PCV system question
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #1
Come at me bro

'89 LX 'Vert
10's or bust... Literally.

302Army187 has a spectacular aura about302Army187 has a spectacular aura about302Army187 has a spectacular aura about

PCV system question

About to button my motor back up.

Made the mistake of buying valve covers with a spot for a PCV valve on the driverside valvecover.....

So it would be simple, and cost a hole $3 to run a hose from the upper intake to a pcv in the valve cover, and run my normal pcv to the back of the intake. running 2 pcv valves.

now would this make the motor suck up more oil into the intake? or any odd effects?

or would the motor's PCV system work better since it will live in higher RPM's and a "higher performance" area then the stock PCV system was designed for?

OR I could just plug the valve cover up, and run the OEM pcv to the back of the intake and thats it.

what's your thoughts?

thanks in advance.

www.youtube.com/Xarmy187

Please support my YouTube channel! My videos don't disappoint!
2.2 MILLION views (and counting) can't be wrong!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Ice Cream Truck Driver

85 CARB GT / 91 FI LX

Spike Digidy! is just really niceSpike Digidy! is just really niceSpike Digidy! is just really niceSpike Digidy! is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Spike Digidy! Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Digidy!

its honestly ur choice, u don want some sort of evac u could just put a twist cap on ur valve cover, u could tee off ur pcv line and run 2 pcvs. or u could go bad ass and pull ur crank case gases through your exhaust, which is alot more work, but efficent and the definition of joe kick ass, or u could just put a breather on it on, either way you at least 1 vent on ur car... i personally am running 2 pcv valves w/ 3/8 hose to a tee to my carb. the valve covers i got came w/ nice chrome twist caps w/ a pcv hole in em.
MM+Cleavage Club Founder/Member #1
*MM's Thread of the YEAR*
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
there was this black kid in 8th grade and i said "sup black boy?"
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Come at me bro

'89 LX 'Vert

302Army187 has a spectacular aura about302Army187 has a spectacular aura about302Army187 has a spectacular aura about

hmm, ive always heard running a breather will create a vacuum leak?

Im just not sure how the system works, I know it pulls in a little oil, and the motor eats it up, i just dont want this thing sucking up a ton of oil or causing other random issues.

www.youtube.com/Xarmy187

Old February 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Tester

Rusty105 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jmanspike View Post
its honestly ur choice, u don want some sort of evac u could just put a twist cap on ur valve cover, u could tee off ur pcv line and run 2 pcvs. or u could go bad ass and pull ur crank case gases through your exhaust, which is alot more work, but efficent and the definition of joe kick ass, or u could just put a breather on it on, either way you at least 1 vent on ur car... i personally am running 2 pcv valves w/ 3/8 hose to a tee to my carb. the valve covers i got came w/ nice chrome twist caps w/ a pcv hole in em.
Could you please not use 'text-speak' it does not belong on a tech forum, Thanks
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Ice Cream Truck Driver

85 CARB GT / 91 FI LX

Spike Digidy! is just really niceSpike Digidy! is just really niceSpike Digidy! is just really niceSpike Digidy! is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Spike Digidy! Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Digidy!

Originally Posted by Rusty105 View Post
Could you please not use 'text-speak' it does not belong on a tech forum, Thanks
u can blo mah :p3n15!
...on secont thought dont do that, i might like it, then itll be weird and not funny....

anyhoo, runnin a breather on ur valve covers wont give u vac leak. u only have vacuum through the intake manifold, and any hoses connected to ur vacuum. if ur eatin sum earl" change over 2 breathers, or use some baffled valve covers that keep oil from gettin sucked up....
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #6
The Big Spoon

88 5.0 5 Speed Notch <><
never fast enough

jessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to all

my pcv sucks up carbon and makes my throttle plate stick. I am using a little trick I learned from my pops that involves putting one of those see through fram fuel filters in line. Problem solved and no more stickeyness.
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #7
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Your PCV will be pulling unmetered air into the intake through the breather (vac leak). If you have EFI, run either a PCV or a breather, not both.

Last edited by nolife; February 10th, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old February 10th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #8
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jessemachone View Post
my pcv sucks up carbon and makes my throttle plate stick. I am using a little trick I learned from my pops that involves putting one of those see through fram fuel filters in line. Problem solved and no more stickeyness.
The PCV air enters the intake on the engine side of the throttle plate. Are you sure your source for build up is not the line from the valve cover to the throttle body which is before the throttle plate?
Old February 10th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #9
Come at me bro

'89 LX 'Vert

Originally Posted by nolife View Post
Your PCV will be pulling unmetered air into the intake through the breather (vac leak). If you have EFI, run either a PCV or a breather, not both.
yea, thats what I thought.

any thought if two PCV's will help or hurt?

www.youtube.com/Xarmy187

Old February 10th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #10
Ice Cream Truck Driver

85 CARB GT / 91 FI LX

Originally Posted by nolife View Post

true, didnt think of that, although i run a carb...
1's fine, 2's better, although 1 is sufficent (did spell that right?) pcv dont give u horses, as long as u run 1 ull be fine.
also, im not 2 familliar w/ the fuel injected intakes, isnt there like a filter screen that keep oil from gettin in the intake????
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #11
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jmanspike View Post
true, didnt think of that, although i run a carb...
1's fine, 2's better, although 1 is sufficent (did spell that right?) pcv dont give u horses, as long as u run 1 ull be fine.
also, im not 2 familliar w/ the fuel injected intakes, isnt there like a filter screen that keep oil from gettin in the intake????
Actually, many of the big racers run vaccum pumps to a pcv on both valve covers to remover crank pressure in the belief that the pressure in the block is resistance against the pistons. I guess it's proved to work.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: PCV system question
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cobra electric vaccum pump to ditch PCV system wraitherx 4V / SVT 24 December 14th, 2011 10:19 PM
PCV hose question... The AdMan 2005 - 2010 2 January 14th, 2011 04:48 PM
1996 PCV question nHuman 96 - 98 5 February 8th, 2009 09:49 PM
PCV valve question MWWarlord V6 Mustangs 15 April 6th, 2008 12:56 AM
66 Mustang 200ci i6 - Change Breather to PCV type system cgstarry Classic Mustangs 3 September 2nd, 2007 03:00 PM