windshield wipers won't turn off
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

2005 Turbonetics Baby!!!

ROUSH STAGE II is just really niceROUSH STAGE II is just really niceROUSH STAGE II is just really niceROUSH STAGE II is just really nice

windshield wipers won't turn off

Well I hate to admit it but I kinda' messed up. When I was installing some new guages I accidentally hit the windshield wiper switch while the hood was up. The wipers hit the hood and stopped. I lowered the hood, said a few explitives, and now they won't turn off. I've removed the fuse in the engine compartment just so I can drive the car, but I can't figure out why they won't stop in the off position. Any ideas???

Turbonetics baby!!!
11.23@122 mph...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #2
Skirt Chasing Philanderer

Kit Car/Ducati/Explorer
Nike Fast

1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute

what guages where you wiring up?
( this isnt off topic just trying to figure out what wires he was tapping onto... )

The wipers hitting the hood and stopping wont cause them not to turn off. It sounds like your have a wiring issue from something you did with the gauge install. Did you hit the lever on the column to turn them on or did you jump power to a wire for them to turn ( ending with them hitting the hood ). Did you mess with anything on the column that would misplace the gap the lever sits in causing it not to let it go all the way down? A little more info from your adventure would help...

BTW- this is a first in my book. I have had wipers not come on but never not go off...
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2005 Turbonetics Baby!!!

ROUSH STAGE II is just really niceROUSH STAGE II is just really niceROUSH STAGE II is just really niceROUSH STAGE II is just really nice

I was installing PLX IMFD sensor modules for wideband and boost/vac. I don't think they caused the problem, nor the location at which I tied them in (radio fuse behind passenger kick panel). I didn't have a problem until I turned the key on with the wiper lever in the on position, causing them to hit the hood. It doesn't make sense to me either...I thought they would have failed instead of not turning off. I looked to see if something could be in the way of the wiper lever preventing it from returning to it's off position but it all seems to be where it should be. I haven't been able to locate a relay for the wipers either, only 2 fuses. Hope this helps. Thanks, John G.

Turbonetics baby!!!
11.23@122 mph...
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #4

Kit Car/Ducati/Explorer
Nike Fast

1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute1RápidoZorro has a reputation beyond repute

Helps some... Its always possible that you nicked a wire wire cause a constant ground for the wipers( but very unlikely ). another question... Can you controll the speed of the wipers or do they just keep going at the same rate regardless of what position the lever is in?
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2005 Turbonetics Baby!!!

I can't change the rate of speed, delay, or anything. They appear to be stuck in the fastest position.

Turbonetics baby!!!
11.23@122 mph...
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #6

Kit Car/Ducati/Explorer
Nike Fast

I would be led to belive you have a short to ground somewhere... Anyone on here have access to any wiring schematics for the wiper motor? I dont know for sure where the wires run or what they also power so I wouldnt be able to give you a good starting point to look. Did you drill in the dash to mount the pod? This could be one of the freak of nature things where you blindly ( and unluckily ) drilled into a wire. Sorry I cant be of more help but this is about all I could come up with for you without seeing it in person...
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

2005 Turbonetics Baby!!!

I didn't drill for the install. I mounted it with an "L" bracket and some industrial strength silicone. It could be coincidental that I had the wipers in the on position and it hit the hood and they won't turn off, but it just seems unlikely that stopping them in mid stroke didn't cause the problem. Maybe I grounded a wire when I pulled the wires through the grommet by the clutch pedal. Idk? I'll check @ the grommet this evening. Thanks!

Turbonetics baby!!!
11.23@122 mph...
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #8
MM's resident Juice head

07 Mustang GT

07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold

I had the EXACT same thing happen on my 85 Chevette...believe it or not...it was a short in the wiper motor from turning them on trying to push the snow off my windshield. It did somthing internally to the motor...anyway I replaced the wiper motor in the end to fix it.

The MGW short throw shifter

Its not just a shifter...It's a lifestyle!
Old March 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

2005 Turbonetics Baby!!!

Originally Posted by 07 procharger View Post
I had the EXACT same thing happen on my 85 Chevette...believe it or not...it was a short in the wiper motor from turning them on trying to push the snow off my windshield. It did somthing internally to the motor...anyway I replaced the wiper motor in the end to fix it.
Thanks, I hope it's something else though...

Turbonetics baby!!!
11.23@122 mph...
Old March 24th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #10
MM's resident Juice head

07 Mustang GT

07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold

ya me too...your post gave me a wicked flash back LOL. I used to have to jump out of the car and literally grab the wiper to get it to stop...

Old March 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

2005 Turbonetics Baby!!!

Originally Posted by 07 procharger View Post
ya me too...your post gave me a wicked flash back LOL. I used to have to jump out of the car and literally grab the wiper to get it to stop...
HA HA!!! I just had a visual of that.

Turbonetics baby!!!
11.23@122 mph...
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #12
Enthusiast

mustangrebuilder will become famous soon enough

with the force of the wipers hitting the hood it most likely did something to the wiper motor..i would check that out.
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #13

J2L06GT is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ROUSH STAGE II View Post
Well I hate to admit it but I kinda' messed up. When I was installing some new guages I accidentally hit the windshield wiper switch while the hood was up. The wipers hit the hood and stopped. I lowered the hood, said a few explitives, and now they won't turn off. I've removed the fuse in the engine compartment just so I can drive the car, but I can't figure out why they won't stop in the off position. Any ideas???
Have you tried disconnecting battery to reset computer since every thing
on this car is contolled by it.
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #14

1979 Capri GHIA

79Capri302 is on a distinguished road

open the hood and turn them back on, make them hit the hood again, it might cause them to stop?? if that doesn't work i'd replace the wiper motor.
Edelbrock RPM intake & 600cfm carb, E7TE heads, BBK equal length shorty hedders & off-road H-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, 8.8 swap with 3.08 posi

Project Info
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #15
The Despised Vert

2006 Satin Silver GT
11.08@125.22

2006greyGT is a jewel in the rough2006greyGT is a jewel in the rough2006greyGT is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Yahoo to 2006greyGT

Chevettes and pintos and vegas and pacers, and mustang II s... boy those were some fine cars.
Sorry about that but it is prochargers fault

2.6l KB 298 Stroker, Ported heads Pro Motion Built 3650/McLeod RST/ MGW Short Throw LT/O/R X /Borla Touring 8 rib/65 lb injectors/GT500 twin fuel 3.73 gear Detroit Truetrac /CDC AGR Spoiler CHE K-member w/tq brace Che adj UCA
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

2005 Turbonetics Baby!!!

Originally Posted by 79Capri302 View Post
open the hood and turn them back on, make them hit the hood again, it might cause them to stop?? if that doesn't work i'd replace the wiper motor.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turbonetics baby!!!
11.23@122 mph...
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #17
MM's resident Juice head

07 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by 2006greyGT View Post
Chevettes and pintos and vegas and pacers, and mustang II s... boy those were some fine cars.
Sorry about that but it is prochargers fault

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: windshield wipers won't turn off
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
windshield wipers tom2000r 99 - 04 14 March 18th, 2008 04:31 PM
Wipers! mustangjeff1997 V6 Mustangs 2 March 6th, 2008 10:36 PM
windshield wipers gooberhead320 V6 Mustangs 25 July 28th, 2007 01:24 AM
wipers Mustang RacR94 V6 Mustangs 1 April 26th, 2007 06:05 PM
windshield wipers captain_communism 99 - 04 1 April 3rd, 2007 01:22 AM