1988 Ford Mustang w/ Explorer Intake
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #1

1988 Ford Mustang
Stock

rrewati is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rrewati

1988 Ford Mustang w/ Explorer Intake

I read the article on swapping a Explorer Intake in a 1987 to 1995 Mustang. Since its significantly cheaper than other intakes and still provides a decent amount of power I am planning on purchasing the complete intake (upper and lower) from a 1996 Explorer. However, what throttle body would I need to use? How would I need to adjust or alter the throttle body?

The opening of the Explorer upper intake is 67mm. In that case, would it be wise to purchase a 65mm throttle body? Or should I purchase a 70mm and port the opening to accept this size? Is there a significant loss of TORQUE with the larger throttle body? While I am hunting to generate cheap horsepower, because the car would be my daily autocrosser (NYC streets and import hunter) I do not want to lose ANY torque at all.

Concerning my fear of loss of torque, what suggestions do you have for exhaust mid - pipe? I plan on installing GT40P cylinder heads and FRPP Shorty Headers (no L/T version unless anyone knows a compatible one). But to compliment my intake setup, which would be the best choice - an X-Pipe or an H-Pipe? I realize that there is a rather simple conclusion that X-Pipes provide horses (free flowing) and the H-Pipe helps create more torque, but is that true?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Regular

1997 Mustang GT
N/A

samuel642000 is on a distinguished road

i have an explorer and i think it has a 70mm on it with no probs pleny of torque, but i have 4:10's as well

MILITARY CREW AT3
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 1988 Ford Mustang w/ Explorer Intake
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ford explorer axle shafts in mustang PANAMACITYMUSTANG 5.0 Mustangs 13 December 25th, 2008 09:24 PM
1988 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Mustang Problems ridebmxfbm 5.0 Mustangs 18 May 14th, 2007 01:35 PM
Ford explorer head and intake nasty92LX 5.0 Mustangs 16 March 22nd, 2007 11:53 AM
1988 Ford Mustang, Wats It Worth? wannab5.0 5.0 Mustangs 4 October 30th, 2006 02:07 PM