93 LX 5.0 dies and wont start
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #1

93 LX 5.0
N/A

Woody45 is on a distinguished road

93 LX 5.0 dies and wont start

I have a stock 93 LX 5.0 that recently has taken a nack to just dying on me, doesnt appear to be fuel, because it instantly quits with no sputtering (fuel), seems to be electrical. Once it dies, I pull off the road and crank it and sometimes it will start, and once it wouldnt start for a few days. I put a new clutch in a few months ago, but nothing electrical. Please send some help my way..........Regards, Woody
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #2
King of Clubhouse

I know all about zombies!
I killed a zombie in .3 seconds

Till is a splendid one to beholdTill is a splendid one to beholdTill is a splendid one to beholdTill is a splendid one to beholdTill is a splendid one to beholdTill is a splendid one to beholdTill is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Till

Could your fuel pump just be dying?

Does it turn over like normal or a slow turn over?

Have you had your bat, alt, starter checked and what not (just incase)

Originally Posted by quickndslick2 View Post
^^go burn in a fire
Dumbass Club Founder
MM + Cleavage member #23
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #3
!oznog.rd

1988 GT VERT (Sold :(
'Cause gonzo's got a... GRRRREAT ASS!

dr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond repute

Does it start right back up when it cools off?

Mine did this and every one said to change the ignition module
this thing

I changed that about 3 times and it still died when hot. Finally I changed the distributor and that fixed it. The pick up coil inside the distributor can go bad and I just bought an entire new distributor because I didn't want to mess with wiring the pick up coil in the distributor.

Not saying this is your problem, but seems to be a consistent problem in these cars.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #4

93 LX 5.0
N/A

Not sure about starting when cooled off. Like I said the last time it died on me, it would not start and even after a few days, it still would not start. I had it towed to my house and I was able to start it to get it off the tow truck. While I am driving home from work, it dies, and I can either crank it til it starts or, pop the clutch while I am still coasting down the road. If I watch the tach, when the motor dies the tach dies too, like all electrical power is removed form the ignition. I had the alternator rebuilt a year ago, so I dont think that is it, the starter was out when I replaced the clutch two months ago. While coasting after the engine quits, the car cranks fine so I believe the battery has good volts. I seemed to get progressively worse, all occureing within a weeks time. Thanks for responses Doc Gonzo and Tiller, hope this helps. Woody

Last edited by Woody45; August 26th, 2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #5
!oznog.rd

dr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that does not sound like the problem I was having. Mine would always crank, just no start. I let it cool off for an hour and I would be good for 5 more miles and I would just keep repeating this step over and over.
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert
~5.5 seconds off TTOD :(

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so you lose electrical when heat is introduced. That makes sense - something has bad conductivity already, and as conductivity goes down the hotter something is, the heat from running is just enough to put it over the edge.

First thing I'd check is all your ground connections. And I don't mean just visually inspect them, I mean take each one apart and clean it down to clean, bare metal with a wire brush.

Once you know your grounds are good, troubleshooting will be easier. Get out the multimeter and start checking resistances. You could have an almost-blown fuse or fusible link somewhere, you coil could be going bad (mine did that), coil wire, something in the dizzy... list goes on.

But definitely start with the easy/cheap things first, and cleaning those grounds is free.
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #7

mustangproblem00 is on a distinguished road

voltage regulator could be going bad and shorting out or u have a bad ground and as the other guy said u need to do more then just look at them they should prob be cleaned
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #8
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Originally Posted by dr.gonzo View Post
Does it start right back up when it cools off?

Mine did this and every one said to change the ignition module
this thing

I changed that about 3 times and it still died when hot. Finally I changed the distributor and that fixed it. The pick up coil inside the distributor can go bad and I just bought an entire new distributor because I didn't want to mess with wiring the pick up coil in the distributor.

Not saying this is your problem, but seems to be a consistent problem in these cars.
My vote is TFI or pick up coil.... I would almost bet on it even not being there in person. TFI is the ignition module on the distributor pictured above.
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #9
!oznog.rd

Yeah but his does not even crank, even after it cools off, so I would think something is happening before it gets to the point of ignition. You can unplug the ignition control module and crank all day. Ask me how I know
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #10

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Whoops, when I went to quote you, I forgot to finish reading the thread....lol
Probably should pay attention.
Old August 26th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #11

93 LX 5.0
N/A

The motor cranks fine, just wont start, sorry for the confusion. I am going to replace both my positive and negative cables on my battery and then check all my grounds. Originally I was thinking it might be the coil, because it would only act up after the car had been running and got hot. But when I went to start it after it had been sitting all night and would not start I pretty much ruled that out. Woody

Last edited by Woody45; August 26th, 2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Regular

1986 mustang gt

1fst5.0 is on a distinguished road

U try crancking it and spraying starting fluid? Also Check for power at the coil while crancking.
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #13
Enthusiast

1989 Mustang GT
Tell ya next year

brimmer555 is on a distinguished road

Not sure its much help to ya but also check all the vacum lines. I had an Explorer that when I was driving it, it died out of nowhere and I looked under the hood and found that one of the vacum lines on the intake came off.
Old August 26th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #14

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

You should still check to make sure you have spark leaving the coil. Just cuz it didn't start in the morning doesn't mean that it's not the coil. :facepalm
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:20 AM   #15

93 LX 5.0
N/A

Seems to be running ok

Thanks to all of you that replied to my post. I took the ignition module to the local parts store and ran it through the test 7 times trying to get it to fail. I got it good and hot but passed the test every time. I went ahead and replaced it anyway, just because. I have driven it to work for two days now and no problems, knock on wood. I still have a little miss every now and then, but if you were not looking for it you would not know it was there. I put new plugs in too, the others were a little worn. Again thanks to all that posted.

Regards, Woody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 93 LX 5.0 dies and wont start
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wont idle, dies after let of gas Stangin94GT 5.0 Mustangs 20 July 24th, 2010 01:38 PM
wont start 50GT23 5.0 Mustangs 18 May 3rd, 2010 04:10 PM
START IDLE, RUNS THEN DIES slownomo All Other Vehicles 6 October 6th, 2007 11:20 AM
Need help wont start! myers215 5.0 Mustangs 5 July 11th, 2007 11:47 PM