headlight problems : no low beam
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #1

1990 vert. gt
unknown@????

5.0funadict is on a distinguished road
Question

headlight problems : no low beam

One evening, I dropped a glass bottle in front of my fox in the driveway. While cleaning it up, I decided to turn on my 90 gt for the use of light, and having just gotten new pipes installed, I was in no real hurry to shut her off. While picking up the broken shards and listening to my fox growl, everything went dark. The idle was fine, radio was still playing, and the ambers were still on.I turned the high beams on and they worked fine,as well did the parking lights.I've since changed the bulbs, fuses,and even had the switch inspected for damage. So far the only thing Ive had success with is wasting money, I still have no low beams. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing and if so what did you do to correct it. Its kind of annoying.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Headlight switch or the multifucntion switch and connectors are common problems. Bust out the volt meter or test light and some diagram and narrow it down.

Mustang FAQ - Engine Information
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Regular

1989 Mustang GT 5.0L H.O.

TN.Frank is on a distinguished road

After I took the dash out of my GT I didn't have any lights at all when I re-installed it. Found out that they're plugged into the turn signal switch, man, I felt stupid for not pluggin' em' back up. Anyway, you might check the turn signal switch too.
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #4

1990 vert. gt
unknown@????

Thumbs down

okay!?

I tried the turn signal switch, that was fine. thing is they tested it with a meter at a local shop, it too was supposedly fine. I'm so lost at this point.
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #5

1990 vert. gt
unknown@????

oh, i guess no one else has had lighting issuse? If so HELP! I really need it on this one.
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #6
MM Fanatic

SVTfocus, F250

mxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nice

try to wiggle the turn signal switch around a bit and see if they flick on at all.
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #7

1990 vert. gt
unknown@????

Lightbulb

thanks;but, I've tried that. I'm really at a loss for ideas here.
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #8

1990 vert. gt
unknown@????

Smile

cool

Originally Posted by nolife View Post
Headlight switch or the multifucntion switch and connectors are common problems. Bust out the volt meter or test light and some diagram and narrow it down.

Mustang FAQ - Engine Information
where exactly is the "multifunction switch" located. Is that the same thing as the wiper/high beam switch, 'cuz if so, it works fine.confused:

Last edited by 5.0funadict; April 10th, 2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #9
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 5.0funadict View Post
where exactly is the "multifunction switch" located. Is that the same thing as the wiper/high beam switch, 'cuz if so, it works fine.confused:

Yes that is the multifucntion switch but what do you mean it works fine? Did you test it for voltage for the low beams? Unless you did, you don't know that for sure because your low beams are not working. If you did get voltage for the low beams there, keep going working your way to the headlights until you find the problem. Keep in mind that those connectors and wiring pigtails get corroded over time and develop burns and bad connections.

You may be able to find full wiring diagrams online somewhere like Autozone, Haynes or Chiltons manual, public library, or use the Tmoss link I already showed or someone else will post a link, but there is no other way to troubleshoot that unless you trace out the whole path with a test light, really.
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #10

1990 vert. gt
unknown@????

well, thanx. I will let you know of my progress, I appreciate your insight.
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:33 PM   #11

1992 Notch

notch92 is on a distinguished road

was this issue ever resolved? i have the same problem
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #12

1993 Reef blue GT

timalev is on a distinguished road

I have just the opposite. Lows..no highs.
Old September 14th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #13
MM Fanatic

SVTfocus, F250

mxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nice

Garuntee it's the multi function switch(turn signal/hig-low beams) expensive to replace if you buy new. And if you have factory fogs, without the fog light fix, it's going to happen again. No doubt.
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #14
Regular

1993 Mustang GT

Firaga is on a distinguished road

What is the fog light fix? I use my fogs all the time.

