Fixed my interior water leak! Thanks for the crappy design, Ford!
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2005 - 2010

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (10) Thread Tools
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM   9 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

tribaltek has a spectacular aura abouttribaltek has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

Fixed my interior water leak! Thanks for the crappy design, Ford!

So after months of trying to figure out how water is coming into the passenger area in my Mustang, and after reading HUNDREDS of posts on this and other forums, I dedicated today to fixing this fucking problem. I thought it might take all day, but I figured it out pretty quick.

I left this morning for some breakfast, and since we had hard rain last night I knew I'd see some leaking... not as much as I got (probably 40 - 50 ounces, and yes, I am serious). So I got out the towel I carry with me, soaked it all up, wrang it out, soaked it up, wrang it out (you get the idea). So I get back home, rip off my cowl, and start taking pictures to see what it might be. I was pretty shocked to see a pool of fucking water where the cabin air filter goes (see pictures below).

I got all the water out (just soaked it up with rag) and looked down there and saw this grommet looking thing totally caked up with gunk. I pulled it out and saw there was a slit at the bottom, so apparently it WAS designed to drain water, but since the slit it so small, and so much shit got backed up into it, it was making the water back up. And as you see, my cabin filter is fucking disgusting now, so I have to order another one of those.

So here is a big FUCK YOU to Ford for such a shitty design and not helping people whose cars are still under warranty.

I hope this helps anyone that is having this problem. I'm going to link this to a few other sites (mustangforums has the most people complaining about this), and hopefully we can all enjoy dry floorboards now!!!

(note the slugde in the grass that came out of the grommet thing)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

Dont Tread On Me

mustang fanatic will become famous soon enoughmustang fanatic will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to mustang fanatic Send a message via Yahoo to mustang fanatic

Damn I didnt know it could get that bad!! Ford fixed mine couple months back but on the interior beneath the kick board panel there are mounting brackets that for the dashI think and they are freaking rusted!! They wouldnt replace them. I hate Ford!!!

What was the picture of that filter?
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #3
One Man Wolf Pack

2006 Mustang GT
13ish....maybe

06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute06RedfireGT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to 06RedfireGT

You gotta be fuckin kidding me. The water puddles up in there like that? Gimme a break. When I take mine to Ford to get fixed the WILL replace anything that's rusted.
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Banned

2002 BMW 530i
don't know and don't care

Luis_GT is a jewel in the roughLuis_GT is a jewel in the roughLuis_GT is a jewel in the roughLuis_GT is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Luis_GT

I'm surprised mine hasn't leaked yet...
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #5
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2007 GT

07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of

Wow. Good thread dude. Reps.
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

The filter shown is the cabin air filter.
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #7
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2007 GT

07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of07stanggt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
I'm surprised mine hasn't leaked yet...

Im flat out shocked.
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

My main concern is that this WILL happen to everyones mustang if it hasn't already. I think everyone should at least examine this grommet as soon as possible. You might be holding water back their too. It might just not be enough to leak into the car.
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Banned

2002 BMW 530i

Luis_GT is a jewel in the roughLuis_GT is a jewel in the roughLuis_GT is a jewel in the roughLuis_GT is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by tribaltek View Post
My main concern is that this WILL happen to everyones mustang if it hasn't already. I think everyone should at least examine this grommet as soon as possible. You might be holding water back their too. It might just not be enough to leak into the car.
Why... tiss another reason to hate my car...Let it leak and rust to hell FTMFW!
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #10
MM's resident Juice head

07 Mustang GT

07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold07 STROKER is a splendid one to behold

I dont drive mine in the rain...but ill let my service manager see this thread

The MGW short throw shifter

Its not just a shifter...It's a lifestyle!
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Banned

2002 BMW 530i

Not a spec of cloging on mine... and mine has never even seen a garage...
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #12
Enthusiast

2007 GT

07 Grabber GT will become famous soon enough

I haven't had this problem ... but this weekend I'll pull the filter out and take a looksy ...
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #13

