Car is backfiring
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Sheriff Metal Face

1990 Notch 5.0

Chris951 is a jewel in the roughChris951 is a jewel in the roughChris951 is a jewel in the roughChris951 is a jewel in the rough

Car is backfiring

So ever since I got my car it will backfire through the exhaust. It only does it on WOT runs when I'm shifting around 5k. Otherwise it won't do it if I keep the rpms down. But the past couple months now it has been backfiring through the intake when its cold. It will only do it once in a while though like once a week and when it happens it will only do it once maybe twice. I know I need to set my timing but could I be running lean or rich? I can't really tell myself because I have an o/r h-pipe and dumps so it always smells. I was thinking about getting an adjustible fpr. Would that help along with setting my timing?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

SVTfocus, F250

mxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nicemxnate116 is just really nice

depends on what your fuel pressure is now. if its high or low an adjustable could help, but so could a new stock one.

i put a new fpr on mine and it ran amazing for two weeks then slowly went back to shit(popping through the intake all the time). i need to check my fuel pressure again to see if it crapped out again.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #3
!oznog.rd

1988 GT VERT (Sold :(
'Cause gonzo's got a... GRRRREAT ASS!

dr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond repute

How long has it been since you had a tune up? Any exhaust leaks or loose header bolts?
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Regular

1987 Mustang GT 5.0 5spd

Ntv69 is on a distinguished road

Subscribing here, i have same problem with my 87. You still runnin speed density system? Mine also backfires around 5k also when about to shift. I too have a off road x pipe, and have to real smelly exhaust and fuel smell. I bought plugs,rotor,cap,wires,k&n filter cleaner. Gonna tune up, sdjust timing, change oil, flush rad clean up my dirty k&n. Im hoping if i put on a short belt and eliminate the smog pump it will help with the exhaust smell.
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #5
Sheriff Metal Face

1990 Notch 5.0

Chris951 is a jewel in the roughChris951 is a jewel in the roughChris951 is a jewel in the roughChris951 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dr.gonzo View Post
How long has it been since you had a tune up? Any exhaust leaks or loose header bolts?
Actually yeah, Both the bolts came out at one point on the #4 cylinder and I think the bolt holes in the head are warped because I cannot get new ones in.

And I did a tune up when I bought it in september. New plugs, cap and rotor, cleaned the TB and iac, etc. I've also seafoamed it like 3 times lol.

Last edited by Chris951; May 8th, 2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #6

1991 Mustang LX 5.0
14.001@99

Jackson is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Chris951 View Post
So ever since I got my car it will backfire through the exhaust. It only does it on WOT runs when I'm shifting around 5k. Otherwise it won't do it if I keep the rpms down.
My car did the same thing after I installed my O/R H pipe until I removed my smog pump. Im not exactly sure why it made a difference (I have a few theories but Im not a mechanic so i can only guess) but as soon as i yanked the pump, put on a short belt and capped the smog stuff it quit backfiring...
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Sheriff Metal Face

1990 Notch 5.0

Originally Posted by Ntv69 View Post
Subscribing here, i have same problem with my 87. You still runnin speed density system? Mine also backfires around 5k also when about to shift. I too have a off road x pipe, and have to real smelly exhaust and fuel smell. I bought plugs,rotor,cap,wires,k&n filter cleaner. Gonna tune up, sdjust timing, change oil, flush rad clean up my dirty k&n. Im hoping if i put on a short belt and eliminate the smog pump it will help with the exhaust smell.
Yeah I'm still on SD. Sounds like we have a similar problem because mine backfires right in the middle of shifts at 5k.
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #8
Sheriff Metal Face

1990 Notch 5.0

Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
My car did the same thing after I installed my O/R H pipe until I removed my smog pump. Im not exactly sure why it made a difference (I have a few theories but Im not a mechanic so i can only guess) but as soon as i yanked the pump, put on a short belt and capped the smog stuff it quit backfiring...
I'm currently running a short belt. My smog pump seized a few months ago.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #9
Regular

PolishSasquatch is on a distinguished road

im getting backfriing over 4000 rpm. but im running an 85 carbed motor, with no exhaust on it ( open pipe after the car, its only temporary untill i can afford mufflers). Could it be a lean out backfire?
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Regular

1987 Mustang GT 5.0 5spd

I'm currently running a short belt. My smog pump seized a few months ago.
What size belt? power steering? i assume no ac with the t-roofs

Last edited by Ntv69; May 8th, 2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #11
Sheriff Metal Face

1990 Notch 5.0

Originally Posted by Ntv69 View Post
What size belt? power steering? i assume no ac with the t-roofs
83.5" belt. I have power steering and ac but the ac will be gone soon because it doesn't work
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #12
Banned

93mustank will become famous soon enough93mustank will become famous soon enough

I know I need to set my timing but
hmmmmmmm......
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #13
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

gaymaro
12.97 @140mph

flattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura aboutflattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura about

When my car pops through the intake it's due to lean conditions. Often low fuel pressure. It did it more often in the winter now. If you have an adjustable fpr make sure that once it's adjusted, that the nut is tight.

I had m y car tuned on 40psi or so. When back for a slight retune and it was going leaner and leaner. Turned out my fpr nut was loose and it was slowly dropping over the course of a month.
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #14
Regular

hopper is on a distinguished road

yes ther are AC on t-tops,
Also i had the same prob with the back fireing although it was a carbed engine.
this would only happen under load at 5K.
found out there was a very very very small crack in the boot of one of the plug wires, onced changes no problems any longer
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #15
Sheriff Metal Face

1990 Notch 5.0

Originally Posted by flattusmaximus78 View Post
When my car pops through the intake it's due to lean conditions. Often low fuel pressure. It did it more often in the winter now. If you have an adjustable fpr make sure that once it's adjusted, that the nut is tight.

I had m y car tuned on 40psi or so. When back for a slight retune and it was going leaner and leaner. Turned out my fpr nut was loose and it was slowly dropping over the course of a month.
I'm gonna get an adjustable fpr when i can get some money.
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #16
Regular

1987 Mustang GT 5.0 5spd

Does a kirban adj regulator attach right too stock fuel rails? Anyone runni a pressure gauge beside it??
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #17
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

gaymaro
12.97 @140mph

flattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura aboutflattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura about

kirban bolts right in on the rail. I put my guage on the rail were the shrader vavle went. I just put a nos fitting in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Car is backfiring
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backfiring ...again Somebody Help! blakehunter316 5.0 Mustangs 1 April 6th, 2008 11:47 PM
Intake Backfiring 90mustang 5.0 Mustangs 10 November 12th, 2007 10:17 PM
My Stang is backfiring! WombRaider 5.0 Mustangs 10 October 30th, 2007 09:15 PM
Backfiring 00vabchgt General Tech 6 June 19th, 2007 08:56 PM
Backfiring 00vabchgt 99 - 04 0 May 24th, 2007 04:26 PM