max power on stock 03/04 cobra's pistons
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 4V / SVT

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (3) Thread Tools
Old September 17th, 2008, 02:13 PM   3 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Regular

03snakeminated is on a distinguished road

max power on stock 03/04 cobra's pistons

this dude that works at murays speed and custom, told me the pistons in our cars are only good to about 550-600 rwhp, he supposedly "knows" about our cars but i highly doubt his statement is true, what i think as long as we do the head cooling mod, heat exchanger, this blocks could handle more than that maybe up to 700, need your guys input on this one
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 17th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #2
MM's Orangest

2004 Mach 1 Mustang

Mach Boy has a spectacular aura aboutMach Boy has a spectacular aura about

I'm pretty sure they can handle more than 600. People throw all sorts of boost at those engines and they just don't bust.

Looking for 03/04 4V ABS Wiring Harness Connector/Incomplete Wiring Harness (with ABS connector)
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #3
November 08 ROTM

2000 3.8L Mustang
195.9/220.8 hp/tq N/A

buddyantunez1 will become famous soon enoughbuddyantunez1 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to buddyantunez1

ive seen stock motors handle 1000+rwhp. check out hellion's system; twin chrged termi's

~Nitrous is like a Hot Girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences~
Old September 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #4
N/A 4v Guru

2003 Mach 1

Doc8224 is a jewel in the roughDoc8224 is a jewel in the roughDoc8224 is a jewel in the rough

Yea the short block is good past a thousand. So is the 02-04 lightnings

Military Crew
U.S. Army Aviation
Apache's Lead The Way
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Genibus Nitito Canus

2009 Ford Mustang GT

HBK_2007 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to HBK_2007

just about any ford factory FI cars are damn near bulliet proof as far as the shortblock goes
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #6
Regular

1000 with stock internals ^^ i think that's exaggerating, just my oppinion, i have heard 700rwhp maybe 800 pushing the envelope and with meth
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #7
Forever in our hearts travis_afx

2003 SVT Cobra

rk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of lightrk_2000_Z/28 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 03snakeminated View Post
1000 with stock internals ^^ i think that's exaggerating, just my oppinion, i have heard 700rwhp maybe 800 pushing the envelope and with meth
No really. There are guys making 900+ to the rear wheels just by pulling the blower and adding a twin turbo kit. See the post below this that I quoted. These motors will hold quite a bit as long as you run the right fuel and have it tuned properly.
Originally Posted by buddyantunez1 View Post
ive seen stock motors handle 1000+rwhp. check out hellion's system; twin chrged termi's

03 Cobra-Slow
02 SS, 00 Z/28-Gone

Rest In Peace Travis Billings
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #8
mm's nitrous mod

2000 mustang gt
11.79@115.83 (old set up)

SWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud ofSWEET2KSTANG has much to be proud of

they will handle a lot, it also depends on set up and tune as well. the compound boost termi was hitting 1100+rwhp on stock bottome end, but that is a totally different set up. the positve displacement blower adds stress to the rotating assembly and drag on the motor, it makes around equivilent power thru the motor just a little less to the wheels.

project warhorse under construction
wagon burner built! track times coming soon!(04 lightning)

being built by MP2 Performance
follow shop builds on facebook at: MP2 Performance
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #9
November 08 ROTM

2000 3.8L Mustang
195.9/220.8 hp/tq N/A

buddyantunez1 will become famous soon enoughbuddyantunez1 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to buddyantunez1

948rwhp on a stock motor

~Nitrous is like a Hot Girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences~
Old September 18th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #10
N/A 4v Guru

2003 Mach 1

Doc8224 is a jewel in the roughDoc8224 is a jewel in the roughDoc8224 is a jewel in the rough

Why would it be exagerating? It is all forged and an iron block. You can't improve on it very much.

Military Crew
U.S. Army Aviation
Apache's Lead The Way
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #11
Regular

awesome, stock pistons and reliable setups?
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #12
Regular

Derek@DRI is on a distinguished road

No, the guy at Murrays Speed & Custom is correct. The safest HP level you want to take an 03-04 Cobra is 600-700rwhp. Have Cobra's made more than that on a stock motor? Yes, is it safe and reliable? NO. The Crank and Connecting Rods are good (Forged Steel Crank and Manley H-Beam Rods), the pistons are not. You will find way more stories of failed Cobras than of not past the 700rwhp level. I know because I have seen it happen from customers first hand. My 03 Cobra last at 600rwhp, unfortunately I developed the infamous tick in the cylinder head so I rebuilt my motor since it was already out. Anyhow if you are looking to make over 700rwhp definitely have a back up plan.
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

97 Cobra

acidtonic will become famous soon enoughacidtonic will become famous soon enough

Dont forget we are talking about the block here and not the other things that might need to be upgraded to achieve these higher numbers....

