Bama Tunes worth it?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs > 2011+ V6

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:20 AM   #1
Stew

2014 5.0

stewarts2008 will become famous soon enoughstewarts2008 will become famous soon enough

Bama Tunes worth it?

I ordered my cai and exhaust this weekend, and i was looking at getting a sct tune... however, of course the AM website says that I just gotta get one, but then again, i came across another video with several tune scenarios and cai kits, and it didnt seem to make THAT big of a difference. Not sure if it is a $375 difference or not. Any input?

Dyno vid:
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:03 AM   #2
The Aviator

2014 5.0 400A

solidhadriel is a jewel in the roughsolidhadriel is a jewel in the roughsolidhadriel is a jewel in the rough

The CAI will give you as much of a HP 'gain' as the tune would. Both combined however, does NOT. Which means that If you buy the CAI then add the tune, you will see about 1-2 hp gain (depending on the CAI of course.) C&Ls were shown to have loss torque for hp. Ew.

Since the tune does more than "increase power", I would still strongly suggest it. The air/fuel ratio is maximized for efficiency, the shifting points are changed, and fuel octanes are optimized for best performance and mileage.

I purchased my tune a while back, and am now waiting on my AIRAID CAI to come in the mail today.

Edit: I can't see the vid at work, so I do not know which vid it is.
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Absens haeres non erit

'11 Performance Package
4.61@356.68

Alexander III will become famous soon enoughAlexander III will become famous soon enough

Both a tune and an upgraded filter (K&N drop in my choice) will result in better overall driveability (Power, mpg's, throttle response, power curve, etc.).

Current:
'12 VW CC Sport 6MT | '10 Jetta TDI | '08 350Z Vert | '95 S14 | '85 325e
BUY MY SCT X3 UNLOCKED USED TWICE
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Authorized Vendor

2007 Mustang GT

AMChrisRose will become famous soon enoughAMChrisRose will become famous soon enough

That video is actually done by us, here at AM.

The tune is going to get you horsepower/torque as well as throttle response, driveability all the way around, gas mileage, better shifting for the autos, speed limiter removed, etc. If you add a cold air intake system to that, you'll probably only pick up 3-5RWHP and 3-5TRWTQ. Then again, if you add the CAI first and the tune afterwards, you'll probably only pick up 5-7RWHP and 5-7RWTQ from the tune.

The tune definitely has more benefits and you notice the tune more because of the throttle response, etc. It's more than just WOT power (which there's plenty of). If you watch that video again, you'll see it explains that you dont "stack" the horsepower/torque gains so the one you add first will always look better. However,the tune is always going to feel better.

Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Need Help? PM AMShaneLesky or AMDanBailer for immediate assistance!
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Absens haeres non erit

'11 Performance Package
4.61@356.68

Alexander III will become famous soon enoughAlexander III will become famous soon enough

American Muscle's package deal (SCT X3 w/ Bama) is unbeatable, and is a must have for all 3.7 owners.

Current:
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Stew

2014 5.0

stewarts2008 will become famous soon enoughstewarts2008 will become famous soon enough

I guess that i just cant justify spending $375 for about 5 hp/5 torque. I already have the cai on the way, so that will give me the most gain. the cai is also engineered to keep a pretty similar air/fuel ratio..... so the tune wont help with that.... i drive a manual, so i couldnt care less about the shift points.... maybe one day though........
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Not A Regular Member

McQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stewarts2008 View Post
I guess that i just cant justify spending $375 for about 5 hp/5 torque. I already have the cai on the way, so that will give me the most gain. the cai is also engineered to keep a pretty similar air/fuel ratio..... so the tune wont help with that.... i drive a manual, so i couldnt care less about the shift points.... maybe one day though........
Another perk to a tuner is the ability to get a tune for 93 octane fuel. Pre-05 Mustangs got okayish gains from it, I believe S197s got decent gains from it, and I imagine 2011+ Mustangs would get a nice gain from it.
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:26 PM   #8
The Aviator

