PCV system question - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old February 9th, 2010, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Come at me bro
 
302Army187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 3,135
     
iTrader: 0 reviews
PCV system question

About to button my motor back up.

Made the mistake of buying valve covers with a spot for a PCV valve on the driverside valvecover.....

So it would be simple, and cost a hole $3 to run a hose from the upper intake to a pcv in the valve cover, and run my normal pcv to the back of the intake. running 2 pcv valves.

now would this make the motor suck up more oil into the intake? or any odd effects?

or would the motor's PCV system work better since it will live in higher RPM's and a "higher performance" area then the stock PCV system was designed for?



OR I could just plug the valve cover up, and run the OEM pcv to the back of the intake and thats it.



what's your thoughts?

thanks in advance.

1989 Fox H/C/I 302 & 2013 GT 5.0 Stock 370rwhp 352rwtrq


www.youtube.com/Xarmy187

Please support my YouTube channel! My videos don't disappoint!
2.2 MILLION views (and counting) can't be wrong!!
302Army187 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old February 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Ice Cream Truck Driver
 
Spike Digidy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: COLUMBUS OH
Posts: 5,465
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Spike Digidy! Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Digidy!
its honestly ur choice, u don want some sort of evac u could just put a twist cap on ur valve cover, u could tee off ur pcv line and run 2 pcvs. or u could go bad ass and pull ur crank case gases through your exhaust, which is alot more work, but efficent and the definition of joe kick ass, or u could just put a breather on it on, either way you at least 1 vent on ur car... i personally am running 2 pcv valves w/ 3/8 hose to a tee to my carb. the valve covers i got came w/ nice chrome twist caps w/ a pcv hole in em.

MM+Cleavage Club Founder/Member #1
*MM's Thread of the YEAR*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
there was this black kid in 8th grade and i said "sup black boy?"
Spike Digidy! is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old February 9th, 2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Come at me bro
 
302Army187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 3,135
     
iTrader: 0 reviews
hmm, ive always heard running a breather will create a vacuum leak?

Im just not sure how the system works, I know it pulls in a little oil, and the motor eats it up, i just dont want this thing sucking up a ton of oil or causing other random issues.

1989 Fox H/C/I 302 & 2013 GT 5.0 Stock 370rwhp 352rwtrq


www.youtube.com/Xarmy187

Please support my YouTube channel! My videos don't disappoint!
2.2 MILLION views (and counting) can't be wrong!!
302Army187 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old February 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Tester
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 84
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanspike View Post
its honestly ur choice, u don want some sort of evac u could just put a twist cap on ur valve cover, u could tee off ur pcv line and run 2 pcvs. or u could go bad ass and pull ur crank case gases through your exhaust, which is alot more work, but efficent and the definition of joe kick ass, or u could just put a breather on it on, either way you at least 1 vent on ur car... i personally am running 2 pcv valves w/ 3/8 hose to a tee to my carb. the valve covers i got came w/ nice chrome twist caps w/ a pcv hole in em.
Could you please not use 'text-speak' it does not belong on a tech forum, Thanks

Rusty
Rusty105 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old February 9th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Ice Cream Truck Driver
 
Spike Digidy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: COLUMBUS OH
Posts: 5,465
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Spike Digidy! Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Digidy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105 View Post
Could you please not use 'text-speak' it does not belong on a tech forum, Thanks
u can blo mah :p3n15!
...on secont thought dont do that, i might like it, then itll be weird and not funny....

anyhoo, runnin a breather on ur valve covers wont give u vac leak. u only have vacuum through the intake manifold, and any hoses connected to ur vacuum. if ur eatin sum earl" change over 2 breathers, or use some baffled valve covers that keep oil from gettin sucked up....

MM+Cleavage Club Founder/Member #1
*MM's Thread of the YEAR*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
there was this black kid in 8th grade and i said "sup black boy?"
Spike Digidy! is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old February 9th, 2010, 11:47 PM
The Big Spoon
 
jessemachone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PHL -> PHX
Posts: 3,185
           
iTrader: 1 reviews
my pcv sucks up carbon and makes my throttle plate stick. I am using a little trick I learned from my pops that involves putting one of those see through fram fuel filters in line. Problem solved and no more stickeyness.
jessemachone is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old February 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM
MM Fanatic
 
nolife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,633
Blog Entries: 3
     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Your PCV will be pulling unmetered air into the intake through the breather (vac leak). If you have EFI, run either a PCV or a breather, not both.


Last edited by nolife; February 10th, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
nolife is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old February 10th, 2010, 12:33 AM
MM Fanatic
 
nolife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,633
Blog Entries: 3
     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemachone View Post
my pcv sucks up carbon and makes my throttle plate stick. I am using a little trick I learned from my pops that involves putting one of those see through fram fuel filters in line. Problem solved and no more stickeyness.
The PCV air enters the intake on the engine side of the throttle plate. Are you sure your source for build up is not the line from the valve cover to the throttle body which is before the throttle plate?

nolife is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old February 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Come at me bro
 
302Army187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 3,135
     
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolife View Post
Your PCV will be pulling unmetered air into the intake through the breather (vac leak). If you have EFI, run either a PCV or a breather, not both.
yea, thats what I thought.

any thought if two PCV's will help or hurt?

1989 Fox H/C/I 302 & 2013 GT 5.0 Stock 370rwhp 352rwtrq


www.youtube.com/Xarmy187

Please support my YouTube channel! My videos don't disappoint!
2.2 MILLION views (and counting) can't be wrong!!
302Army187 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old February 10th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Ice Cream Truck Driver
 
Spike Digidy!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: COLUMBUS OH
Posts: 5,465
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Spike Digidy! Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Digidy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolife View Post
Your PCV will be pulling unmetered air into the intake through the breather (vac leak). If you have EFI, run either a PCV or a breather, not both.

true, didnt think of that, although i run a carb...
1's fine, 2's better, although 1 is sufficent (did spell that right?) pcv dont give u horses, as long as u run 1 ull be fine.
also, im not 2 familliar w/ the fuel injected intakes, isnt there like a filter screen that keep oil from gettin in the intake????

MM+Cleavage Club Founder/Member #1
*MM's Thread of the YEAR*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
there was this black kid in 8th grade and i said "sup black boy?"
Spike Digidy! is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old February 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
FastStang91Lx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,990
         
iTrader: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanspike View Post
true, didnt think of that, although i run a carb...
1's fine, 2's better, although 1 is sufficent (did spell that right?) pcv dont give u horses, as long as u run 1 ull be fine.
also, im not 2 familliar w/ the fuel injected intakes, isnt there like a filter screen that keep oil from gettin in the intake????
Actually, many of the big racers run vaccum pumps to a pcv on both valve covers to remover crank pressure in the belief that the pressure in the block is resistance against the pistons. I guess it's proved to work.

FastStang's Ongoing projects thread Click here!
FastStang91Lx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome