Can I rebuild my engine myself?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 4V / SVT

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #1
Sarcastic Sally

01' Cobra Vert
When life throws you a curve, downshift and take it vigorously.

HurrycaneStang is a jewel in the roughHurrycaneStang is a jewel in the roughHurrycaneStang is a jewel in the roughHurrycaneStang is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Yahoo to HurrycaneStang

Can I rebuild my engine myself?

So, I have a question, I have never rebuilt an enginw myself and am interested in pulling my cobra motor and tearing it down, would it be safe for me to do in my own garage by myself? I would rate my engine knowledge at about 7/10. I also have a couple Sean Hyland books on rebuilding our engines and the Haynes and you guys So question is, would this be okay or am I looking for trouble?
MM Cobra Club #100
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

11 Mustang GT
Track times coming soon.

manolith has a spectacular aura aboutmanolith has a spectacular aura aboutmanolith has a spectacular aura about

sure you can. Just make sure that you take the block to a machine shop so to hot tank it and hone. Also make sure that they get the rotating assembly to balance it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Manny32V

instagram: fumaliche
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Guydudebro

2007 Mustang GT
No Track, No Time

TheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond reputeTheUNZippee! has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to TheUNZippee!

I did. 383 in my 1970 Cuda.

+1 on taking it to a proper shop for things like hot tanking, magnafluxing, and any machine work that needs done. But other than that, IMHO, if you can spin a wrench, read a book, be patient and organized, then you can rebuild an engine.

Originally Posted by bluebandit!
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIII'MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GAYYYYYY!!!!

Old July 17th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Sarcastic Sally

01' Cobra Vert

HurrycaneStang is a jewel in the roughHurrycaneStang is a jewel in the roughHurrycaneStang is a jewel in the roughHurrycaneStang is a jewel in the rough

Wrench? Whats that? Ooooh!!! One of these!

I'd spin it!

Lmao, but yeah im in no hurry, I have my wifes car for a DD if I need too, I just want to make her run smooth and quiet again, and I dont mind breaking her down again when I get my forged internals later on...
MM Cobra Club #100
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Sarcastic Sally

01' Cobra Vert

Originally Posted by manolith View Post
sure you can. Just make sure that you take the block to a machine shop so to hot tank it and hone. Also make sure that they get the rotating assembly to balance it.
Man I hope all that isnt too expensive...San Diego can be quite pricey lol
MM Cobra Club #100
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #6
Regular

1998 Mustang Cobra

bigz5000 will become famous soon enough

I did it with out any books, and used the net and this forum as my resource....I kinda cheated though by ordering a shortblock from MMR...did everything else myself though
MMR Built Short Block, Vortech V1 Supercharger, AIS Methanol Injection, BBK LT's, X Pipe, Flowmasters, Steeda Springs, Tokico Shocks, Spec 2+ Clutch, Tri Ax shifter, 4:10's, SCT Tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Can I rebuild my engine myself?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
302 engine rebuild Chriszz11 Projects 0 May 29th, 2011 11:54 AM
engine rebuild viperlocc 5.0 Mustangs 8 October 11th, 2008 09:59 PM
Engine rebuild? chris1 99 - 04 3 August 3rd, 2007 04:22 AM
rebuild an engine Stang6899 V6 Mustangs 2 February 18th, 2007 09:08 PM
Engine Rebuild? slimboyfatty General Tech 7 December 11th, 2006 01:22 AM