Does an ORX make your car unbarable to DD?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 2011 - 2014

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #1

THE BIG SITT is on a distinguished road

Does an ORX make your car unbarable to DD?

As the title says. I hear that the majority of HP gains form an exhaust setup will come from removing the cat. How loud is this going to be? I want something that sounds like it has been worked on, not like it has an exhaust leak.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Rock out with my Mach out

03 Mach 1/93 5.0 LX Hatch

Torched03Mach has a spectacular aura aboutTorched03Mach has a spectacular aura aboutTorched03Mach has a spectacular aura about

It really depends on what mufflers you go with. The Roush axle back's sound pretty damn sweet!
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #3
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2013 Mustang GTCS
11.86 @ 117mph

Shaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond reputeShaun13GT/CS has a reputation beyond repute

^ it does depend on the axlebacks. But an off road X and roush will be very loud.

Kooks axlebacks and off road X is nice. Alittle quiet for my liking. Resonators do shit the car up a decent amount too.

442rwhp & 398ftlb SAE
11.6 @ 118.3... Working on it
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Regular

Jamest is on a distinguished road

Mine is not bad, ORX and Mac axle backs.
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:23 AM   #5

2012 Mustang GT

KalEl370 is on a distinguished road

I like the sound of the o/r H-pipe better. It's all preference though. The H-pipe usually gives it a little deeper tone and sounds less raspy. I run longtubes with an h pipe and GT500s and I love the sound.
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #6

Originally Posted by KalEl370 View Post
I like the sound of the o/r H-pipe better. It's all preference though. The H-pipe usually gives it a little deeper tone and sounds less raspy. I run longtubes with an h pipe and GT500s and I love the sound.
I would say this is what I want then. I want a rumble for sure.

Basically, I want something that sounds a hair louder than stock while cruising, but when accelerating it would really open up and sound like a V8 should.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Originally Posted by Jamest View Post
Mine is not bad, ORX and Mac axle backs.
Any kind of drone?
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #7
Zip's half naked helper

2014 GT Premium

Marc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant future

I used to dd my blue car with no cats, custom h pipe/over axle pipes and GT500 axlebacks. Loved it. Depending on the axleback, though, it can be a bit raunchy.

October ROTM submission thread!

Old March 28th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Enthusiast

2012 Mustang GT/CS

Darrinm03 will become famous soon enough

when i had my 08 i had a pypes off road x with pypes violators axlebacks, and it sounded like complete shit. But thats also because i was using the cheapest axlebacks i could find. Im an exhaust FANATIC, and went big this time with a Borla S-type catback. Ive been thinking about going with an off road x or h pipe, but it sounds phenominal as is, and dont want the tone to change at all. and in my opinion, if you go with an off road anything, just make sure you have a above average axleback setup, like roush (which like said above will be LOUD!). Also understand, the louder the exhaust gets A LOT of the time (not in all cases) you sacrifice loudness with tone. Again, this is just my ears talking, everyone like different exhaust sounds just like everyone likes different music.
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I used to dd my blue car with no cats, custom h pipe/over axle pipes and GT500 axlebacks. Loved it. Depending on the axleback, though, it can be a bit raunchy.
So it sounds like it would be a good idea to get relatively tame ABs with a catless X/H pipe, correct?

Originally Posted by Darrinm03 View Post
Also understand, the louder the exhaust gets A LOT of the time (not in all cases) you sacrifice loudness with tone. Again, this is just my ears talking, everyone like different exhaust sounds just like everyone likes different music.
That is a good thing though. Sure, you can have a super loud car at 2k rpms, but then is sounds like crap when you get on it. And that is when you want it to sound the best!
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Zip's half naked helper

2014 GT Premium

Marc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant futureMarc has a brilliant future

Yes. At cruising speed, it was a touch louder. Romp on it and LOUD!

Old March 28th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #11
Regular

bam2012 is on a distinguished road

offroad x-pipe jpc overaxle pipes borla ataks. This is my dd, and longtubes are awiaitng install. No drone, just loud mean music combined with my bov.

