130 AMP Alternator
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Regular

1992 GT

mainejohn is on a distinguished road

130 AMP Alternator

If i go to napa and buy a 130 amp alternator for my 92 5.0 why would i need a new wiring or upgrade kit? shouldn't it be just fine to bolt in and go!? I am looking to get the 130 amp because i am installing U/D pullies and everyone says i will have charging issues.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Banned

flyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really nice

didn't we just have a thread from you about this?

stock wiring will melt/fry because a stock alt put out 60 at most but you can try it if you'd like.
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:26 AM   #3

1992 MUSTANG GT
N/A

WHT306 is on a distinguished road

DUDE JUST GO TO PA PERFORMANCE.COM
THESE CARS ALREADY HAVE A KNOWN ISSUE WITH THE ALT SETTING CAR ON FIRE. DO YOU REALLY WANT TO PUSH THE ENVELOPE AND HAVE IT BLAZING.
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Regular

1992 GT

yes i should got to PA perf. but i want to get it as cheap as possiable. i have read so many post on how to swap the wires and hook up a 94/94 3g alt. some say not to use the 2 black wires, just to cap them off. others say run it before the y and connect it to the alt. stud. and hook the white stator wire to the stator connection. and the other plug just plugs in. and then run a 4 gauage wire from the alt stud to the selonoid stud. SO what is the correct thing to do with the black and orange wires????????? i am going nuts here
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:21 PM   #5
Banned

flyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really nice

Dude go to the junkyard and pull one from a 94/95 mustang or tbird and cut the harness off and grab that too. Go to a sterio store or walmart and purchase some 4 gauge wiring and maxi fuse holder/fuse and go at it. It's simple and you can either cut the orange/black wires and hide them or stripe them and attach them to the hot lug on the back of the alt where your 4 gauge power wire is going (which I suggest) Eitherway don't be a total jew and try to use the stock wiring or you'll be sorry.
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Regular

1992 GT

got thanks a bunch
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

1991 notch

91sleeper will become famous soon enough91sleeper will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
Eitherway don't be a total jew and try to use the stock wiring or you'll be sorry.

damn

It can't be that fast cause it still has the stock hood.
-some punk
8 sec 1/4 times are soo 2009. Im running 6 sec slips in my dd 302 pig with street tires
Originally Posted by flattusmaximus78 View Post
Nah not even stock form. I just made it up.
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:25 PM   #8
Regular

1992 GT

okay was going great till i broke one of the ears off of my alt. brackett, i am so pissed. does any one know if the underdrive pulley for my 92 alt will fit the alternator on a 1995 130 amp?
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:21 PM   #9
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Yes, it will fit.
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:18 PM   #10
Regular

fmaster7 is on a distinguished road

didn't we just have a thread from you about this?

stock wiring will melt/fry because a stock alt put out 60 at most but you can try it if you'd like.
I got a 200 amp on my explorer and the wiring on that is perfectly fine. Is there a different between those wires and a mustangs wires?
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:57 AM   #11
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

The stock fox 2g alt wiring is a rig job of 2 10 gauge wires from the pigtail that is spliced into a single 10 gauge wire that runs to the solenoid. My 88 almost burned because of that wire splice. I was lucky enough that it melted enough that the splice fell apart and the burning stopped. That happened while the car was parked
The wire splice thing, although a rig job, is not as bad as the rig job where the pigtail attachs to the alt though, those two 10 gauge wires are attached to the alternator through some 1/4 lugs that corrode. All it takes is for one of the two lugs to have a problem from a sloppy crimp job with those cheap crimp terminals or a little corrosion which then overloads the other one and boom, flame on! The whole stock setup is an accident waiting to happen and once the average joe starts crimping new wires on or replacing pigtails without using electrical cleaner or some type dielectric grease to prevent corrosion, it gets worse.

Last edited by nolife; April 22nd, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:57 PM   #12
Regular

Originally Posted by nolife View Post
The stock fox 2g alt wiring is a rig job of 2 10 gauge wires from the pigtail that is spliced into a single 10 gauge wire that runs to the solenoid. My 88 almost burned because of that wire splice. I was lucky enough that it melted enough that the splice fell apart and the burning stopped. That happened while the car was parked
The wire splice thing, although a rig job, is not as bad as the rig job where the pigtail attachs to the alt though, those two 10 gauge wires are attached to the alternator through some 1/4 lugs that corrode. All it takes is for one of the two lugs to have a problem from a sloppy crimp job with those cheap crimp terminals or a little corrosion which then overloads the other one and boom, flame on! The whole stock setup is an accident waiting to happen and once the average joe starts crimping new wires on or replacing pigtails without using electrical cleaner or some type dielectric grease to prevent corrosion, it gets worse.
do they make an aftermarket harness thats a thicker gauge with the stock plugs on it?
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:29 PM   #13
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Maybe but the 2g alt still uses the crappy 1/4 inch spade connections so i don't think a better pigtail would help. The stud on the 3g and the other aftermarkets are a much better design. In my opinion, if your sticking with a 2g, always replace the pitail when replacing the alt and always use dielectric grease on the alt end, and use good sealed crimp terminals or solder in the other end to the single 10 gauge wire that runs back to the soleniod or better yet, run two new 10 gauge wires. Maybe I'm just paranoid but i've hadmore than one Ford with that design almost burn the car.

Last edited by nolife; April 22nd, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:38 PM   #14
Regular

Maybe but the 2g alt still uses the crappy 1/4 inch spade connections so i don't think a better pigtail would help. The stud on the 3g and the other aftermarkets are much better.
ill keep that in mind if I go to a bigger alternator on the stang
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:44 PM   #15
Regular

Maybe but the 2g alt still uses the crappy 1/4 inch spade connections so i don't think a better pigtail would help. The stud on the 3g and the other aftermarkets are a much better design. In my opinion, if your sticking with a 2g, always replace the pitail when replacing the alt and always use dielectric grease on the alt end, and use good sealed crimp terminals or solder in the other end to the single 10 gauge wire that runs back to the soleniod or better yet, run two new 10 gauge wires. Maybe I'm just paranoid but i've hadmore than one Ford with that design almost burn the car.
you wouldnt happen to know the company that makes this nicer harness would ya?
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:51 PM   #16
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

I've always got mine from a regular auto parts store. They may not be a better design but at least they are new and fresh and make good electrical contact compared to an old worn one.

These pics are linked to other sources but here is the 2g power connectors, notice the small spade connectors?

Here is a 3g, much better design.

Like what Flyingryan said, don't risk using the stock wiring on a conversion, even though the 3g has a better stud, the stock wiring back to the bat is crappy as well. If staying with a 2g, use caution and replace the pigtail harness correctly.

Last edited by nolife; April 23rd, 2010 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 130 AMP Alternator
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
150 Amp 1 Wire Alternator ridebmxfbm 5.0 Mustangs 7 February 1st, 2012 10:45 PM
105 VS 220 AMP Alternator JASonic V6 Mustangs 4 January 24th, 2009 01:59 PM
200 Amp Alternator jrs912 V6 Mustangs 1 May 31st, 2008 04:51 PM
what the highest amp alternator i can get gordon norris 5.0 Mustangs 2 January 14th, 2008 12:54 AM