What does an X pipe do????
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2011 - 2014

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Regular

zim-300srt8 is on a distinguished road

What does an X pipe do????

I have a corsa sport axleback exhaust on my 2012 mustang gt and somone I know is selling a borla x pipe, now does it add any hp or it just sound? If its just sound how does it sound?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Regular

1996 Mustang Gt
9.9033@70.85 1/8 in rain(Stock)

Green4.6 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zim-300srt8 View Post
I have a corsa sport axleback exhaust on my 2012 mustang gt and somone I know is selling a borla x pipe, now does it add any hp or it just sound? If its just sound how does it sound?
From what ive read you will lose some low end torque but gain more HP. I have a bbk o/r x and its a little raspy but i love it. Since my car is a npi gt the power didnt really change.

Pacific Green 96 Gt
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
1/4 mile? Well maybe.

xXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud of

Im selling my magnaflow x-pipe with no cat's. The x pipe on our stock exhaust is the most restrictive spot of our exhaust. It's only (correct me if im wrong) 2 inches wide. The rest of our stock exhuast piping is 2.5 inches.

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
0-60mph 0.5 sec. And we have liftoff!
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Regular

2001 Mustang Bullitt

austin101385 is on a distinguished road

I bought a borla s-type catback and first installed just the axlebacks with my stock h-pipe and no resonators. Then I installed the borla x-pipe.

Comparison:

H-pipe: Louder, deeper, a lot of popping sounds
X-pipe: A little quieter (still pretty loud), a lot smoother, a little higher pitched (more exotic sound, but still muscular).

I recently switched back to the h-pipe to try to remember which I liked better and 2 days later went back to the x-pipe. The x makes the tone a lot smoother. I could not feel any difference (gain or loss of torque/hp) between the two.

Hope this helps.
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #5
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

Any midpipe will give you more power if you remove the cats and tune for it. A noticeble amount at that.
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

11 Mustang GT
Track times coming soon.

manolith has a spectacular aura aboutmanolith has a spectacular aura aboutmanolith has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xXFallout View Post
Im selling my magnaflow x-pipe with no cat's. The x pipe on our stock exhaust is the most restrictive spot of our exhaust. It's only (correct me if im wrong) 2 inches wide. The rest of our stock exhuast piping is 2.5 inches.
Our cars dont have an x pipe from factory. They do have an h pipe and the restriction is the cat converters. I am not 100% sure but i think that its also more than 2 inches diamiter.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Manny32V

instagram: fumaliche
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #7
Token asian guy

'11 Grabber Blue GT

swervo has a spectacular aura aboutswervo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to swervo

The exhaust goes from 2.25 up to 2.75 inches through out.

'11 Grabber Blue GT
Swervo's build thread
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
swervo if I ever go gay I'm totally going to marry you
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Regular

borla x pipe replaces the pipe with cats correct? So theres no cats?
Old August 17th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Guydudebro

2007 Mustang GT
No Track, No Time

TheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to TheUNZippee!

An x-pipe helps exhaust scavenging by crossing the pipes together. They typically produce the best power, (over an H-pipe) but also have a raspier sound. H-pipe is a little deeper.

An x-pipe can be mounted after the cats so you can retain the catalytic converters, or you can delete the cats. That's a separate choice, dependent on if you start putting headers on the car.

exhaust scavenging

Last edited by Nasty; August 24th, 2011 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Learn how to Multi Quote!
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #10
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
1/4 mile? Well maybe.

xXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud ofxXFallout has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by manolith View Post
Our cars dont have an x pipe from factory. They do have an h pipe and the restriction is the cat converters. I am not 100% sure but i think that its also more than 2 inches diamiter.
Yeah I was thinking about some thing eles. Some one slap me. Ive been drinking to much the last 3 day's

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
0-60mph 0.5 sec. And we have liftoff!

Last edited by xXFallout; August 17th, 2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #11
Regular

2011 Mustang GT
12.3@115ish

Skunk is on a distinguished road

I will have a BBK after-cat X-pipe for sale shortly. I'm going to full long tubes w/ the 3" off road x.

As for the sound...which is the only difference I noticed, I'll get a vid up on my youtube with my current exhaust setup. Cats are hollow, no mufflers, just the bbk x and stock resonators. The sound is SOOOOOO much cleaner and much much smoother than the H. That and the stock changes in piping size drove me nuts. To go from 2.75 down to whatever it is, 2.5 or 2.25, then back up to 2.75 is just plain DUMB! PM if anyone is interested in the x...$120 shipped is all I'm going to be asking for it.

4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun
Old August 18th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #12
Regular

2001 Mustang Bullitt

borla x pipe replaces the pipe with cats correct? So theres no cats?
The borla x-pipe attaches behind the catalytic converters (exactly where the h-pipe connects) so you will retain your converters with this x-pipe.
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #13
Regular

I dont know what to do I need some advice!! I absolutely love the sound of my corsa sport axleback but I wouldnt mind if it was a tad louder and a little more crackle, I dont really want to delete the cats unless I really need to. What should I do!
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #14
Enthusiast

06 GT

JCCNY is on a distinguished road

My 06 came with Corsa Sports. I added a Magnaflow catted x and my car screams now! I love it and didn't notice any loss of low end power. Austin accurately described the sound.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM   #15
Regular

So most people say an X pipe is better? Is better to have a custom exhaust shop make one?
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:36 PM   #16
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

zinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud ofzinc02GT has much to be proud of

No. Just buy one.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #17
MM Ninjas!

2012 F-550 Super Duty

FM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud ofFM1R has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to FM1R Send a message via MSN to FM1R Send a message via Yahoo to FM1R Send a message via Skype™ to FM1R

So most people say an X pipe is better? Is better to have a custom exhaust shop make one?
You pay a heck of a lot more by having an exhaust shop make a custom X. Just buy one already made, and have it installed.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:11 PM   #18
Regular

2001 Mustang Bullitt

Definitely buy one...they are direct bolt on. I LOVED the h-pipe on a 99-04 GT...really made the car sound good, but these 5.0s just are too rough and poppy sounding with h-pipes when paired with some mufflers. The x-pipe just smooths it out and makes most of them sound so much better.

A little tip if you install the x-pipe yourself...easy to do on ramps or jack stands...however mine did not line up exactly. Once I loosened the bolts that holds the cats on, you can move the pipe a little to line them up and then just tighten them all down.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:45 PM   #19
Regular

Anyone have a barton short shifter, x pipe and bmr springs for sale?
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #20
Made in U.S.A.

2011 F150 FX4

Nasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond reputeNasty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by futureMACH1racer View Post
You pay a heck of a lot more by having an exhaust shop make a custom X. Just buy one already made, and have it installed.
Damn Skippy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: What does an X pipe do????
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full length X-Pipe to Shorty X-Pipe & LT's - Worth it? solodude23 99 - 04 15 December 10th, 2010 01:48 PM
x pipe or h pipe. whats the differance in sound and power jackhammer505 2005 - 2010 27 April 22nd, 2010 12:18 AM