Modded Mustang Forums banner

347 timing and carb

21K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  PANAMACITYMUSTANG 
#1 ·
i built a 347 stroker does anyone know what the timing should be around.
would a holley 670 carb be enough cfm.
the cam is a .498 lift flat tappat.
i have a problem with backfire through the carb

#4 ·
sounds like some one may not have broke the cam in right...uh-ohhhh.. I like about 16-17 initial and 34 total, all in at 3,000. It really depends on the engine where it will make the most power, but you should be able to set the dizzy at 16* and it should run good.

#23 ·
It could be a broken valve spring, obviously a wiped cam lobe, or just a sticking valve. I just replaced the cam in a 350 a couple days ago because the kid swapped it out and did not break it in right. He thought he did, but it had 2 lobes wiped out. Turns out he over torqued the rockers, and didn't pull the inner valve springs out for break in, then ran it at 2000 for 20 minutes, and it started running like **** right after the break in run. Pull the valve covers and fire it up. I tried just spinning it over, and they all looked to be moving fine at first, but after I started it, I saw 2 that were just kinda vibrating. The only other thing it could be is running way lean. I hope it is simple. but it never is....is it?

#25 ·
i'm pretty sure i broke the cam in right. i think i have to reset my rockers they sound just a little loose. i have pretty good power out of the car. i just found my cam card it says that base timing should be set at 6* i set it today at 16* and it seemed pretty good exept for the popping. i'm going to take the valve covers off and watch the rockers to see if they all are moving correctly. does 6* sound right

#26 ·
I don't see how a cam card can say what the ignition timing should be set at. There are way to many variables involved. I've never seen a cam card that mentions anything about ignition timing. Are you sure its ignition timing that the cam card is talking about??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.