cobra electric vaccum pump to ditch PCV system
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 4V / SVT

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

wraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to wraitherx Send a message via Yahoo to wraitherx

cobra electric vaccum pump to ditch PCV system

Ive been researching around on different methods to scavenge the oil vapors and pressure from the crankcase and ditch the PCV system and came across someone that was using a 96 cobra electric vacuum pump in conjunction with a catch can and I was intrigued by it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it with a N/A setup as ive seen that alot of people are using it for boosted applications, or even any experience at all.
Thanks in advance.

if you are interested in it I can post up links later once I get back from work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Resident DJ

'01 Cobra Vert.

Lefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond reputeLefty has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...interesting...

2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe (the daily)
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition (the other toy)
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Billy Weston

2003 Cobra
11.14@124.36

C MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to C MY 4D

I have tossed the idea around a few times but haven't really done any research on it yet. From what I have gathered 4th gen camaros have an electric pump that will work great for it.

TT Build in progress.......

Need work done to your car for a great price in Hampton Roads? Shoot me a PM.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

wraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud ofwraitherx has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by C MY 4D View Post
I have tossed the idea around a few times but haven't really done any research on it yet. From what I have gathered 4th gen camaros have an electric pump that will work great for it.
yeah, ive been seeing that as well as S10 and Caddy pumps. But what ive been seeing alot of people are using the 96 Cobra pump as it pulls more then all the rest. Ill post up the links that ive found on what is needed. There are a handful of people that are using it and they say that it is a flawless system that works great whether full-out race or DD. Interested in using my car as a test mule ill supply the beer

Last edited by wraitherx; July 22nd, 2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Billy Weston

2003 Cobra
11.14@124.36

C MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of lightC MY 4D is a glorious beacon of light

We can do that.... Even if it barely works it will help.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

We can do that.... Even if it barely works it will help.
thats what i was thinking... as long as it pulls into the catch can, even if a little, it still has to be, by far, better then having hot oil/gas entering into your intake and manifold. Im thinking that it can work but I just havent seen anything for N/A setups. Ive read that people are using it but I dont know if they are using the same componets or what. I know that for boosted apps people are using a Hobbs switch set at like 2psi to start the motor up via relay and start sucking, but what should we do in a N/A setup? any thoughts?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:41 PM   #7
Billy Weston

2003 Cobra
11.14@124.36

I don't see why it can't run the whole time. It would be nice if we could get it to actually apply a vacuum to the crankcase.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

hmmm... sounds like we might be doing alot of tinkering around with this thing You dont think that we can?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM   #9
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

we can talk about this more here in about an hour... im leaving work now... finally
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Billy Weston

2003 Cobra
11.14@124.36

well the best thing to do is to hit up a junk yard and grab 1 of every pump we can think of. They shouldn't cost much. Then hook them up to some type of container with a bleeder and a vacuum gauge. Then choose the one that will pull the most vacuum.

Then all we have to do is hook it up. It may be a good idea to build an accumulator large enough to catch all of the oil. We can do that with used AC parts.

In the end there should be less parasitic loss because of the lack of pressure in the crankcase. Also the motor should be less prone to detonation. Burning oil, even vapor will cause detonation.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM   #11
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

well the best thing to do is to hit up a junk yard and grab 1 of every pump we can think of. They shouldn't cost much. Then hook them up to some type of container with a bleeder and a vacuum gauge. Then choose the one that will pull the most vacuum.

Then all we have to do is hook it up. It may be a good idea to build an accumulator large enough to catch all of the oil. We can do that with used AC parts.

In the end there should be less parasitic loss because of the lack of pressure in the crankcase. Also the motor should be less prone to detonation. Burning oil, even vapor will cause detonation.

Thats what I kept on thinking everytime i ran the set up through my head. I cant see it hurting at all. That sounds good to me. we can make a day of it. Ive got a buddy that works at U Wrench It but we can troll others as well. We can get the parts, come back to my place (or yours), and get at it. Sounds like new project in the works here. Here is what ive found so far and for those that are interested.
this guy has it on his Tbird 331
Johns331's 1986 Ford Thunderbird on CarDomain - Page 3
One additional oil return from t
The Pros and Cons of Racing Vacuum Pumps

I think im also gonna get her dynoed before and after to see if there are any HP gains and im gonna log her to see if there is a difference noticed anywhere.

Last edited by wraitherx; July 23rd, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:59 PM   #12
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

from what it looks like in the fourth picture is that the guy has the Valve covers directly going into the pump and then the pump (im guessing output) feeding into the enclosed catch can (accumalator)

or....

the valve covers T'd off into the 1 of 2 ports in catch can (im sure its baffled), catch can to inlet on pump, then outlet going back into intake

Last edited by wraitherx; July 22nd, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:05 AM   #13
Billy Weston

2003 Cobra
11.14@124.36

seems like the best one to go with came on the 96-98 cobras. F6ZE-9A486-DC

Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:49 AM   #14
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

yeah, thats what the concensus seems to be. Im sure that we can find some over at Johnson's and I think that JP knows someone that works there.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 12:50 AM   #15
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

seems like the best one to go with came on the 96-98 cobras. F6ZE-9A486-DC
I tried pulling up that part number and came up with nothing. But i did find it at Rockauto. Id much rather get a used one for cheap to test until we can get the system finalized so that we dont ruin a brand new pump.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:30 AM   #16
Zoolander

Cricket is a name known to allCricket is a name known to allCricket is a name known to allCricket is a name known to allCricket is a name known to allCricket is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Cricket Send a message via MSN to Cricket

I don't know anyone who works there, but I have someone I can talk to that might be able to help...also Johnsons isn't far from my house at all.
MM Cobra Club #18

Team Tini Racing

Originally Posted by BWAL09 View Post
don't fuck with cricket or you will get chirped. bitches.
Originally Posted by futureMACH1racer View Post
I don't know jack shit...
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM   #17
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

sounds good to me. Whatever they can do. So when do you guys want to get together and tackle this thing?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:28 PM   #18
Billy Weston

2003 Cobra
11.14@124.36

I'm not sure, I'm slammed with sidework right now and am going to DC next weekend.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:44 PM   #19
Premium Member

'99 SVT Cobra

well, im pretty much in the same boat as well. Im usually free on weekends so the next time you get a free weekend and feel up to it just let me know.
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #20
Regular

2001 Cobra/03'termi swap
...@.....

nutnbutcustm has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via Yahoo to nutnbutcustm

did you guys ever do anything with this idea? im interested in possibly doin the same thing to the termi? also if it worked how about a how-to?
Termi swap,6spd,Spec 3 clutch,Steigmeir stage 3 ported blower,Big Moroso heat exchanger,ported heads,Sean Hyland CAMS,Billetflow 2.76 pulley,JLT power pipe,injectors,rails,full Magnaflow exhaust,Longtubes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: cobra electric vaccum pump to ditch PCV system
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Water Pump... REIGNYC 5.0 Mustangs 12 March 16th, 2009 07:28 AM
electric water pump... Traidmarx 5.0 Mustangs 2 January 30th, 2009 12:04 AM
Electric water pump RX Bandit 2005 - 2010 6 November 6th, 2008 12:01 PM
Suggestions for an electric water pump or water pump motor. N. Dave 5.0 Mustangs 4 October 5th, 2008 09:49 PM
Electric Water Pump MyBloodRunsBlue 99 - 04 16 January 27th, 2007 09:10 PM