Modded Mustang Forums banner

starting problems

715 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Danderson 
#1 ·
i am posting on behalf of a friend of mine bc he is at work. here is what happens.

when he goes to start the car the starter keeps turning while the engine is running.

I don't know much about fox bodies so is there anything you can suggest?
he said something about ignition switch under the dash and a separate starter selonid that is mounted by the battery. any info/tips would help thanks

#4 ·
ok update i went and saw the car for myself.

he has the battery disconnected and when he connects it the starter is trying to start the car. not sure how the 5.0 work but it seems like the starter is being grounded all the time so it trys to start once neg terminal is connected. and he has replaced the ignition under dash and had the starter relay replaced a month or so ago.

#5 · (Edited)
The starter is supposed to be grounded all of the time. The solenoid on the fender provides the + connection to make it spin. Either someone wired up the solenoid wrong, the solenoid is bad, or the the trigger lead from the ignition that controls the solenoid always has +12v. Depending on the year, the solenoid trigger from the ignition is a 16 gauge red/blue wire with a 90 degree rubber boot on it and should pull right off the solenoid. Pull it off, reconnect the battery and see if it tries to start itself. If it does, the problem is not the ignition switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.