Rebuild ideas - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old January 4th, 2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 431
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Rebuild ideas

So I've decided to just pull my motor and have it rebuilt. I found a shop here in Fresno that if I bring them my engine, they will do everything for 2,000. I had mentioned to the owner that I've thought about upgrading parts and he said whatever I want upgraded, he will put in for me.

Question 1. Is 2,000 acceptable for machining, new crank pistons, rods, gaskets and whatever else is needed?

Question 2. If I decide to upgrade, what should be upgraded? Long term goal for the car would be no more than 550 rwhp and that wouldn't be until I could get around to a supercharger in the not-so-near future.

I still haven't pulled the motor. I'm going to buy an engine hoist and hopefully do it this weekend. We've been having some awful weather so I haven't been able to do much the past couple of weeks.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Brandon08GT is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old January 5th, 2017, 11:33 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 13,461
                     
iTrader: 4 reviews
The 2000 is just for labor I'm assuming. I don't think it is unreasonable depending on the quality/rep of the shop. Any dyno testing/break in with that? Tuning?


Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
07 Boss is online now  
post #3 of 14 Old January 5th, 2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 431
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
The 2000 is just for labor I'm assuming. I don't think it is unreasonable depending on the quality/rep of the shop. Any dyno testing/break in with that? Tuning?

The 2,000 was labor and parts if I wanted a full stock rebuild. He said he has a tuner that will handle that aspect. But that's me bringing him the motor, then pick it up after. I would remove and install into the car. If I just brought him my car, he said around 3,500. There really aren't any good shops that I've been able to find in Fresno. This guy at least is a certified jaguar and Land Rover mechanic, and pictures of his shop show full tear downs on lamborghinis and skylines. Those aren't easy to work on, so he must be doing something right.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Brandon08GT is online now  
 
post #4 of 14 Old January 5th, 2017, 05:37 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 13,461
                     
iTrader: 4 reviews
Well you were talking about wanting to eventually running 550 rwhp. You're not going to do that with a stock rebuild.

Forged pistons and rods will cost about 1200-$1300. Rings and fasteners probably a few more hundred. If you want a forged crank that's another $750. So your at $2000+ in parts without touching the top end.

If you're going to do just a stock rebuild I think that's a great price including parts. But you are never going to be able to run the power you want. Just saying.


Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
07 Boss is online now  
post #5 of 14 Old January 5th, 2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 431
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Well you were talking about wanting to eventually running 550 rwhp. You're not going to do that with a stock rebuild.

Forged pistons and rods will cost about 1200-$1300. Rings and fasteners probably a few more hundred. If you want a forged crank that's another $750. So your at $2000+ in parts without touching the top end.

If you're going to do just a stock rebuild I think that's a great price including parts. But you are never going to be able to run the power you want. Just saying.

Yeah that's kind of what I'm debating right now. I've been looking at parts all day and I think I'm going to talk to him about just doing the forged rods and pistons for now. I'm gonna try to stop in and meet him face to face tomorrow morning. If he's getting parts already and that's including new pistons and rods, maybe it'll only been 500 or so more for upgraded parts.

Figure while the motor is out, I might as well do long tubes as well. There is no way I want to install those with the motor in. They are just so damn expensive. Which ones are you using?


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Brandon08GT is online now  
post #6 of 14 Old January 6th, 2017, 11:29 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 13,461
                     
iTrader: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon08GT View Post
Yeah that's kind of what I'm debating right now. I've been looking at parts all day and I think I'm going to talk to him about just doing the forged rods and pistons for now. I'm gonna try to stop in and meet him face to face tomorrow morning. If he's getting parts already and that's including new pistons and rods, maybe it'll only been 500 or so more for upgraded parts.

Figure while the motor is out, I might as well do long tubes as well. There is no way I want to install those with the motor in. They are just so damn expensive. Which ones are you using?


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To me , that is a smart compromise. The rods and pistons are the weak points. The stock crank can hold a ton of power and I haven't heard about many, if at all, failures of the stock crank. The only reason i would change it is if I wanted to stroke it for more cubes.

You can get headers in with the motor in. They're just a PIA. It will be a ton easier to do with the motor out or with an aftermarket K-member. I run Pacesetters but that might not suit you depending on what kind of weather you drive in. They are way inexpensive but are not made of stainless. I don't have to worry about rust so it is a non-issue for me.


Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
07 Boss is online now  
post #7 of 14 Old January 6th, 2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 431
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
To me , that is a smart compromise. The rods and pistons are the weak points. The stock crank can hold a ton of power and I haven't heard about many, if at all, failures of the stock crank. The only reason i would change it is if I wanted to stroke it for more cubes.



You can get headers in with the motor in. They're just a PIA. It will be a ton easier to do with the motor out or with an aftermarket K-member. I run Pacesetters but that might not suit you depending on what kind of weather you drive in. They are way inexpensive but are not made of stainless. I don't have to worry about rust so it is a non-issue for me.

I was actually researching to try to find anyone that had a crank fail and I couldn't find any. I think people who go for that much power just go away from the stock motor altogether.

I thought that's what you were running. I'm headed back home to Florida in a few months so rust is absolutely an issue for me though. Otherwise I would just go with what you have. Most of your setup is what I'm going for. Whipple superchargers is literally two minutes from my house. I wish they did service work and I could just bring my car to them.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Brandon08GT is online now  
post #8 of 14 Old January 6th, 2017, 02:54 PM
gtscrewd
 
faym 08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 5,201
Blog Entries: 1
                   
iTrader: 3 reviews
The headers on our cars are not as bad as people say. If cash is that tight wait on headers and put everything you have into the engine.

.

tuned by performance dyno 496 rwhp 432 rwtq
July 2013 rotm winner
faym 08 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old January 9th, 2017, 12:39 AM
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 380
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Mustang Performance Racing, Boynton Beach FL built my stroker.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr254/svtwin73/image_zpsc7776416.jpg
5.0 stroker, Roush 2300 w/3.2", 10% overcrank, Bullet-RGR spec cams, Kooks LT w/cats, FM axle back, TruTrac 3.73
Svtwin73 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old January 9th, 2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 431
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svtwin73 View Post
Mustang Performance Racing, Boynton Beach FL built my stroker.

If I was back home that'd be an option. I won't be until May though and only having a motorcycle when I work 50 miles from where I live is miserable. How much do you spend if you don't mind me asking?


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Brandon08GT is online now  
post #11 of 14 Old January 9th, 2017, 11:47 PM
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 380
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
$4k for a competition built forged 302 stroker with my 4.6 block.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr254/svtwin73/image_zpsc7776416.jpg
5.0 stroker, Roush 2300 w/3.2", 10% overcrank, Bullet-RGR spec cams, Kooks LT w/cats, FM axle back, TruTrac 3.73
Svtwin73 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old January 10th, 2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 431
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svtwin73 View Post
$4k for a competition built forged 302 stroker with my 4.6 block.

That's pretty much what I'm looking at right now for stock parts and labor alone.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Brandon08GT is online now  
post #13 of 14 Old January 10th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Posts: 726
 
Garage
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon08GT View Post
That's pretty much what I'm looking at right now for stock parts and labor alone.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
MPR has a pretty good reputation as well, if you can hold out that long. IDK if you have the option, but you may be able to get a used stock longblock, from a junkyard, on the cheap to hold you over if need be. If you are pulling the engine yourself anyways then it won't be to hard to drop a stock replacement in. Would also keep the car running and driving while your new engine is built.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

DD: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile (1.8 60') on 93 octane tune/CAI only. SAE corrected: 369.4/451.4 on E20, full Bolt On
Derfdog15 is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old January 10th, 2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 431
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
MPR has a pretty good reputation as well, if you can hold out that long. IDK if you have the option, but you may be able to get a used stock longblock, from a junkyard, on the cheap to hold you over if need be. If you are pulling the engine yourself anyways then it won't be to hard to drop a stock replacement in. Would also keep the car running and driving while your new engine is built.

I wish I had that option, but I don't. I only have a motorcycle to get me around and I also don't have any of my tools. All my stuff is back home in Florida. I'm gonna drop it off with a local shop tomorrow to have everything done.

Been looking at parts online and was wondering if anyone has any experience with mod max racing? They have decent prices for what I'm looking for, just haven't heard of anyone purchasing from them.



Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Brandon08GT is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome