The Official 03/04 Cobra "Terminator" Facts thread
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 4V / SVT

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (21) Thread Tools
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM   21 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Gun Whore

04 Whipple Cobra
10.61@129.96

KingChronic will become famous soon enoughKingChronic will become famous soon enough

The Official 03/04 Cobra "Terminator" Facts thread

The 2003/2004 SVT Cobra "Terminator"

If you own one of these cars, then you already know how responsive to mods, and how mod friendly they are. so no need to give much of a history on this car.

It starts off with a SVT hand assembled motor. The motor uses a forged crankshaft that is good to alteast 1500HP, SVT by "Manley" 4340 forged H beam rods with ARP hardware, and Mahle 8.5:1 CR pistons, all tucked into a strong cast iron block. The specs pretty much speak for themselves, this motor can go for over 100K miles and safely push 700RWHP. It can go any more, but that would be its limits on pump gas, and would require a turbo to do it. It uses 39LBS injectors fed by a baffled fuel tank with 2 fuel pumps.

Its uses the "improved" C heads, same as Mach 1's, and features 03/04 cobra specific cam's. on top of the heads is mounted a Eaton M112 supercharger pushing 8PSI. For a transmission it uses a Tremec T56, and followed by a alluminum driveshaft, and a improved IRS with stronger halfshafts over the 01 cobra.

You can already tell this is the car to buy if you want the most bang for your buck.

Not much more really needs to be explained about this car.

When you pick one up, is one the fun really begins, bolt on mods are everywhere for this car, and it responds great to them.

For the person that doesn't have the $$ to drop for a twin screw setup, or turbo's, you can still get a lot of power, for not a lot of money.

Basic bolt on's would start as follows:

Cat-back exhaust
CAI (cold air intake)
IRS brace
Pulley
Tune

For a Cat-back system, there are many to choose from, but i would recommend no other than Bassani, Borla, Manaflow, or SLP. they offer the highest quality, the highest power gains, and all sound great. a Cat Back exhaust only on one of these cars can pick up 10-30RWHP. yes, that's a lot for just a more free flowing exhaust.

Cold air intake. this is another 15-30RWHP mod. a monster like itself needs to breath. the best you can buy for it is JLT, its proven to make the most power, and is relatively inexpensive.

IRS brace. this is used on the differential cover to give it extra bracing. with the power this car has, it is very easy to pop the cover even at stock power, so this is a relatively inexpensive way to make your rear end withstand the power. Billetflow is simply the only brand to buy for this.

Pulley. this is possibly the single best mod for this car, but still requires the other supporting mods, aswell as a tune for the added boost. at minimum you want to go with a 2.93 pulley which raises the boost approx. 4PSI. with a 2.93 belt slip really isnt much of a issue, but if you choose to go with the 2.80, or 2.76 you need to get a upper idler to help with belt wrap, so it doesn't slip. Billetflow is very highly recommended for both the pulley, and the upper idler.

Tuner. this is needed ad this point for the added boost, it will also require a tune, which a mail order tune from any of the top guys is fine for a pulley only, you wont benefit much from a dyno tune, and is 100% safe with mail order. Amazon Tuning Solution's in Anderson, SC comes very highly recommended for this task, these guys know what they're doing, and have done several. last time i checked, a SCT tuner, with a custom tune ran about $400.

at this point you have added enough power to the factory under rated car that typically dyno's 355-395RWHP 100% stock to a 440-460RWHP beast that is feared by most on the street.

stay tuned for a few more writeup on this car including ported blower, twin screws, suspension, and builing the IRS, very shortly.

[QUOTE=Drgnracin72;1870015]please do this country a favor and go play tag football with an oncoming car[/QUOTE]
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Gun Whore

04 Whipple Cobra
10.61@129.96

KingChronic will become famous soon enoughKingChronic will become famous soon enough

save

[QUOTE=Drgnracin72;1870015]please do this country a favor and go play tag football with an oncoming car[/QUOTE]
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Gun Whore

04 Whipple Cobra
10.61@129.96

save 2

Old January 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Assistant to the Manager

'13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
?????

Smoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Smoothgrandmama Send a message via Yahoo to Smoothgrandmama

Save?

Nice Writeup!

Join The MM Facebook:
Modded Mustangs Facebook

Vote For Modded Mustangs Ride of the Month

Eskimo Brothers To Smooth: Safi, Blitz34, Graystang01, WillTheThrill, Bwal, 101Fng

Originally Posted by Smoothgrandmama View Post
Procrastinators unite!..............Tomorrow.
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Gun Whore

04 Whipple Cobra
10.61@129.96

the saves are for adding info later, im pretty much done for today, but tomarrow im going to do a beyond basic bolt on's thread, and a few other things.

Old January 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Assistant to the Manager

'13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
?????

Smoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to beholdSmoothgrandmama is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Smoothgrandmama Send a message via Yahoo to Smoothgrandmama

So there like Future Edits?

Join The MM Facebook:
Modded Mustangs Facebook

Vote For Modded Mustangs Ride of the Month

Eskimo Brothers To Smooth: Safi, Blitz34, Graystang01, WillTheThrill, Bwal, 101Fng

Procrastinators unite!..............Tomorrow.
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #7
MM Fanatic

unstoppable @ speed of light

03 R Code will become famous soon enough

So there like Future Edits?

Not any more. There is a time limit on how long you can edit your posts. It will be up to a moderator to change these now.
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Gun Whore

04 Whipple Cobra
10.61@129.96

yes, its reserved space for future information. ill just type it up, and have a moderator add if in for me

Old January 19th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #9
Regular

2003 Ford Mustang Cobra
9.94@140.25

F8LBITE is on a distinguished road

Pretty Cook King. This site is pretty nice.
Quickest Pass In Factory Stock History 11.072 : Best MPH 121.01 : E7's
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:35 AM   #10
Regular

Justin00Stang is on a distinguished road

I've had experience tuning and modding many of these cars, so I will add a few things.

Here is my repository of some of the 03-04s that I have dynotuned:
03-04 Cobra Dyno Results - VMP Tuning Message Board

There have been a few cars make very good power, but these were also on very good air days (high barometric pressure, decent temp, low humidity). One car with stock pulley, exhaust, intake, tune made 450RWHP.
Rick's 04 Cobra Vert 450rwhp/418rwtq - VMP Tuning Message Board
I've had several cars with the addition of a pulley make 470-480rwhp with the stock blower.
Jason's 03 Cobra with bolt ons 484RWHP/495RWTQ - VMP Tuning Message Board
Mike F's 03 Cobra 477rwhp/496rwtq - VMP Tuning Message Board

Originally Posted by KingChronic View Post
Cold air intake. this is another 15-30RWHP mod. a monster like itself needs to breath. the best you can buy for it is JLT, its proven to make the most power, and is relatively inexpensive.
From my experience, the JLTs have not made significantly more power over just a cone filter on the end of the stock MAF (like steeda, KN, C&L, etc.)

The JLT intake is a very tight fit.

The JLT also makes the car run slightly richer and the maf peg slightly sooner, due to the way they have you position the MAF sensor with a bend after it. This can be accounted for to an extent in mail order tunes.

Pulley. this is possibly the single best mod for this car, but still requires the other supporting mods, aswell as a tune for the added boost. at minimum you want to go with a 2.93 pulley which raises the boost approx. 4PSI. with a 2.93 belt slip really isnt much of a issue, but if you choose to go with the 2.80, or 2.76 you need to get a upper idler to help with belt wrap, so it doesn't slip. Billetflow is very highly recommended for both the pulley, and the upper idler.
For a stock blower car, I would just do a 2.7 or 2.8 upper pulley. For a ported blower car I really feel you need a lower+upper to get the most out of it.

Tuner. this is needed ad this point for the added boost, it will also require a tune, which a mail order tune from any of the top guys is fine for a pulley only, you wont benefit much from a dyno tune, and is 100% safe with mail order. Amazon Tuning Solution's in Anderson, SC comes very highly recommended for this task, these guys know what they're doing, and have done several. last time i checked, a SCT tuner, with a custom tune ran about $400.
On supercharged motors like the 03-04 cobra, getting the air/fuel ratio just right plays a big part in how much power the cars will make. A/F can not always be dialed in perfectly on a mail order tune. That's where a dyno-tune comes in.