If you do nothing but throw lots of boost you will break something because for instance the fuel system needs upgraded. Leaning out might be the reason some have thrown rods when in fact the block would have been fine if the fuel kept up.

Better cooling would be needed at higher numbers, better spark, better tune, different intake or maf upgrades for crazy numbers.

But the block would take it stock if the proper systems keeping the motor alive and running would be at the correct upgrade level.

Just something to keep in mind since I'm seeing generic answers.....
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #14
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Mickey is a splendid one to beholdMickey is a splendid one to beholdMickey is a splendid one to beholdMickey is a splendid one to beholdMickey is a splendid one to beholdMickey is a splendid one to behold

its not just about power...its about power delivery as well. With that, I have seen multiple 800+rwhp cobras on the stock block

Cammed, Slammed, and Blown
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #15
Regular

what i meant initially is hp capabilities before going inside the engine, i know about upgrading the fuel system,the tune and so forth, head cooling mod is a must i heard, but other than that engine stock internals are good up to??
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #16
Regular

the reason i am asking this is because my goal would be one day to be in the 650-800rwhp range and be able to run mid to low 10's at minimum
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #17
Hardcore Enthusiast

97 Cobra

acidtonic will become famous soon enoughacidtonic will become famous soon enough

what i meant initially is hp capabilities before going inside the engine, i know about upgrading the fuel system,the tune and so forth, head cooling mod is a must i heard, but other than that engine stock internals are good up to??
You said the block, not the stock fuel/cooling setup on the car

The block can take more than some of the other stock components which is why I tried to be more specific since other people would have failure without some other upgrades which would not be the correct answer for just the block.

Those people saying it breaks at Xrwhp would be wrong if it broke because the fuel leaned out for instance.....

Just trying to get you a more accurate answer my friend
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #18
Regular

thanks, so whats your take on this? #'s
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

97 Cobra

thanks, so whats your take on this? #'s
Well mine is a 97 but I've also heard 1000rwhp is easily attainable on the stock block with the proper upgrades. I think that the block will hold that without blowing up but there will be greatly accelerated wear.

What you are most likely more interested in would be the 700-800rwhp figure where it seems to last much longer between rebuilds.

I've seen a mix of both though in terms of reliability. Some running 1100rwhp that lasted 3+ years and those running 500rwhp that lasted 4 months.

I think it really depends on how exact and skillful the builder was and perhaps the difference in quality from one internal part to the next. All companies have a weak part come off the assembly line here and there.... Hopefully that can be found before it leaves but sometimes it doesnt. Same reason a guy found a complete chicken head in his Mc Ds bag... To think it got out of the factory like that, into the deep fryer like that, dumped out into the bin like that, and placed into the food bag without getting caught.

We like to think quality control catches something that passes through many hands before the customer but like everything shit happens.

The quality of your tuner/builder and luck with your internal part quality really determines what you will get. No broad answer really. Ask others before throwing 1000rwhp at it and complaining to me when it breaks.... Do your homework.
Old September 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #20

2010 Mustang GT
UNK

2Slow4U is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 2Slow4U Send a message via Yahoo to 2Slow4U

My 2 cents....your goal is mid to low 10's. This is an easy task. My 03 Cobra Dynos at 545 to the wheels running 10:84 at rockingham. The engine had 24000 miles and the short block is all original. Good luck....But the Cobra short blocks are VERY durable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/4v-svt/89271-max-power-stock-03-04-cobras-pistons.html
Posted By For Type Date
Stock piston info links - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com This thread Refback January 31st, 2013 09:16 PM
Stock piston info links - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com This thread Refback February 16th, 2010 11:42 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback July 18th, 2009 03:28 AM

Threads Similar to: max power on stock 03/04 cobra's pistons
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Max power through a stock GT box Lazyracer 2005 - 2010 13 November 12th, 2010 09:46 AM
max horse power mannymustang V6 Mustangs 16 April 17th, 2008 11:07 AM
Stock pistons steve_metz@yousq.net 5.0 Mustangs 13 March 24th, 2008 01:36 AM
Max Power of an N/A 2V 4.6l? MasterOfEvil 99 - 04 62 April 29th, 2007 02:30 PM
Max power Racerchik02 V6 Mustangs 27 April 28th, 2007 07:19 AM