a conv. Now i need some muscle and before buy one i like to hear what you guys think. Owners always had best opinions !!

---------- Post added at 03:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

The diffrences between 05 and 10 are minor.

06 has Mycolor, I have it on mine.

the CMCVs on the 09+ are biult into the mani, big woop IMO there are work arounds.

I think in 08+ the GT premiums started to get more luxuries like ass heaters and content theft protection ect. but in the face of the big picture big woop IMO. you can buy an ass heater system if you really want it and if an AUX input is a nessecity you can install one or just change the whole head unit like many people do.

bottom line, just find a good 05-10 with a good value to price ratio.

even with the bullitt stangs, if you plan to mod you will be messing with the intake, tune, and axle backs anyways. so only buy a bullitt stang if you actually want a bullitt stang, not for the performace advantage over a GT.

as far as the california special that is almost all cosmetic. get it if you want it, but its not going to be any faster or mod any different then the rest of the genere
I like the bullit very much !! The look of it its just pure muscle, and the history of the car its something the makes you want it !! And i ve read they did some good improves with that car...BUT i like to mod, so there is no reason to buy a bullit and start put things on it !! Just my opinion.

#14 ·
The diffrences between 05 and 10 are minor.

06 has Mycolor, I have it on mine.

the CMCVs on the 09+ are biult into the mani, big woop IMO there are work arounds.

I think in 08+ the GT premiums started to get more luxuries like ass heaters and content theft protection ect. but in the face of the big picture big woop IMO. you can buy an ass heater system if you really want it and if an AUX input is a nessecity you can install one or just change the whole head unit like many people do.

bottom line, just find a good 05-10 with a good value to price ratio.

even with the bullitt stangs, if you plan to mod you will be messing with the intake, tune, and axle backs anyways. so only buy a bullitt stang if you actually want a bullitt stang, not for the performace advantage over a GT.

as far as the california special that is almost all cosmetic. get it if you want it, but its not going to be any faster or mod any different then the rest of the genere

#16 ·
go for 07 and up they have Ipod aux cable hook up already installed.

oh and 05's also have my color.

#22 ·
there may be some partial truth in there, my 06 came with 3.55. I got mine used though.

I also remeber when they first came out being advertised as having 3.55s.

but once again, if you plan to mod the thing, does it really matter? the car needs 3.73 at least and 4.10 is practically mandatory if you are going to drag race it.

also, if you get one with 3.31 instead of 3.55 and drag race you might not be shifting 4th right on top of the finish line. 3.55 will have you bouncing of the rev limiter in 3rd right over the finish line and you have to decide whether to short shift 4th or bounce. with a bolt on car thats where you will be on 3.55

#30 ·
Loving the 06, Spark plugs are not an issue if you changed them already and most have been changed. I know a guy modding the 05 who runs 11.5 NA and shows the car at local events so modding and beatings the motors can handle quite a bit NA. The 09 with the tune and a Ford Racing Manifold (no deletes needed) and a CAI with 4:10 gears will make a nice buy and mod.

Good Luck.

#31 · (Edited)
I have delete plugs with no issues, $60 on black Friday a couple years ago. 05-09 one is four years newer... Lol, I like the 45th anniversary badges. I say find a stang in good shape with low miles and go for it, what's your budget? A couple really nice modded stangs for sale on s197 forum right now. I love my 09 but my previous stang was a 96gt, night and day difference... Lol

Edit for badass badges...

#35 ·
Around 18k. i will keep another few grands for moods.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

a friend of mine told me about his 2013 coyote. Strong, fast engine. But the sound of it i have to admit i dislike. And the look of the car also its something that i cant get use to it. Otherwise its a nice car. My budget can be extended for a 2013 coyote but... nothing to mod after buying it !!
What you guys think about new coyotes ? especially those who already drove one.
BUY A LOW MILES S197 AND MOD IT THE WAY I WANT VS 2013 BASE COYOTE AND NO MOD ? :)
Thank you guys !!!

#32 ·
Another cost saver is 05-06 do not have tpms so that saves cash if you wanna change rims down the road and not want to deal with the light.

#33 ·
I think gears is for a whole other conversation, but either way, like I said the car needs 3.73 at least and 4.10 is basically mandatory for drag racing. though I have gotten my 3.73's down to a 1.60 60' on spray + DRs and got my 274/40r18 nitto 555s (non DR)down to a high 1.7 with room to adjust last time at the track.

some will say otherwise but don't go 4.30 unless you have a high RPM build. I have seen a few guys do the 4.30 + 28's setup on a bolt on or bolt on + cam car and not be able to beat stock numbers. either that or run high 12 which is what I do with bolt ons and street tire.

as far as problems the only problems I have had with the car are problems I made for myself modding it. if I had stuck to basic mods the car would of never had a single problem. However that being said if you plan to do the plugs you need to get a plug extractor kit and have it at the ready. Also look up the TSP for the procedure to lessen the chance of seizing one.

#36 ·
that coyote will destroy the slightly modded 3v, unless you go FI it will out run you even with all bolt ons if the race goes long enough. in the 1/4 you can mod to beat it, but our cars will get destroyed on a highway run or a roll unless you go FI. i love my 3v, and i will not be trading it in any time soon, but i will be picking up a 13 once they drop in price when the 15's roll out. ive been driven around in a 13 and that sucker moves! in stock (him, not me) form i was able to beat my buddy to about 80, by a decent amount and then it pulls me in. in the 1/4 we are neck and neck, but shortly after that i am shifting into 5th and then all i see is tail lights :(. now that he has little mods, he gets me everywhere :(. this is with all of the common bolt ons in my sig. with LT's and cams i am sure i will still get pulled top end.

#37 ·
If you can swing the coyote, GET IT. They are much better than 3v's.

#40 ·
I love my 09 to death, but if I had been able to afford a Coyote when I bought it it would have been no contest. I love the exterior, dash, and sound of the 3V, but everything else on the 2011+ cars is the ****. Unless you have $10k to spend right off the bat on a 3V, I'd just go straight for the Coyote.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.