Modded Mustang Forums banner

fluids

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  patriotu 
#1 ·
Hello, i just bought a 2008 gt with 25000 miles on it, manual.
i want to change fluids and filters. I checked the manual and , here where i live in europe i dont have the brands..
I checked on Castrol and they recomand for my car Castrol GTX 5W-30, but in the car s manual says 5w-20. So...
can you please give some equivalents for oils and filters so i can find it here also ?
Thank you much !!!
dan

#2 ·
Follow the manual for product specs and schedule. Personally I do ALL fluids at 30K miles and oil every 3K-5K and coolant every year before summer. Not sure what the manual says because I don't have one but that is the way I've done it for 35 years.

#4 ·
Yeah, stick with manufactures recommendations om oil. I use 5w30 only because my engine builder recommended it for my new block.

#5 ·
Ford changed the oil spec for our cars and most if not all other gas models to 5w-30. I still run 5w-20 myself but I guess there is a big enough difference between the two viscosities that ford thought the 30 was superior.

As for the other fluids I wouldnt worry about the brands you buy, its not going to make a difference especially if your car isnt going to be tracked.

#8 ·
Any Ford stealership spare parts shop should have Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend oil and an oil filter in stock so you can buy them from there. Castrol GTX 5W-30 will also do fine. Oil filters are in a standard metric size so the same filter probably fits onto several other vehicles.
As for oil change intervals, I'd suggest 5000km (3000 miles) if your driving is mainly short distance on a cold engine but if you mostly drive longer distances on the highway, you could extend the interval to 8000km (5000 miles).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.