At a recent dyno-day I ran and datalogged an 03-04 cobra that was tuned by its owner with sniper's DIY package. He had no wideband on the car. It had way too much timing (25-26*), the a/f was lean at low RPMs, rich at high RPMs, and the car only made 430rwhp with a ported blower (it should have made close to 500rwhp).

at this point you have added enough power to the factory under rated car that typically dyno's 355-395RWHP 100% stock to a 440-460RWHP beast that is feared by most on the street.
I would agree with that.

Also, like any supercharged car, the cobras are very sensitive to heat soak. When I have one on the dyno I have two 2000CFM carpet blower fans on the engine and HE.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM   #11
Regular

2003 Ford Mustang Cobra
9.94@140.25

F8LBITE is on a distinguished road

I can add to the JLT comments. Yes the JLT will make more power in real world circumstances. A dyno is one thing. An under the hood filter has higher IAT1's and IAT2's. I've datalogged on the street with a 9"-12" open and a 12" JLT in the Fender. Same day back to back. The 9" filter on said application would have IAT1's in the 110's and IAT2's would hit 200*plus. The 12" help some IAT1's in the 105*range and IAT2's would hit the high 170*-185* range. Then the 12" JLT in the Fender would have IAT1's in the mid 90*s and IAT2's were in the 145-150* range. Also on my 9 sec car with the JLT in 95* air and about 4000ft DA when I use my Ice box on a 1/4 mile pass my IAT2's hit a max of 133* on 28psi of boost. Under the hood would be cooking!

Also on an unported or ported eaton for drag racing purpose and lowest ET. A lower pulley is benifical. You will see anywhere from 25-50lbs of torque. You just have to cool down alittle more.
Quickest Pass In Factory Stock History 11.072 : Best MPH 121.01 : E7's
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #12

2003 Cobra

SVTRocket is on a distinguished road

The 2003/2004 SVT Cobra "Terminator"

The motor uses a forged crankshaft that is good to alteast 1500HP, SVT by "Manley" 4340 forged H beam rods with ARP hardware, and Mahle 8.5:1 CR pistons, all tucked into a strong cast iron block. The specs pretty much speak for themselves, this motor can go for over 100K miles and safely push 700RWHP. .
OK, 700 rwhp with over 100k miles people, how many of you out there can verify this loft claim? How about 600? 500?
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT

JayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to all

Don't forget the asshole factor goes up 150% the second you own one

12.25 @ 111 mph w/ CMS stage II cams
10.95 @ 119 mph NX 150 shot
6.96 @ 102 1/8th mile
Best 60', 1.43
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

03 Mach 1--~--1 of 2513
8.8 1/8 mile time

Black02GT is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Black02GT Send a message via Yahoo to Black02GT

well i can tell this thread was a bad idea. everyone has their own opinions. watch out king. but good job great descriptive right up. im not a cobra owner but appreciate the knowledge

Originally Posted by HMUSN it's like racing a mach 1 .. not untouchable but still gonna lose plain and simple no matter how you roll the dice.
SaleenWolf720: need horsepower?? no, you just need bald tires, then you'll really feel the power
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #15
B0B
Boost gets you laid

2001 Mustang GT
12.93@113.7 (on the 18's)

B0B is just really niceB0B is just really niceB0B is just really niceB0B is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to B0B

nice write up +rep.

anyways, another thing we should point out is some of the other differences the cobras have with the GT's since some people dont know..

obviously the hood, side skirts, front bumper, grill delete, and rear spoiler. are different

no, the cobra does NOT come with a cobra emblem in the grill. it comes with a pony.

the cobras have 13 in. rotors in the front with cobra brake calipers.

most of the other differences have already been thrown out by KC, such as iron block forged internals, T-56 tranny, eaton blower, and IRS.

this thread should become a sticky, and i'm going to make a new thread right now that goes over the differences between the 99/01 and the 03-04 cobras.

04 Mach 1. Whipple 2.3, T56, built motor. build in progress
'01 GT. Just a couple Bolt-ons. 0rwhp 0rwtq.
2003 Rubicon (wheelin rig)
2008 Silverado 4x4 (towin rig/road queen)

2009 KTM 450 XC-W (Brap Brap!)
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #16

2003 Cobra

SVTRocket is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JayC View Post
Don't forget the asshole factor goes up 150% the second you own one
If asking people people to comment on their personal experiences about something posted makes me an asshole on this site, then so be it. I've heard plenty of other people make warrantless claims and a misinformed decision can end up with a hatched motor.