2014 5.0 400A

solidhadriel is a jewel in the roughsolidhadriel is a jewel in the roughsolidhadriel is a jewel in the rough

If I recall correctly, its a 6 OR 12HP gain for 91 octane. I don't remember the math exactly
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Stew

2014 5.0

yea..... 91 octane is about $4.20 now :/
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Absens haeres non erit

'11 Performance Package
4.61@356.68

Damn. I bitch about 93 being $3.60!
Originally Posted by stewarts2008 View Post
yea..... 91 octane is about $4.20 now :/

Current:
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM   #11
Guydudebro

2007 Mustang GT
No Track, No Time

TheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to TheUNZippee!

Today 91 octane was five dollars a gallon here.

Originally Posted by bluebandit!
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIII'MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GAYYYYYY!!!!

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Not A Regular Member

McQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
Today 91 octane was five dollars a gallon here.
And here I haven't been running 93 because it's like $3.80
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Absens haeres non erit

'11 Performance Package
4.61@356.68

Originally Posted by mcqueen View Post
And here I haven't been running 93 because it's like $3.80
Same here. I've been running my 87 octane tune...

Current:
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM   #14
Guydudebro

2007 Mustang GT
No Track, No Time

TheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond repute

Our regular 87 octane gasoline is 4.50 a gallon here today. lol.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIII'MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GAYYYYYY!!!!

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:15 PM   #15
Not A Regular Member

Originally Posted by Remembermorrison View Post
Same here. I've been running my 87 octane tune...
Same. I ran it most of the winter since all of the gas was shitty anyways

Originally Posted by TheUNZippee! View Post
Our regular 87 octane gasoline is 4.50 a gallon here today. lol.

Jesus that's expensive. I'm buying a bicycle if gas gets that high down here
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Authorized Vendor

2007 Mustang GT

AMChrisRose will become famous soon enoughAMChrisRose will become famous soon enough

The throttle response alone is worth it. As for the intake keeping air/fuel ratio correct, most of them are pretty close. However, the stock air/fuel ratio is conservative. And the stock timing map is jacked up. The tune has its' benefits, regardless. And if you plan on doing any mods down the road (ie. headers, etc.) you're going to need the programmer.
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Need Help? PM AMShaneLesky or AMDanBailer for immediate assistance!
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:30 PM   #17
Guydudebro

2007 Mustang GT
No Track, No Time

I run Bama tunes on my 07 GT. They are totally worth it.

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM   #18
Stew

2014 5.0

yea, well I get my gas on base, so its usually about 30 cents cheaper than out on town, but i have been too afraid to see what normal prices around my house are :/ So yea.... thats one of the main reasons I went with the v6 anyway.... I already have a v8 truck that sucks gas!
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:30 AM   #19
I'm cool..

FOR U 2 3NVY is a jewel in the roughFOR U 2 3NVY is a jewel in the roughFOR U 2 3NVY is a jewel in the roughFOR U 2 3NVY is a jewel in the rough

The tune should have come from the factory. It is a must upgrade. I was skeptical from canned tune and I preferred a dyno tune but this one really just really works.
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #20
Enthusiast

2011 5.000000H

Lone Star will become famous soon enough

I cant talk about the improvement the 3.7 v6 will have, but in the manual 4.0 it was night and day from Stock! I hightly recommend AM & Chris Rose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Bama Tunes worth it?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AM bama tunes mutag03 99 - 04 20 September 28th, 2010 11:58 PM
BAMA Tunes, from AM. RAGEman 99 - 04 11 April 26th, 2010 08:15 PM
Bama Tunes Alexander III 2005 - 2010 20 April 27th, 2008 03:15 PM
Bama Tunes SoonerStang 2005 - 2010 9 February 29th, 2008 07:05 PM
Bama tunes! JAY'SRED02 2005 - 2010 9 December 30th, 2007 05:27 PM