Modded Mustang Forums banner

How to replace the Rear Main Seal

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SALIV8 
#1 ·
How do i replace the rear main seal and how do I take the old one out? Do I have to use the special installer tool? Can I do it with the engine and tranny in the car? What kind of seal should I buy to stop this from happining for a longgg time.

#2 ·
hey. pretty big job, but here goes- you have to remove the trans. you have to remove the flywheel or clutch, the rear plate. when the seal is exposed, thread three or four screws into the seal itself and pull it out evenly across the screws and be gentle enough not to scratch the crank seal surface. clean it out very good, lube the outer face of the seal and innerface, and tap the seal back in with a socket of that size. its a pain in the ass, me and my buddy replaced his awhile ago. hope it helps

#4 ·
shawn91stang said:
with the 3 or 4 screws how do you place them and how does it pull out and are they so skinny that the only thing it hits is the gasket? By the way thanks for the reply
First see exactly where the seal is sitting now.
Use small sheet metal screws with apoint. Punch the holes in the seal with an punch then thread the screws in the holes. Between the bore and block/oil pan and be careful not to scratch anything. U only want the screws in the seal. not touching anything else. after u pull the old seal out, check all surfaces for nicks, etc. clean them too. oil on the outside of new seal and grease inside. I'm not sure which grease to use, maybe oil would work too. press it back in, and press it in squarely. hope it helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.