03 cobra shortblock....
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 4V / SVT

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:08 AM   #1
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

BakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud of

03 cobra shortblock....

This is the 03 cobra shortblock im going to snag.... Everything look aight to you guys? Recognize it as the forged cobra block?

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
Procharger D1sc at 20+ psi
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Tune/numbers coming shortly!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:09 AM   #2

BakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud ofBakerFX4 has much to be proud of

my question is, this should be good to go after some good cleaning and such huh? Recommendations?

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM   #3
mm's nitrous mod

2000 mustang gt
11.79@115.83 (old set up)

SWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud of

looks of from the pics you got there. i would spray the cylinders down with some lubricant, turn by hand, and to get a better look at what the cylinder walls look like.

project warhorse under construction
wagon burner built! track times coming soon!(04 lightning)

being built by MP2 Performance
follow shop builds on facebook at: MP2 Performance
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:15 PM   #4
N/A 4v Guru

2003 Mach 1

Doc8224 is a jewel in the roughDoc8224 is a jewel in the roughDoc8224 is a jewel in the rough

Yes after some good cleaning it should be fine. How many miles are on it? might be worth re ringing it since your in there and a quick hone on the cylinders if it had alot of miles. But it looks pretty good

Military Crew
U.S. Army Aviation
Apache's Lead The Way
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #5

shawnh531 is on a distinguished road

I have an 03 Cobra Shortblock that shaved a rod bearing. 40K miles not run hard at all.
Let me know if you are interested current offer is 1100.00.

Shawn 801-835-0333
Old October 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Regular

1998 Mustang Base Model

tbird88tbo is on a distinguished road

I thought cobras all came with aluminum blocks. That block is clearly cast iron, look at all the rusty spots. Plus, the 4v blocks had bungs cast into the vally for knock sensors, and that block does not. I dont think that is a cobra block, and gt blocks didnt come with forged internals. Another thing to look at would be the bolt patern on the crank for the flywheel, a forged cobra crank will have 8 bolt holes, where as a non forged crank will only have 6.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:01 PM   #7

2000 gt

mustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to behold

03/04 cobras came with iron blocks tbird.

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:01 PM   #8

tbird, that is more of the info i was looking for. he said while he was out of town his roommate sold it to someone else anyway so not an option anymore. Ive decided to do my own build anyway.

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Old October 1st, 2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Regular

1998 Mustang Base Model

tbird88tbo is on a distinguished road

cool
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mach 1

Reloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really niceReloaded is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Reloaded

Originally Posted by tbird88tbo View Post
I thought cobras all came with aluminum blocks. That block is clearly cast iron, look at all the rusty spots. Plus, the 4v blocks had bungs cast into the vally for knock sensors, and that block does not. I dont think that is a cobra block, and gt blocks didnt come with forged internals. Another thing to look at would be the bolt patern on the crank for the flywheel, a forged cobra crank will have 8 bolt holes, where as a non forged crank will only have 6.
As pointed out, the 03/04 Cobra blocks are actually iron. And they do not have bungs for knock sensors as they don't use them. Which is why when you do an eaton swap on a Mach 1, you have to grind them down to make the Cobra manifold fit.

MM Cobra Club #42
417 HP & 413 TQ (Old #s)
422 HP & 453 TQ (New #s)
492 HP & 502 TQ (with Posi and 2lb lower)
Originally Posted by BuRnIn_YoUrS View Post
Dude...it takes alot to make me gag...
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:19 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

97 Cobra

acidtonic will become famous soon enoughacidtonic will become famous soon enough

Yep and also dont forget to mention that there are 8 bolt cast cranks as well. Some GTs got an 8 bolt cast instead of the common 6 bolt cast.

Also the whole point of the cobra block is that it comes nearly done. If you are going to rebuild it then I'd HIGHLY recommend going with a used Teksid block instead.

Teksid has 6 bolt mains compared to the Iron block having only 4. Teksid blocks are rated stock to handle 1600hp. Only problem is the weak internals. But if you are rebuilding the other block anyway then why not get a Teksid? Then you'll have a block just as strong and 90lbs+ lighter instead.

my 2c.
- Wideband O2, Trustz backlight gauges, Apexi turbo timer
- Stock wing, but soon to be wingless.
- Guessing 280-310 at the wheels.
02 Red Escape V6 4x4
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #12

Aceman74 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by acidtonic View Post
Yep and also dont forget to mention that there are 8 bolt cast cranks as well. Some GTs got an 8 bolt cast instead of the common 6 bolt cast.

Also the whole point of the cobra block is that it comes nearly done. If you are going to rebuild it then I'd HIGHLY recommend going with a used Teksid block instead.

Teksid has 6 bolt mains compared to the Iron block having only 4. Teksid blocks are rated stock to handle 1600hp. Only problem is the weak internals. But if you are rebuilding the other block anyway then why not get a Teksid? Then you'll have a block just as strong and 90lbs+ lighter instead.

my 2c.
They have forged cranks from Kellog 4140 forging not cast. A Teksid block has 2 bolt mains with secondary bolts not 4 sets of mains, and side jacking screws with sidebolts. The Iron block still only has two bolt mains with sidebolts. The only Ford block that has four bolt mains is the Ford GT block. Don't confuse yourself in thinking a Teksid block is a true four bolt main because its not. The secondary bolts are much smaller than the mains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 03 cobra shortblock....
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
03/04 cobra shortblock...2v heads... BakerFX4 99 - 04 25 September 21st, 2009 04:43 PM
'98 cobra shortblock blkragtop 99 - 04 2 October 29th, 2008 04:59 PM
01 cobra shortblock in my 96 GT caintcatchmyGT 96 - 98 4 May 7th, 2008 08:56 PM
the best new shortblock?? caintcatchmyGT 96 - 98 7 May 7th, 2008 03:00 PM