Modded Mustang Forums banner

cutting out when i hammer on it

4K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  87FloridaGT 
#1 ·
i got a 92 gt and im having trouble with it cutting out. when i just take off slow it runs just fine...but when i put it to the floor it cuts out real bad and just runs like ****....help me out fellas

#3 ·
how good of shape is the car in? has it been yours? ive seen a few people has neoprene hose in the fuel line before and it gets weaked by the gas and when in full throttle it pinches itself off and closes the line. its a long shot but i wanna give you the non obvious things to look at. hope it helps someone sometime!

#13 ·
Don't just get a new one. Check the voltage of the one you have, it may just need to be adjusted.

#12 ·
check your timing as well

#14 ·
#15 ·
That is only checking in the closed position. He will need to check it thru out the travel of the throttle body to see if there are any spikes or drops in voltage. The voltage should rise smoothly as the throttle is opened.

#16 ·
i just had the same problem.
i have a 90 gt and when i got on it around 4000 rpms it would cut out

and its not ur fuel!! i replaced my injectors ,regulator , filter , and pump!! and still did it!
it ur TFI ingition control module. its that lil box thats mounted on the side of ur distrbutor! replace that and ull be good

#18 ·
That is a prime example why to diagnose to repair instead of repair to diagnose. When you start throwing parts at something all you do is throw money out the window.

With that being said, there is no way you can diagnose his problem over the internet and know for sure that the TFI module is his problem. You might be able to offer it as a possible cause but that is it. Things need to be tested.

#17 ·
MY suggestions is to go through, and check all of your grounds, make sure they are all getting a good connection.

those are the symptoms i had when a few grounds were in need of repair.

also watch your spark plug wires at night someplace its pitch black.

you should give your eyes a few minutes to adjust to the dark, i could see FAINT arcs when nobody else that was around could see them. it didn't help that they were intermentan either hah.

#19 ·
aight well ill try those things...also i just figured out it only does it once the car is nice and warmed up and about 30-45 minutes into driving it...then it will start to cut out when i get on it..sometimes it comes out of it and runs good but most of the time it continues to do it...so i dont know if that changes things or not...

#20 ·
thats same thing that was happening to my car!!! when it was a lil cold it ran good!! but after 25-35 min it would cut out! i promise you thats what it is!!! this just happen to me last week!!! and it was all the same thing thats ur saying!!! i have a fourm on stang.net saying what happened!!!

and alot of guys said the same things all these others guys are saying and that wasent the problem!! the module is 39.99 at autozone just try it! put it on and take it down the street it will run like a champ!!!

ur car is fine u just need that man!!

#24 ·
yeah you cant just listen to just anybody on this forum...especially just anybody with 6 posts.....i can tell you for sure always listen to 1slo5.0 for sure....there are others that always provide good info but i dont wanna start listing people and leave some out and afend someone

#29 ·
Have you checked your plugs and wires? I know its kinda obvious but I had a little of the same problem and it was because one of my wire boots was touching the headers and it melted the wire boot. For some reason it didnt do it if I treated the car nice but when I hit the gas pretty good it would cut out. It also only did it after the car warmed up for about 20 minutes
Probably not the issue but its really quick and easy to check this out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.