Jet noise with afterburners.

14 stockish for now.
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:21 AM   #12
It'll be bout tree fiddy

11 GT Premium
8.39 Spinning through 2nd gear in the 1/8

GT350pwns is a glorious beacon of lightGT350pwns is a glorious beacon of lightGT350pwns is a glorious beacon of lightGT350pwns is a glorious beacon of lightGT350pwns is a glorious beacon of light

I DD with JBA longtubes and a flowmaster outlaw catback. Drones on the highway, but I love it.
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #13
Enthusiast

2012 Mustang GT/CS

honestly, after i installed Longtubes on the 08, it almost sounded like it quieted the car down. It was more or less just smoothening the flow of the exhaust out and just made it smoother sounded. Didnt sound louder at all, so i would suggest getting long tubes along with the O/R mid pipe for it to sound its best
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #14
Regular

2010 Mustang GT Premium
0.01 @ ∞mph

hayden55 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
I would say this is what I want then. I want a rumble for sure.

Basically, I want something that sounds a hair louder than stock while cruising, but when accelerating it would really open up and sound like a V8 should.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Any kind of drone?
Ooooh, for sure, if you want it to sound deep and good, go for the mac offroad prochamber to the stock headers. Its kinda more expensive than the other midpipes, but its like buying an expensive well tuned instrument over buying something like an instrument from a garage sale. ex: prochamber vs. a cheap aluminized offroad x pipe. I'm saving up for the prochamber as I have a 2010 and my only other choice would be a pypes h pipe. lol. My dad had one and that thing was so bad, it was actually pretty hard to install because of the pipes bad fitment.
19x9.5s on 285s & a bama tune to top it off.

Follow me on "the Instagram"@haydenjoyce1
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #15
Enthusiast

2012 Mustang GT/CS

Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
Ooooh, for sure, if you want it to sound deep and good, go for the mac offroad prochamber to the stock headers. Its kinda more expensive than the other midpipes, but its like buying an expensive well tuned instrument over buying something like an instrument from a garage sale. ex: prochamber vs. a cheap aluminized offroad x pipe. I'm saving up for the prochamber as I have a 2010 and my only other choice would be a pypes h pipe. lol. My dad had one and that thing was so bad, it was actually pretty hard to install because of the pipes bad fitment.
now that you brought it up, i have NEVER seen or heard of anyone putting a pro chamber on the 5.0's. not sure why to be honest, but I havent even seen too many youtube clips with them either....anyone know why this is?
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #16
The Dude Abides

1MeanNonPI2v will become famous soon enough1MeanNonPI2v will become famous soon enough

i had a Bassani X with 40 series flowmasters and turn downs on my 1998, 2.5" from the manifolds back. It was loud but not unbearable. Plus I have a nice stereo so can crank it up if I want. I will have a new set up when my engine goes in, ARH headers with 3" collectors and X with Flowmaster super 44s and dumps. Going 3" all the way, it will be loud. CHP is going to love me.
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #17
Zip's half naked helper

2014 GT Premium

Because the pro chamber fits like crap and sounds worse.

Old March 28th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #18
Regular

2004 GT / 2011 GT

Quan Cheese will become famous soon enough

I used to have UPR off road x pipe combined with SLP LM1s... And dear god it was horrible loud. It was just raspy and sounded like a 90s chevy pick up with missing cats. I since swapped it for a UPR Catted X its much deeper now and still loud but not annoying loud. When I get long tubes i'm going with an OR Hpipe. This was on a 2004 GT
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #19
Enthusiast

2012 Mustang GT/CS

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Because the pro chamber fits like crap and sounds worse.
makes sense, pro chambers were all people were running on the 4.6L's so i completely forgot about them when i got the 5 oh
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #20

It seems to me that an H pipe would be the way to go for me. I doubt it would ever see a drag strip while it is my DD, so low/mid range torque would be best for a DD. Plus I would rather have the more of a rumble as opposed to a raspy sound.

Now one guy says the Prochamber is the way to go, and another says they are crap. Looking at a picture of them, they don't seem very well made... So what H pipe is the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.