A/C Line Condensation??
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:24 AM   #1
Regular

1991 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

91Stang5.0 is on a distinguished road

A/C Line Condensation??

My mustang has a/c and it was upgraded I guess to the new refridgerant((not sure), but I've noticed after hearing hisses that my A/C lines are condensating. Why would they do this? Is this normal? I wouldn't think so since it's dripping some on my headers on both sides. It condensates from basically the compressor to the little black tank at the passenger side fire wall. It works up a nice sweat. All in all the A/C still blows hella cold.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM   #2
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Normal, for cold lines to form condensation but... from the factory, that hose has some thick foam insulation over it limit the condensation, does yours? If not, I'd get some.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM   #3
MM Fanatic

95 Mustang GT
depends how many people are pushing

95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice

+1 my ac drips like a faucet, putting the foam on it will help and also keep it from freezing up, which mine did a few times if it was hot and I was running the ac for a long time it would freeze up and I would have to turn it off for a few to thaw out and work again.

People should think about boarding up their glass house before starting a rock fight!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Regular

1991 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

mine would do it whether or not the A/C is running.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:53 PM   #5
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

The only way to get condensation is for the lines to be cold and the only way they will be cold is with the compressor running. Maybe your knob is in the windshield or the mix position? That runs the compressor automatically above a certain outside temperature (like 50F something I believe). Or your AC clutch is stuck or something.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Regular

1991 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

I rarely turn on the A/C. All the knobs are off. I do notice the clutch rotating with the compressor when the engine is on and the A/C is "Off". I thought the clutch is supposed to rotate only when the A/C is turned on. Even through all of this, if I turn the A/C on. The air it blows is cold....
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:17 PM   #7
MM Fanatic

95 Mustang GT
depends how many people are pushing

95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice

sounds like your switch is not working or like the clutch is locked up, you definately shouldnt get condensation without the air on.....and it shouldnt be turning on the compressor....

People should think about boarding up their glass house before starting a rock fight!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Regular

1991 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

could this be the cause of my engine running hotter than normal??? because I did notice the water temperature didn't change with the A/C being off or on.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM   #9
MM Fanatic

Codeman will become famous soon enoughCodeman will become famous soon enough

Ok the condensation is normal especially when you are in hot conditions because the a/c lines will get cold and the hot heat will heat them. As far as the engine running hotter that should not have anything to do with the a/c. On your clutch, is the clutch actually engaged, or is it just the pulley spinning? You might want to check to see if your bearing on your pulley is worn, that may be why your clutch is staying on if it is, or your air gap between the clutch and pulley is non existant so you may need to add shims.

UDP, CAI, True Duals, LTs, 91 Tune from TT, 3.73 gears, Tlok,Windstar upper, GT TB, Ported lower, Comp 218/226 cam, FRPP C Springs, J&M LCA, Tokico Blue shocks and struts, and J&M Full Length Subframe Connectors
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:59 PM   #10
Regular

1991 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
Ok the condensation is normal especially when you are in hot conditions because the a/c lines will get cold and the hot heat will heat them. As far as the engine running hotter that should not have anything to do with the a/c. On your clutch, is the clutch actually engaged, or is it just the pulley spinning? You might want to check to see if your bearing on your pulley is worn, that may be why your clutch is staying on if it is, or your air gap between the clutch and pulley is non existant so you may need to add shims.
Yea the clutch is engaged.....It's not the compressor or the clutch. I was messing around with my electric fan and turned it off and the clutch stopped spinning with the rest of the engine. I guess the idiot I bought the car from wired some wires wrong..
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:19 PM   #11
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

It is good for the fan to be running anytime the compressor is running and some fans have a built in input for the AC compressor signal. It seems your setup is the other way around, funny
It sounds like you caught it in time before the compressor crapped out. The pressure builds up and the compressor normally cycles on pressure, I doubt yours had the ability to cycle unless your rad fan was off.

Last edited by nolife; October 22nd, 2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #12
Regular

1991 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

Fix my issue! it was the damn wire from the fan that goes to the a/c compressor. The damn thing was wired wrong. So since I have re wired, the a/c clutch doesn't turn and the engine runs quite cooler. It sits right at half way now on the stock gauge. The A/C lines also do not condensate anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: A/C Line Condensation??
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HL Condensation... justinsstang V6 Mustangs 12 February 12th, 2009 01:23 PM
Condensation in headlights. MustanG_guy17 V6 Mustangs 9 June 25th, 2007 04:14 PM
condensation in my headlight coreysr5 Visual 6 February 11th, 2007 11:05 PM
Headlight Condensation crossfire876 99 - 04 6 February 6th, 2007 12:25 AM
A/C Condensation crazyballa4eva V6 Mustangs 2 September 21st, 2006 12:15 AM