sct tuner - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old August 11th, 2008, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Regular

sct tuner

i talked to my local tuner saturday and they said they could turn my rear o2s off for me. Only problem is they want a buck fifty to do it. Does anyone that lives in the Atlanta metro area that would be so kind as to let me user theirs for that purpose? I gotta get emissions done soon and can't afford the $150. please help

MM Cobra Club #29

Who are you?????? Choose your destiny!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old August 11th, 2008, 02:27 AM
N/A 4v Guru

You can't borrow someone's tuner and turn yours off. Once a tuner is "married" to a car all they can do is read trouble codes with it. don't know how the shop plans to do it unless they are installing MIL eliminators. On top of that if you have an O/R mid pipe you won't pass emmission/inspection testing anyway.

Military Crew
U.S. Army Aviation
Apache's Lead The Way
post #3 of 11 Old August 11th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Depends on how the state is on emissions testing in the first place. Here in Illinois there is no visual, cars 96 and older just simply get plugged in and checked for a CEL. Everyone I know with cars roll up without cats and long tube headers and pass without any problems. Hell, if you throw a faulty cat code they just say, "fix this within a year" and ask you to come back; might be 6 months - I forget.

Just buy some MIL Eliminators online and call it a day. You can make them on your own but I never bothered since I haven't needed them. Definitely don't pay someone $150 to do this, you can buy them for like $60 (even though there's about 50 cents worth of parts in them.)
post #4 of 11 Old August 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc8224 View Post
You can't borrow someone's tuner and turn yours off. Once a tuner is "married" to a car all they can do is read trouble codes with it. don't know how the shop plans to do it unless they are installing MIL eliminators. On top of that if you have an O/R mid pipe you won't pass emmission/inspection testing anyway.
Yeah and thats crappy how they do that.... for $300+ it better work like a tool.

Makes me want to figure out a way around that limitation that I could publish somewhere....

Anyone else like myself into electronics? Basic assembler, fpga, embedded programming? They dont expect us car guys to be into computers. I bet its something simple without crypto or signature verification. A simple memory dump before and after might show how its mated where a reflash with the before snapshot might just reset it.

hmmm.
post #5 of 11 Old August 11th, 2008, 05:35 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeters97 View Post
Only problem is they want a buck fifty to do it.
Ouch! I do that stuff for free (for my customers), and have had all kinds of wild cars pass emissions.
Good luck hacking the Xcals. I don't think you will have much luck, unless you have some crazy hardware hacking skills. I believe they are locked to the vin number in the ecu.
post #6 of 11 Old August 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick Tuners View Post
Ouch! I do that stuff for free (for my customers), and have had all kinds of wild cars pass emissions.
Good luck hacking the Xcals. I don't think you will have much luck, unless you have some crazy hardware hacking skills. I believe they are locked to the vin number in the ecu.
It has to store that vin number somewhere in its memory....

I used to do embedded systems development with lots of hands on experience with micro-controllers and 6000-8000 series assembler. I transitioned to being a Network Engineer with a heavy focus on custom network management tools that I write for my day to day job.

I think if I got my hands on two of them, one mated and one not, that I could figure something out I might have to start looking for some on ebay.

Better yet if someone has one and could send some pics of the insides good enough to read the print on the chips....
post #7 of 11 Old August 11th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Enthusiast

they store to a prom chip and the have to be wrote to by their machine first it adds a id to the chip that matches the tuner.

1969 Early Bronco 3.5" lift 37" swampers
1969 Early Bronco 2" lift half cab
1979 2.3t Cobra
1997 Black Cobra
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/680999
http://www.myspace.com/beheivjer
post #8 of 11 Old August 11th, 2008, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Regular

i don't have o/r xpipe. i have hi flow bbk hpipe with cats. these guys told me they garantee the car will pass emissions once the rear o2s are turned off. they also said they will show me and give it to me in writing. i didn't know the tuners get married to the cars either, thats a new one for me thanx.

MM Cobra Club #29

post #9 of 11 Old August 12th, 2008, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Regular

not in georgia. they say you got a month to fix it.

MM Cobra Club #29

post #10 of 11 Old August 12th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Enthusiast

yeah tuners get married, and 150 is the price per hour for a professional tune so maybe he'd retune your car for you also?

post #11 of 11 Old August 12th, 2008, 11:28 AM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeters97 View Post
i don't have o/r xpipe. i have hi flow bbk hpipe with cats. these guys told me they garantee the car will pass emissions once the rear o2s are turned off. they also said they will show me and give it to me in writing.
Wow, your emissions must be much easier to pass. Having the O2s off will cause a failure for most places that hook up the OBDII monitor. Some places allow a couple tests to not be complete, so maybe thats how you get around it. I always leave them on if the car has cats. There is no reason to turn them off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page