There are plenty of articles about 500-700 hp Cobras, but the King is the first person I ever heard say 700 rwhp was safe with a high mileage motor. If he's an engineer, shop owner, or forum guru, I didn't mean to offend.

Last edited by SVTRocket; March 11th, 2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #17
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang GT

JayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to allJayC is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SVTRocket View Post
If asking people people to comment on their personal experiences about something posted makes me an asshole on this site, then so be it. I've heard plenty of other people make warrantless claims and a misinformed decision can end up with a hatched motor.

There are plenty of articles about 500-700 hp Cobras, but the King is the first person I ever heard say 700 rwhp was safe with a high mileage motor. If he's an engineer, shop owner, or forum guru, I didn't mean to offend.
No not at all. FYI "the King" just blew his 3rd motor so I doubt he should be the guy to give anyone advice. Please read.....http://http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/clubhouse/60052-god-d-mn-motherf-ck.html

12.25 @ 111 mph w/ CMS stage II cams
10.95 @ 119 mph NX 150 shot
6.96 @ 102 1/8th mile
Best 60', 1.43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/4v-svt/51447-official-03-04-cobra-terminator-facts-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
cheap cars that come from the factory with a supercharger? - Page 2 - Planes, Trains & Automobiles This thread Refback September 19th, 2013 02:25 AM
st or 2004 terminator this is the question? - Page 4 This thread Refback March 1st, 2013 10:53 PM
New S4 This thread Refback February 23rd, 2013 04:29 PM
Important: The Chat Thread 2 - Page 2669 - All Offtopic Forums This thread Refback April 12th, 2012 11:51 PM
Important: The Chat Thread 2 - Page 2669 - All Offtopic Forums This thread Refback April 12th, 2012 11:48 PM
What's so challenging about a Challenger? Cross off yet another Dodge - Page 11 - LS1TECH This thread Pingback October 20th, 2011 11:12 AM
The Official 03/04 Cobra This thread Refback January 7th, 2011 06:22 AM
The Official 03/04 Cobra This thread Refback December 5th, 2010 02:21 PM
Forged Crank - Mustang Forums at StangNet This thread Refback August 13th, 2010 04:07 PM
cheap cars that come from the factory with a supercharger? - Page 2 - Grasscity.com Forums This thread Pingback May 27th, 2010 01:35 AM
New S4 - Audizine Forums This thread Refback May 18th, 2009 04:06 PM
TL-S vs. Older Camaro - AcuraZine Community This thread Refback March 6th, 2009 04:39 AM
TL-S vs. Older Camaro - AcuraZine Community This thread Refback March 5th, 2009 08:25 PM
The Official 03/04 Cobra This thread Refback March 1st, 2009 09:38 PM
Car Thread! - Page 251 - Computer Forums This thread Refback November 25th, 2008 05:58 PM
Car Thread! - Page 251 - Computer Forums This thread Refback November 21st, 2008 07:11 PM
Car Thread! - Page 251 - Computer Forums This thread Refback November 21st, 2008 05:04 PM
Car Thread! - Page 251 - Computer Forums This thread Refback November 21st, 2008 12:43 PM
Car Thread! - Page 251 - Computer Forums This thread Refback November 21st, 2008 10:43 AM
Forged Crank - Mustang Forums at StangNet This thread Refback November 13th, 2008 09:26 AM
Forged Crank - Mustang Forums at StangNet This thread Refback February 15th, 2008 05:24 PM

Threads Similar to: The Official 03/04 Cobra "Terminator" Facts thread
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
08 Camaro "Official" Concept Photo's Leaked! 99mustang232 The Clubhouse 82 May 5th, 2008 11:54 AM
Official "My Car Looks Stupid With Snow Tires" Thread ModMustang97GT The Clubhouse 40 December 14th, 2007 10:06 AM
Official MM "eBay Wishlist" Thread mdvaldosta The Clubhouse 31 December 11th, 2007 08:24 PM
The "Make fun of 2000Si's Car" Thread. 2000Si The Clubhouse 80 June 16th, 2007 11:27 AM
Unofficial "Cars You Hate" thread MSO The Clubhouse 51 December 6th, 2006 01:29 PM