06 Mustang GT

redeluv is on a distinguished road

I posted about my leak issue in the general tech section a few days ago. Same problem- passenger side leak which when I took it to the dealer said was due to that drain getting clogged. They wanted 350 bucks to clean the drain and carpet and replace a 20 dollar cabin filter. I told them no way and cleaned it myself (about an hour and a half). I haven't had anymore electrical issues now that the GEM module has dried out. I feel pretty much fuk'd by my dealer. I dont think its anywhere in the manual or common knowledge to make sure that drain is kept clean or it will cause a leak in your car....
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

I just don't understand why this grommet is there. Why not just leave the hole open? That's my plan from now on.
Old June 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #15
Hardcore Enthusiast

Good to hear... is there any wetness or any gunk anywhere down near the grommet?

Not a spec of cloging on mine... and mine has never even seen a garage...
Old June 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

Yeah man, $350 to fix an issue from a poor design. Complete bullshit!

I'm just glad I finally figured it out!

Originally Posted by redeluv View Post
I posted about my leak issue in the general tech section a few days ago. Same problem- passenger side leak which when I took it to the dealer said was due to that drain getting clogged. They wanted 350 bucks to clean the drain and carpet and replace a 20 dollar cabin filter. I told them no way and cleaned it myself (about an hour and a half). I haven't had anymore electrical issues now that the GEM module has dried out. I feel pretty much fuk'd by my dealer. I dont think its anywhere in the manual or common knowledge to make sure that drain is kept clean or it will cause a leak in your car....
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #17
Banned

2002 BMW 530i

Originally Posted by tribaltek View Post
Good to hear... is there any wetness or any gunk anywhere down near the grommet?

nope... it just dusty
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

Thats good man! Glad there is no gunk in there.
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #19
Banned

2002 BMW 530i

I'm wondering... how do ou have so many leafs in there... there wasn't even one leaf inside of mine and my car is constantly covered in leafs...

I'm going with the theory that cars built for PR are a bit different,hence why my car is a pile of crap, but my whole undercarage is protected from rust.
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #20
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering... how do ou have so many leafs in there... there wasn't even one leaf inside of mine and my car is constantly covered in leafs...
That's because all the leafs flocked to the inside of your transmission instead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/75815-fixed-my-interior-water-leak-thanks-crappy-design-ford.html
Posted By For Type Date
Anyone?s GT leak in the rain??? | Page 2 | Mustang Forums at StangNet This thread Refback March 22nd, 2012 04:43 PM
Water leaking into the passange side under the glovebox - FixYa This thread Refback December 5th, 2009 07:21 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback July 25th, 2009 03:29 PM
'09 with the dreaded dome light water leak!!!! - Page 2 - Jeep Patriot Forums This thread Refback May 13th, 2009 03:11 PM
'09 with the dreaded dome light water leak!!!! - Page 2 - Jeep Patriot Forums This thread Refback May 13th, 2009 09:28 AM
Untitled document This thread Pingback April 1st, 2009 10:51 AM
does anyone have photos on where to seal/caulk to fix the carpet leaks - WWW.S197FORUM.COM This thread Refback December 28th, 2008 02:00 PM
Something seems strange.... This thread Refback June 18th, 2008 03:29 PM
Fixed my interior water leak! Thanks for the crappy design, Ford! This thread Refback June 14th, 2008 04:38 PM
Fixed my interior water leak! Thanks for the crappy design, Ford! - Page 2 This thread Refback June 14th, 2008 04:37 PM

Threads Similar to: Fixed my interior water leak! Thanks for the crappy design, Ford!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford racing "cut and clamp" design xpipe? BadGT06 2005 - 2010 36 May 22nd, 2008 05:57 AM
more crappy simptoms! JASonic V6 Mustangs 9 April 13th, 2008 12:40 PM
Water leak through windshield wiper Holes 68 Mustang Smoothgrandmama Classic Mustangs 2 September 23rd, 2007 08:28 AM
Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak) Juggalo_X V6 Mustangs 11 April 25th, 2007 04:46 PM
Water Leak srcox 2.3 Mustangs 8 March 19th, 2007 02:58 AM