AEM Brute Force intake, BBK 75mm TB/EGR, C&L 75mm MAF, Trick Flow Street Upper/Lower, Custom exhaust with Dynomax SuperTurbos, Tokico Rear Shocks
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #15
MM Fanatic

SVTfocus, F250

Originally Posted by Firaga View Post
What is the fog light fix? I use my fogs all the time.
i was going to post the link last night, but i was drunk, and on my iphone.

this not only saves your mulitfunction switch from melting and failing, but it lets you keep the fogs on without the headlights on, and they stay on with the high beams.

Mustang GT Fog Light Fix
Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:54 PM   #16

1987 Mustang GT 5.0

87GTConvertDavis is on a distinguished road

Well did you ever get the low beams to work? I had a similar issue when I purchased a 1987 Convertible Mustang GT except that all of the pigtails were melted together behind the headlight switch and dimmer panel switch so, non of the lights worked except the brake lights. So, I ended up doing the fog light fix, installing a new headlight fog light harness plus headlight switch pigtails, fog light pigtails, and dimmer panel pigtails. When I was done the only lights that did not work were the low beams.

So, after that I replaced the headlight fog light switch with no success. I ended up running a toggle switch that I purchased from radio shack.

All I did was splice into the two red/black wires from the multifunction switch pigtails using T-Taps. Twisted the two wire ends together and then twisted them to the wire supply from the toggle switch. (Yes, I soldered and used heat shrink)

Then I ran a wire directly from the batter positive terminal to a fuse holder and then to the toggle switch.

Then I connected an earth wire from the 30 amp toggle switch to the frame. Reconnected the battery and the lights work.

Last edited by 87GTConvertDavis; October 23rd, 2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:18 AM   #17
MM Fanatic

SVTfocus, F250

Originally Posted by 87GTConvertDavis View Post
Well did you ever get the low beams to work? I had a similar issue when I purchased a 1987 Convertible Mustang GT except that all of the pigtails were melted together behind the headlight switch and dimmer panel switch so, non of the lights worked except the brake lights. So, I ended up doing the fog light fix, installing a new headlight fog light harness plus headlight switch pigtails, fog light pigtails, and dimmer panel pigtails. When I was done the only lights that did not work were the low beams.

So, after that I replaced the headlight fog light switch with no success. I ended up running a toggle switch that I purchased from radio shack.

All I did was splice into the two red/black wires from the multifunction switch pigtails using T-Taps. Twisted the two wire ends together and then twisted them to the wire supply from the toggle switch. (Yes, I soldered and used heat shrink)

Then I ran a wire directly from the batter positive terminal to a fuse holder and then to the toggle switch.

Then I connected an earth wire from the 30 amp toggle switch to the frame. Reconnected the battery and the lights work.
did you replace the mutlifunction switch? even though the pigtails are melted chances are they still function just fine, its the internal contacts of the multifunction switch that get burnt out and stop working. mainly because running the foglights through the switch is what causes it to over heat and fail.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM   #18

1987 Mustang GT 5.0

87GTConvertDavis is on a distinguished road

The multifunction switch controls turn signal, high beam and wipers. The Headlight Fog light switch is to the left of the instrument cluster. The turn signal switch (control arm) is on the steering column. It's also called the multifunction switch. In my last post I said that I replaced it and the multifunction switch pigtails are not melted. Only the headlight fog light, dimmer panel switch wires and some of the wires behind the fuse box were melted when I made the repair and rebuild.

Last edited by 87GTConvertDavis; October 25th, 2010 at 03:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: headlight problems : no low beam
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bi-xenon HID headlights- high/low beam question LilPoni11 Visual 43 January 8th, 2009 03:06 AM
Headlight Problems! Urgent! WhtStang00 V6 Mustangs 10 January 6th, 2009 11:41 PM
how do i get the headlight switch, high beam switch, emergency switch etc out? 91cobra5.0 5.0 Mustangs 0 March 19th, 2008 10:39 PM
HID Dual Beam Headlight? Kinshen Audio/Video 3 January 12th, 2008 02:15 AM
HID Dual Beam Headlight? Kinshen Visual 5 January 5th, 2008 08:35 PM